1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot - - - 700X - - - ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Yesterday and Saturday, I shot several rounds of trap at our club. Temperatures both days were in the low thirties.

My standard loads have been 1oz #8, 18.3 grains Red dot, Windjammer 1oz wads, STS hulls, and Winchester primers. The shells sat in the back of my SUV overnight. So, they were somewhat chilled.

I noticed, as did fellow shooters, that a lot of the shells had a rather "hollow" sound when they went off; not the usual sound.

Now, the Wednesday before, I tried out some 700X in Federal Hulls, with 1oz, and Federal Wads. The reports were definitely sharper, even in similar weather conditions.

Is the Red Dot load considered a "warm weather" load? We discussed in the club house, and comments were decidedly mixed (!?!?).

Any one else like to chime in? Comments, explanations, emotional outbursts?

Thanks.

Best,
    Dennis

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Could be the wad change, couldn't it, Dennis? When it gets cold I use Federal primers and everything seems to shoot about the same, which is OK, and I use Red Dot, mostly.

Neil

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It was because you were not using chilled shot. I agree with Neil use a hotter primer and it should solve your problems.

Don

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have found the same thing. When the temp. is under 50, I switch to e3 or Clays and the trouble goes away.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Put a real WAA12SL or TGT wad in that load and there will not be any problem. Its the wad. I have used Red Dot with temps below 0 and have never encountered problems.

6. atashooter

atashooter Member

Year round with Red Dot and no problems here. Coldest temp I've shot was 25 deg F.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use 16.3 grains of 700X and claybuster wads in AA old style cases with both one ounce and 7/8 ounce. There might be a little lighter report with the 7/8 ounce in the winter, but they still whack targets ok.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with Martin - skip the 8 petal wads for a test to prove it to your own self.....Bob Dodd

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

pendennis:

For cold weather shooting, I take warm bullets from my house and haul them to a warm clubhouse. When I take the line, the bullets are in a cardboard box which in turn gets stuffed in a leather bullet box.

Even in REALLY cold weather, the thermal mass of the bullets, the insulating qualities of the cardboard box & leather box holder, and the limited time it takes to shoot a round means bullets don't have a chance to cool down much.

I suppose I could switch wads, change to Federal 209A primers, and add a half grain of powder to my loads but I do it the hard way instead. I just don't let my bullets sit around in the cold unnecessarily.

Problem solved.

Tongue in cheek, sissy

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Federal Top Gun, Estates, Gold Medals and Papers....I load all with Federal wads and a Federal 209A primer...for powder I have always used 700X with absolutely no problems (cold and hot weather).

You can buy cheaper than Federal, but you can't buy a better quality. It only cost a nickel more to go first class!

Curt

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I haven`t changed my loads in 5 years and don`t seem to have any problems with temp . I use STS hulls , claybuster 1 oz wads , 15.6 gr 700X and the cheapest primers I can find - now are Fiocchi`s but would rather have Cheddites or the Russian whatevers . I use what works without constantly switching . I shoot all winter in NJ and keep the shells in the back of a pickup truck .

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot Red Dot in extremely low temperatures, even as low as 50 degrees. The powder worked fine for me. Absolutely no powder will shoot in my gun at below 50 degrees.

Pat Ireland

13. bigben

bigben Active Member

Dennis, any of powders will perform however the one MOST important thing is the wad! use an oem wad, [you found out with the Federls] just for kicks load up the if 1 oz. using win, AA12sl or remington tgt-12's; or if shooting 1 1/8, 12s3 Feds fig 8 Remington or AA12 winchester load em, put in the freezer for a while, take out and shoot! big difference! iuncinerate em!

14. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I load both powders and have never had trouble in cold weather and I have shot in a winter league with temps around 0.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As I get older, my gun also does not shoot in cold weather. I agree with Pat I.

16. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I use 700x in below 0 weather,never messed with red dot so dont know a lot about it!

17. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Ok, A lot of information here. I had a similar problem last month at my home club. I usually don't shoot durning hunting season, but had a chance last month. I load 16.5 grains of Red Dot, Claybuster 1oz pink wad, Rem. 209 primer in STS hull. Some of my loads sounded a little off but still broke targets when I did my part. Buy the way this is my 16 yard load. My handicap load is 17 grains Red Dot Claybuster Figure 8 wad, 1 1/80z shot, Rem. 209 primer, Nitro hull. This load seemed to preform better, may have had 1 or 2 out of a 100 that may have sounded a little off. These loads work well in spring and summer, lite and don't kick a lot for me. Do the Claybuster wads seem to become harder in cold weather than other wads? Is the Rem. 209's not as hot as the CCI or Federal 209's? Would loading the shells a little heavier ( meaning a heaver power charge within powder limits cure problem )? The tempature that day low 40's with wind chills in 30's.

John

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

John, I think a WW 209 or Federal 209A primer would be a better choice in the kind of weather you mention.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x power throwing heavier that red dot

red dot compared to 700x

which power will throw a heavier charge red ddot or 700x