1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycling Mercury to make recoil reducers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 4andy10, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I have access to mercury and have thought about attempting to make recoil reducers like the Breako brand. any thoughts on doing this? 4andy10

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Be very careful. A couple of minor spills in your place and it may be a hazardous waste site with expensive clean up. Do a search for dentist office clean up and you may change your mind. Sounds like a good idea, just be very careful. I have had to clean up several spills and it is a pain.

Good luck,

Mike

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Mercury will work in a recoil reducer, but no more effectively than any other material of equivalent weight.

If your mercury is clean, there is a surplus metal market that will buy the stuff if you can get it to a dealer.

I know one trap shooter in Virginia who sold 10 pounds of mercury to a bench rest shooter. Mercury will dissolve lead and is great for cleaning rifle barrels. The cleaning process must be done in private.

Do not sell the mercury to young kids who want to rub it on a dime and make is shinny. Most Drug Stores used to do this but all have stopped the practice. If you spill a little on the floor and use your finger to push the mercury balls onto a piece of paper and then pour it back into the bottle, you will not die from the exposure.

Pat Ireland

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Nasty stuff if it is not used and stored properly. Brownells has several brands of reducers in the 50-60 dollar range. Sell it or turn it in. Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green Ohio has a major mercury recycling center. Contact them. Gold prospectors us it also to refine their gold but it is pretty much a bootleg operation as they are not supposed to do it but it happens. Bill

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I can't confirm it but I asked a physicist who told me that the mechanical advantage if the movement over static weight was about 10% so why not just used a piece of lead steel or brass and make it weigh 10% more? My math's not good enough to prove it but I believe he would be right.
    Joe Goldberg

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The best I've found for reducing felt recoil is melted wheel weights encased in copper tubing. Can be easily cut for length and it's very cheap compared to costs mentioned above buying commercial mades. Quicker acting on rearward movement than spring loaded or mercury weights too. Hap

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I've heard that a little lead between the ears helps! LOL
    Joe

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sell the mercury to a gold prospector. Take the black sand, pour it in a hollowed out potato with a splash of Mercury, bake for an hour, and you have gold amalgam which can be reduced to a pure gold. 1849 system for reducing small flakes to a nugget.

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Will any potato work ? LOL

10. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Doesn't ruin the taste of the potato? ME

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I did a bit couple of years ago showing the innards of many of the current reducers.

Honestly, the Mercury doesn't work - only thing it does is add weight.

You'd be better off just putting shot in a tube and inserting that in the butt-stock.

When you look at the inner design (there is NO design), you'd see why it is a not a good one. A plastic button with a 1/4" hole drilled in it, and pour in some Mercury.

I'll see if I can find that photo I took of several I machined apart.

Whiz

[​IMG]

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Heres how I add weight to my shotguns.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=recoilreduction.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I can cut the copper tubing to size after I fill it with melted wheel weights. Theres several different sizes of straight tubing available that will fit almost any stock bolt hole. Much cheaper than buying gimmick weights and works better/quicker. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.