1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycled Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hit-it, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hit-it

hit-it TS Member

I am thinking of using Recycled shot. I was wondering if any damage could be done to a barrel if anything but lead is present. Seems like it would be pretty hard to remove all foreign Materials. With the price of barrels and the thought of damaging one is it worth it. Thanks Mike K.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Where I am reclaimed and re-dropped shot is the norm. Been shooting it for at least 25 years and haven't hurt a gun yet.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not be overly concerned about used shot hurting your barrel, but the stuff does really hurt your pattern.

Pat Ireland

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I don't shot much handicap any more but the reclaimed shot I bought patterns fine with an IM choke for 16 yards, plus it's lighter and a bit faster than new stuff because it's harder lead.

Morgan

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Morgan- Reclaimed shot was new shot that was shot at targets and then fell to the ground. It was later picked up, cleaned and used again. It cannot be lighter, faster or harder than it was when it was new shot.

Reclaimed shot is not the same thing as homemade shot from wheel weights.

Pat Ireland

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I heard that after 5 yrs. if not mined, it oxidizes and loses some of its weight. I dont know how significant but Morgan could have a valid point.

Anyway at nearly 50.00 a bag for new it still looks good.

Regards...Gerald

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

Just be aware that most reclaimed shot will be mixed sizes, so a fixed bar will throw shot charges less than they are marked. To get .94 ounce on a mec I had to use the 1 1/8 oz bar and wad. I ended up using a full choke and I've broken quite a few 25's with it. The skeet shooters love it.
    John

8. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

wen you reload it use (steel shot wads) and you wont have to wory about your barrel

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The charge is lighter due to pellet deformation so it doesnt pack uniformly in the charge bar.

In limited experiments I have yet to equal scores fired with new shot even when using more of the reclaimed. ie any charge of reclaimed 7/8 to 1 1/8 gave lower scores than 7/8 of new.

It may perform better if it was processed to remove the sharper edges of the dents and dings but you risk lead poisoning by handling it. The lead oxide and carbonates come off as dust.

YMMV but it was an interesting test.

Bob Dodd: what happened to your scores with it? If equal, did you compensate by using a different choke to make it work?

thanks

10. hit-it

hit-it TS Member

Landyn16-- Have you used the steel shot wads and what is the benefit to them ? Would you use the same wads as in lead. Such as 1oz wad for steel for a 1oz lead load. Thanks Mike K.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The reclaimed lead I shoot has been cleaned and tumbled with new graphite. I do know it's a mix of 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 and some 9's. I shoot 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads with it. In the last registered shoot using this reclaimed lead I shot a 95 & 99. from the 16. I ran 137 straight. It sure works well for me.

12. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

I am reclaiming some shot. Got a few gold screws from a gold miner friend of mine. Im finding that a lot of the flattened shot is falling out the bottom with the fine sand and stones. Its a bit slow but free. $ 1.75 a box is good shooting. Plott Hound

13. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

For those in Northern CA I have reprossed shot. As new. $35.00 per bag while it lasts. I will be at Coon Creek this weekend, if anyone is interested contact me. I live in Elk Grove. Jim

14. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

I shoot 7/8 oz of reclaimed shoot regularly. I shoot 97' and 98 consistantly with this load. I am not real certain why, but it seems the lower charge does not blow the pattern as bad as a higher charge load would. We have lights at the club that are so bright, you can see the shot string reflection. My shot seems to be as tight as everyone elses. I love the cost of the shot, and the reduced recoil is great. If I do my part, the birds disappear in nice puffs of smoke. The 2 or three I miss, I can not blame on the load- I blame the guy behind the stock.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Superdog1- I would have more confidence is shooting some patterns on paper than how my shot string looked under the lights compared to others.

I have shot some good scores with used shot, but I have no way of knowing if my scores would have been just a little better if I had been using new shot.

Pat Ireland

16. gussy

gussy TS Member

Usually reclaimed shot sells for about 1/2 the price of new or remanufactured shot. The quality of this stuff is variable but best case is that it will work okay from the 16 yard line. Use it for practice and non registered events. Don't worry about hurting your barrel. Forget about using reclaim shot in the small guages, the stuff doesn't drop well through the smaller shot tubes and the finished shells pattern very poorly.

17. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I just melt it down and run it thru the shot maker. Got 1500 lbs right now and plan on digging up another 1000 lbs soon as it gets warm and a lot dryer in this neck of the woods.

Jim

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Where can I get recycled shot in Virginia?...Thanks, Bill

19. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Shoot it you won't know the difference because it either does not exist or will be to small to even measure. I did rent a mixer ( finding one in good shape so I did not lose he shot while tumbling it) and tumbled mine and not that many deformed shot are even present. Only conclusion I came up with is maybe bad shooting and never hit a target.

Try some heavy shot and see how it patterns. That stuff is dear drop shaped and it does real good on the paper.

Rock

Jim

20. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Re above threads by Bob Dodd and Pat Ireland, I agree that reclaimed shot has been recovered, cleaned, usually re-graphited, but not redropped or sized. I can agree with those that say it's fine for singles, doubles, and skeet, but my pattern testing at 40/42 yards shows a definate deterioration of 30" density, along with numerous flyers compared with factory or other "new" shot loads.
    Recycled shot has been recovered, cleaned, remelted, dropped, and separated and bagged in the appropriate sizes. This is the process used by Larry Stockman of Northwest Shot in Medford, Oregon. I'm quite certain that NW shot also contains lead from other sources (wheelweights, etc.) As with my good (and old..heh heh) friend Bob Dodd, I've been using NW shot for as long as I can remember, and have done quite a lot of measuring sizes and unscientific pattern testing, mostly at 40 and 42 yards. The 30" circle count compares favorably with the same tests with various popular factory shells.
    As Pat stated, reclaimed shot can become no harder nor larger than its original composition. Recycled shot could become softer with the addition of softer leads from other sources, and seemingly, could become harder with the addition of more antimony.

Here's my questions:

Can the antimony content of reclaimed/recycled shot be measured by any practical method where the end result could be adjusted by the addition of antimony where a content of say, 6 percent, could be realistically predicted and claimed?

If lead with a known antimony content is remelted and redropped, not mixed or contaminated with lead from unknown sources, does the original antimony content remain the same or is there a loss from the processing?

Thanks

Larry Addison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.