1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recruiting New Members

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

What activities does your shooting club use to create "New Shooters" or to recruit "New Members"?

What has been most succesful?

What do you think is the average age of your current members?

How much "more $ per round" do non-members pay?

Our club could us more shooters/members. The facilities are under-utilized most of the time, and the bank account could use some improvement.

Thanks in advance for your responses....

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

We offer free funeral plots! There are NO young shooters anymore it seems!

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

This notice is going to all gun clubs in our area. Our Hiyu Indians meet annually and we also would like to build our membership. Anybody on this site who might be interested, send me an email to the address above.

"We are looking forward to our upcoming 75th Anniversary Powwow. All of our original members have passed on but more than half of our current members have been with us more than ten years, two members - more than 60 years. We are returning to our program of meeting Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the last weekend in September at the Spokane Gun Club, and will welcome new members who enjoy shooting a variety of clay target events and the good friendships that come for shooters and their spouses who socialize at the many other events planned during the shoot.

If you would like to join us as a guest for our 2008 Powwow, tell a member or send for a guest request to Homer Evers, Spokane, and we will contact you." (or to keithmiles@verizon.net)

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If really trying to get NEW members how about this
    Every current member who can get 2 new members gets a 1/2 off dues for their renewal.
    Our problem is not so much membership but member participation.

2. Ever think of running an add in local paper?
    3. How many events do your members go to other than shooting at your club. Fishing trips hunting etc ect? Do the local FFL dealers give club info in your area
    4. I always thought of this as good idea. If some one buys a gun at your local dealers they can get a one time reduced membership.

5. I will tell you what I think is the big problem. Just lack of exsposure,every other type of club is rammed down your face in mailings at super markets etc etc. What you need to do is get your members to flood local events and fundraisers. Be the local organization that really steps forward to help out. Be the ones who make it possible for the cub scouts girl scouts to do everything they need to do. Our problem at our club is 1200 members 20% participate?

We have a few things that get members and $$$thru the door. Machine gun shoot fishing durby for kids. boy/girl scout shoots. Wasnt shooting one of the badges? I know I did archery and .22.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I was thinking you ment local club members, not ATA. There are only 2 of us at our club shooting ATA. Most dont bother, say its not worth it. I like shooting ATA.

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Are you a trap-only club? When you say "activities" are you speaking of trapshooting activities only? Or are you speaking of all shooting activities? If your property size, layout, and location related to the surrounding community permits, look at blackpowder, archery, Cowboy Action shooting, IDPA and other action pistol, pistol & carbine & sniper facilities to rent to local law enforcement agencies, a shooting house for law enforcement & military to rent, skeet, 5-stand, Highpower rifle, DCM matches, youth .22 rifle, intro classes for youth, ladies-only pistol & trap classes, sight-in days on the weekends before hunting season, and opening up a rifle and/or pistol range for paying use by the nonmember public. There will be clubs nearby that are doing these things, from whom you can get ideas. The big problem (assuming you have land, & money to build) will be getting volunteers who will be willing to take the lead and then follow-through on an activity. It's my opinion that ladies-only introductory pistol classes and hunter sight-in days could get you the most new members (assuming you already have range safety officers to carefully watch the nonmember shooters, and good, experienced, trained, certified instructors in your club for the ladies classes,) and rental to local law enforcement could have the hottest income potential. Phil E

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I joined our local IWLA due to the SCTP shooting team I was on shot there. Supporting youth programs oughta do the trick. I dragged my Dad into it as well.

There are a few problems as I see it, in recruiting youth shooters. Political correctness, cost, and some of more unfriendly shooters.

My folks were not 'shooters' by any menas, nor hunters. So I had to talk them into taking me, but that's apparently not very common. The trick is to make it EASY to LEARN. Cost is self-explanitory. When I was first starting out, I was exposed to some VERY unfriendly people who were intolerant of
    newbies' or someone talking on the line trying to give advice, or a target that wasn't perfect, etc. That was a real turn-off.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will gladly pay the membership dues for the next 5 years to anyone who brings out a new shooter who joins the ATA and shoots at least one ATA event the first year. This offer is made not because I feel generous, it is made because my club has no membership dues.

Pat Ireland

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The club I belong to does not directly/intentionally recruit new members. They use the same technique the Masons use to attract members.

The club is actively involved in some high-visibility community and conservation work. That puts it into the public eye. Then those who have an interest in joining can ask about doing so. The retention rate for people who are "recruited" is really poor. Most seem to have been convinced that they should become members, re-think their decision during the first several months and disappear within half a year. Using the Masonic approach assures that those who ask for membership do it because it's THEIR idea.

Morgan

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If every member brought in one new mwmber, your club would double in size. Assuming 80% of your members are fat, lazy ass do nothings, your membership would still grow 20% and double in 5 years. Raise your dues $200.00 per year and give a $200.00 rebate to those that bring in a new member. The really worthless members would quit, good riddance, and the money raised from the others could go to running a marketing program for more new members.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hey Big Heap.....Is dem indians any kin to the Fugarwee tribe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.