1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot in 20 guage Any data out there?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Don't do it. There's a reason you don't find any data.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Well, there used to be because I have data from alliant (Hercules) that lists Red Dot buried in the mess I call my reloading room. It must have been a marginal loading and their attorneys probably advised them to ditch the data. If you can find an older manual, it's in there.

Jeff

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yes, several.

Go to SGW, Reloading, and search for 'Red Dot & 20 gauge' and 'Promo & 20 gauge' with Case = author.

Bob

4. larry byers

larry byers TS Member

Red Dot is not good for 20ga. Sell the red dot and buy a powder suited for the 20 ga. I use Long Shot, 20-28 is a good powder. LWB

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes. there is data.. but I don't suggest Red Dot for 20 gauge unless you are loading 11/16th oz.. or 3/4 max.. at 7/8oz.. pressure was all over the board.. and with the piss poor primers of today.. Why go there..??? Unique would be a much better,safer,powder

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

SteveL-CT:

The burn rate of Red Dot is too fast for 7/8 ounce 20 gauge target loads. Red Dot is NOT an acceptable powder for 20 gauge loads with one exception.

Hercules Powder Company (Alliant's corporate predecessor) did publish a few 20 ga. recipes in the late 80's and early 90's for *** 3/4 ounce *** loads. Most called for obsolete hulls, primers, etc. However, the 1992 Reloader's Guide includes a recipe using a Remington Premier hull, a Rem209P primer and a RXP20 wad.

Because of a small powder charge and the reduced 3/4 ounce shot charge, the recipe requires the use of 2 each, 1/8 inch, .410 card wads in the bottom of the shot cup in order to get a decent crimp.

There was a similar recipe using AA hulls and Winchester components. I loaded a few of the Winchester version years ago. They worked but they're a PIA to load.

If you can't find a copy of the 1992 guide, drop me a PM with an address and I'll snail mail you a photo copy.

sissy

Edited addition:

Red Dot is great for it's intended purposes. For example, Red Dot is wonderful for one ounce loads in 12 gauge. It burns entirely too fast for standard 7/8 oz. 20 gauge payloads. It generates to much pressure in the 20 ga. That's the "evil magic".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16ga red dot data
20 ga red dot data
20 gauge red dot loads
promo 20 gauge loads

red dot 20 gauge load data

red dot loads for 20 ga
red dot powder in 20 guage reloads
reload 20 gauge red dot