1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot----American Select ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Alliant Reloading, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Hello Roger,
    Red Dot(R) and American Select(R) are not the same. American Select is more similar to Green Dot(R) than Red Dot in terms of burn speed. Both make excellent target loads, but are different.
    Please call Ben at 800/276-9337 for assistance working up a good load with either, and thanks for considering our American made shotshell powders.
    Shoot well,
    Paul

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

American select may be the BEST of any domestic 12 ga target powder!

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I agree with SC. Take Paul's advice and call Ben. Red Dot is a very forgiving powder despite it's speed. American Select is not.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- American Select may, or may not be the best domestic powder, but I believe the three top domestic powders available have been mentioned in this thread (American Select, Red Dot, Green Dot).

Pat Ireland

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Here is a vote for Alliant E3.

I switched from 700X to Alliant E3 this summer and love it. Per the Alliant web site, E3 has the same burn rate as Red Dot. Here is some info from the Alliant Web Site.

Named after its core qualities of energy, efficiency and excellence, this exciting new powder offers 12-gauge target shooters a high-performance product that stands apart from the rest.

• Clean burning

• Low charge weight efficiency

• Consistent performance

My experience is that the information on the Alliant Web Site is spot on. It is super clean. As the temperature drops, I have had no off sounding loads. It costs a few bucks more than Red Dot or 700X but, IMO, its well worth it.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

school_teacher- Try this little exercise with the costs of e3 and Red Dot. Convert the 8 pounds of power into grains and then divide the number of grains in each shell into the number of grains in 8 pounds. Next divide the number of shells you can load from 8 pounds into the cost of 8 pounds. This will give you the cost of the powder in each shell. E3 can actually come out less expensive than Red Dot for many loads. The cost of an 8 pound jug can be deceptive.

Pat Ireland

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Yep, I was going to mention the same thing Pat just did, e3 winds up being less expensive per shell (in my reloads) than Red Dot does. I've been very please with e3. I use it for 7/8, 1 oz, and 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads. On to Green Dot for 3 dram 1 1/8 oz laods, and AA Super Handicap for 1250 fps handicap loads.

I've never tried American Select. Any advantages to it over what I'm currently using?

~Michael

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Pat

You are absolutely right about the THREE best powders. I think AS is better than RD becasue it is cleaner. I like it better than GD because it takes less to do the job. It is a super clean powder, and is extremely versatile. GD does not like slow light shot loads, and RD does not like fast heavy shot loads.

I loaded E3 for 24 gram Bunker loads and loved it.

I have gone back to the 25 lb kegs of REX I because I am a cheapskate and I like the powder. I load only 7/8 and 1 oz loads in the 12. The packaging leaves something to be desired. LOL

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Pat, you are correct in that E3 can possibly be less costly than an equivalent load of Red Dot (or 700X) due to E3 being more efficient.

My favorite Federal Paper load uses 18.5 grains of 700X, a F209A primer, a Claybuster 3118 12AR wad (12C1 clone) and 1 1/8 oz of shot to yield 1145fps. Per the Alliant web site, this load can be duplicated using 16.5 grains of E3. This works out to 10.8% less powder.

It looks to me that E3 really shines as to efficiency in 2 ¾ dram equivalent 1 1/8 oz loads, especially in AA hulls.

Ed Ward

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The rumor was Promo was a mix of red dot and American Select. Just because they did it, doesn't mean you can.

I've used a ton of American Select. Used, Red Dot, titewad, titegroup, green dot, promo, 700x, clays, and others I can't remember. Besides for possibly titegroup (good stuff, but it was hard to find), American select is by far the best powder I've used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.