1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recover lead shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How whould this work out for personal recovery of lead shot?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

While that may be true,M R DUCKS, It is an easy way to get lead for remelting and running thru your shot maker.

Jim :)

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thats what I was thinking Jim. Our trap range is closed on saturdays. I was thinking How long would it take to sift out a hundred or so pounds of shot. I wouldnt try to clean it good enough to reshoot. Thinking more of smelting down for shot making. Im just wondering if this unit or type would help that process. I have tried a few sample runs so far for for sifting shot. Just skimming the first few inches. I think i found the heavy spot in the fall zone.
    I got about 20lbs one day. but with the small sifters i had it was rather painfully slow. Useing a something like the web site shows may speed things up?

4. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

Cement mixer.. get about 50 pounds of steel BB's.. 150 to 200 pounds of lead shot.. Remove paddles and line with neopreme.. install 6 or 8 neo paddles.. about 3" high.. Tumble for 3 hours on high speed.. wash a few times during the tumble.. remove steel BB's with magnet.. You can make a sifter with 6" pipe.. a set of 6 plates on an angle with holes drilled.. The big shot funnels off to the top.. smaller goes farther down the pipe.. plates are on an angle so everything goes thru a sieve. Depending on the vibrator.. as quickly as you can hand feed the shot.. it goes thru.. Then dry.. and tumble with graphite.. The shot.. for the most part is round.. and clean.. Now.. let me say this.. for practice.. Just tumble.. wash clean.. dry.. graphite.. and I spray a few shots of tri-flo while on the last tumble..(like lubaloy shot of the 60's)..I don't sort.. steel polish..or anything.. just clean.. lube and shoot.. I've shot countless 25's and 50 straights from the 16.. which is as good as I ever shot..Once shot a 94 in practice.. Which for cheap practice.. EVERY MISS was my fault.. Now.. I don't think I'd go into a match with reclaimed shot.. but I wish I had a drum of it for practice.. BTW.. Will anyone be selling reclaimed lead at the "GRAND"???? All Good

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I went out and scraped the top layer off with a scoop shovel. Filled up 5-5 gallon buckets. Ran them with water though my cement mixer. I ended up with 85 pounds of reclaim and ran it though the shotmaker as Jim suggested.

My-stores, can you explain your sorting method with the pipe a little(maybe a picture) and what do the steel BB's do?

Ajax

6. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

The steel BB's.. when tumbles with lead help round out the lead.. especially with soft shot.. I'm off to Italy in AM.. but I'll make a drawing and send it to you when I return.. All Good

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Before you go skimming to much of your clubs soil you had better check with them if it's alright. Mining of shot is a huge revenue source for clubs with the price of lead where it is currently. Of course you are paying them aren't you???

Don

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Our club mines (in water) the lead out about every 7-8 years. Each time the financial gan has been substantial.

Of course you could always pick up unbroken targets and sell them too. J/K

The above URL gets you to the company that makes the real thing.

HM

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hey My-stores, are you back yet? What about the pipe?

Ajax

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

Like everyone else, I'm shocked by the price of shot and what it might do in the future. Our club presently shoots into a grove of large trees (hey, it's the Ozarks!) and I just know we're sitting on a lead mine, since the club has been shooting at the same site for at least 20 years. I'm trying to change that, but it's slow going.

As a total novice: why can't I just go scoop up some of the top soil around the trees, wash away the dirt, run the lead thru my brass tumbler and load it as is? I realize there will be mixed sizes etc but for practice from the 16 I don't see why it won't work (no steel shooting here, so that's not a worry). No one at the club would care. Serious answers please.
    John

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

John, you can. When I have time I also do the same thing, only I have a shotmaker so I run it through that. The brass tumbler normally won't do very well because of the weight and they don't hold very much.

Ajax

12. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Recovering lead shot is so easy a caveman could do it. First you get permission to pick it up. I have two screens. one slides on top of the other.With them sitting on metal saw horses, I put a scoop shovel of dirt into the top screen. I only go about an inch deep in the dirt. #6 and smaller shot goes through the top screen . Then shake the bottom screen, dirt and dust fall through. #8 and larger shot stay in the screen, along with about ten million little rocks. Pour twenty or so pounds in a contractors wheel barrow. Tip the handles down to let shot roll to the back. As the shot rolls to the front of the wheel barrow blow the trash out with a leaf blower. Repeat this five or six times. Be careful not to get the blower too close or you'll blow the shot out. I use my blower on the low setting. I use an old deep dish pan to graphite it and run it through a sieve to take the #6's out. It works for me.Bud Ruth

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

bump for more threads

14. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

We use rotating sifter/blowers that were designed and built by Bob Watts from WA. They are very effecient but small, better suited for small clubs 2-6 traps than the bigger towed units. We can do around trees and such. We are adding a skid steer and hopper system eliminating much hand work. By hand we have picked up two barrels a day (4000+lbs). If your club is interested in mining the lead call me 520 820-4910 Mike McNeeley, we have some time left for next years schedule.

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Halfmile,

Can you tell me which club it is that reclaims in water? We just recently closed a local club because it shot into a lake. It was 28 year old, and has never been mined. If we could find someone to recover all that lead, it would go a long way toward acquiring new grounds.

Thanks,
    Kip

16. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

who would have ever thought that we'd be panning for lead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to graphite lead shot

sorting lead shot