1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycling primer trays

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Sailor, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have been cleaning up my long neglected reloading room this past week, and discovered I had 20 some boxes of empty primer trays under the junk piled on one end of the bench. I have donated several trays around the house to be used as coasters under drinks, given some away for coasters, and the other 18 or 20 boxes are going in the recycling. My wife said "Why don't you ask the guys on Trapshooters what they do with them? They must have a use for them, or their wives use the trays for crafts or something." I remember years ago one TSer filled them up with fired primers put them back in the boxes and shipped them off to a friend across the country, but I'm not sure how that ended.
    So, my question is - what do you do with your empty primer trays?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I chuck them in the trash...

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Glue them to 4 X 6 plywood, or what ever size you need, and use the different colored spent primers to spell out the club name. I think the youth at Amarillo Gun Club in Texas has a very nice one. Ray

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Hummingbird egg cartons?

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I keep one around in case I have a bunch of loose primers to re-align. ;-)

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Miniature ice cubes........breakemall

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BDodd wins!!! I'm gonna wash one up and do it. Then this evening i'm gonna make my pre-shoot High Ball and put those little tiny ice cubes in there. Thanks for the idea. :)

9. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I use them to store hex screwdriver bits.

They fit just right. I cut them in strips of two and attach them to the wal. You can put the bits in them so they don't get lost.

10. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I like the screw driver storage idea, as well as the ice cube tray idea, but I found the ice cubes (rounds?) are a bugger to get out. I just end up with miniscule chips that melt too fast in a drink. Stokinpls - why do you have loose primers? Just put them in the primer tray on your loader, and when they are all gone, put in the next lot. The club name board idea is a good one, too, but how do you drag the kids off the range and get them to glue all those little primers in the appropriate spot? Our juniors love to shoot, and will do anything on the ranges to facilitate shooting, but I don't know how excited they would be to make a sign like that. Are there any more suggestions?

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My wife uses them around the kitchen to put spoons on while mixing, cooking, etc. Throws them away after use. Tells me to "make some more"

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

"Ice Cube trays" Nice one. To be honest I've never given it any thought. I just tossed-em out. Coaster idea is real good this time of year. jeff

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would wonder what kind of chemicals from the primers and the plastic your ingesting using them to make ice or to hold kitchen spoons...

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

skeet man--Of course they need to be washed first. I really did make some mini cubes and dropped them in my High Ball last night. I had a heck of a time getting them out of the tray. The tray wouldn't flex like normal ice cube trays. I had to let them sit on the counter for a minute. My 3 year old thought the little mini cubes were neat and had to have some in his juice...LOL

They melt very fast. Watered down my drink so i had to slam it. Not worth doing again. Scratch this as a practical use. Back to the drawing board. :)

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

They are excellent for starting seeds - very small seeds!

16. new loader

new loader Member

I used some for gravemarker for beloved dog.

17. new loader

new loader Member

I used some to make gravemarker for my beloved dog.

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/newloader/?action=view&current=Chipper_marker.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/newloader/?action=view&current=Chipper6.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Use them to bake "very low calorie" cupcakes!!

Now only eat one or two per day. Oh, and remember to spray the trays with some Pam before filling with batter.

Phil

19. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

New loader, my condolences on the loss of your dog. I had to put mine down last December. Still miss him every day. As far as the primer trays, I will be watching for you guys on Hoarders. Get help. ha ha

20. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

We use hummingbird manure for our finest orchids. We carefully empty the 40-pound bags into empty primer trays for later use. I've found 6 or 7 "holes" worth of manure to be perfect for pre-bloom fertilizing. Later we taper down to 3 "holes" for monthly application for each plant.

To build up my stock of trays, I bought them for $10 each until I had a thousand. I now have plenty. Lots of reloaders were anxious to sell them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
any use for primer trays

empty primer trays