1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recondition paper shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KCDODSON, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCDODSON

KCDODSON TS Member

How to recondition once fired Fed. paper shells. I remember that once there was a heating iron that was used to straighten out the mouths of paper shells. Does anyone know if it is still in production. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You can go to the Dollar Store and buy a small woman's hair curling iron. There are various sizes and the one size(don't know it's exact diameter) works just perfect for heating hulls. I just use my wifes, she just doesn't know that.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I imagine the wife does not need to use any hair spray, as long as it is not real hot outside. LOL

I have heard that you can put them in the oven at 200 degrees or so for like three or four minutes, or until they are "al dente" with the brass up and the wax flows down to crimp area. Then before they cool you ream the crimp opening with some tapered type of gadget. I would think something metal, and cold would work best. This also makes the paper layers bind together for a better crimp.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Unless they are swollen due to humidity, I'd load them as is. Heating and repeated heating will result in quicker burn-through and fraying.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There was a thread on this the other day, might try looking it up. Someone had a very elaborate procedure for revitalizing his hulls.

I did an experiment where I took 25 hulls and put them in the oven. They had been reloaded once and the mouths were getting a bit soft. I ran them at 200 deg for 10-15 minutes. They didn't look or feel any different when I pulled them out. But the next morning the crimp area had completely hardened back up. The next loading looked totally factory.

I don't believe that Federal uses wax in the paper anymore. It seems to be a thermoplastic.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Get a board and put 100 nails on it. Place your hulls on the nails, primer side on top and place in oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes like Stl. Flyn said. Suggest leave them in oven until the wax comes out of the shell, usually under 10 minutes. After they cool, place them in plastic bags so they don't swell due to humidity. Using the heating device takes way to long in my opinion.
    Steve Balistreri

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I only get a couple of reloads out of them before they pin-hole near the base. All this hardly seems worth the effort.
    JMAC

8. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I am missing something here. Why would you want to melt the wax out of the hull?

Charlie

9. grntitan

You do not want it to melt completely out. You are simply wanting it to re-saturate the paper of the hull evenly. You are just attempting to bring it back to the way it was when it was new. For the most part, I don't mess with heating mine all the time. I just stated what I have used before to accomplish it.

10. baflstang

baflstang Member

@grntitan You use your wifes curling iron so she will have that just fired Paper Champion perfume. You can't fool these folks on here. lol

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Dip the mouths of the hulls in melted candle wax, put them on a cookie sheet and put them on your grill heated to 200 degrees for 5 minutes or so.

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here's my paper hull reconditioner. Deprimes, sizes, and heats wax, all at once.

Ed Yanchok
    [​IMG]

13. grntitan

Cool piece Ed. Manufactured or homemade??

14. Ed Y

Manufactured by Texan

[​IMG]

15. Ed Y

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

... put them in a trash bag in the trunk of a dark car for a couple of days, and the ends are re-waxed just fine.

Bob

17. grntitan

Very neat Ed. I had never seen a case/hull conditioner with the additional hull heater. Being it's a Texan make, I assume it's a vintage piece? Just when you thought you had seen it all.

18. Ed Y

Not quite antique vintage yet. It works great but there's no room on my bench for it.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal paper shells remelt wax

paper hull wax
paper shell conditioner
paper shotgun hulls

paper shotshell conditioner

reconditioning paper shotshell hulls
restoring paper shotgun shells
shotshell hull conditioner