1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended loads for Federal Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I recently bought and shot two cases of Federal paper hulled ammunition. I have been wanting to try these hulls for reloading for a while. I am looking for recommended load data. I generally use Cheddite primers as they are the most readily avalable around here.

Thansks,
    Jim Bradbury

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jim, what powders do you have on hand, how much shot do you want to throw, and how fast do you want to go?

Bob

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I run 21.5 grains of green dot with 12S3 Federal wads and a Fed 209 primer with 11/8 oz of #8 or # 71/2 with the Federal Paper hulls. This works out to about 1200 f/s on a standard day (59'0 F, 29.92 BP, and 50% H). It's a nice soft load -- I would think you can work that out for those Cheddite primers -- I do not know how hot these European primers are, but from my information, I do know that the Federals are near the top of the list. BTW, I got this formula from an Alliant handout when I was at some shoot.

Since I've heard Cheddite primers are the same as Rio primers, how do you seat those since they are a slightly larger diameter than our America made primers? Do you force them in with a bit more pressure? That would work, but it seems that deformation of the brass or primer could lead to problems on the line or in your reloading room....am I wrong?

If the Cheddite primers are the same diameters as our major brands, forget the above paragraph...

For no particular reason, I only use the slower burning powders in my Fed paper reloads....Cya

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I have both Green Dot and Clays on hand in my reloading area of the house. I am looking to reload 1 1/8 oz. loads. I would like to get a handicap type speed. Somewhere in the 1235 neighborhood. I have been told and it has been on this site many times that Cheddite primers are really comparable to Winchester primers. I have no problem putting them into AA,STS, and Nittro hulls. I have not reloaded near as much as most of you have as I have only been doing this for a little bit over two years now, But I have used well over 25,000 Cheddite primers. I did have one box of a 1,000 that I had about a dozen dud primers and that was when I first started using them. I have not had any issues with them since and that was about two years ago. ColtM1911A1 thanks for the information. Since I am fairly new at this I am open to all the advise I can get.

Thanks,

Jim Bradbury

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jim, you just abt stumbled into majiic-land with GD, and your Cheddite primers are just fine: they are about the same 'hot' as Win and a little less sparky than F209A.

Add a ½gn of powder to an F209A recipe and use a medium-strength primer, like Win/Ched/Fio/ ... and you can't tell any ballistic difference.

Wad is Fed12S3 (or DR or CB clone) and 22gn (± 1grain); pressures are low and velocity will run 1190/1200 with 21gn and 1250 with 23gn.

That is an absolutely 1st-class 'caps bullet.

Bob

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

I load 17.5 gr of 700X, Fed 209A primer, 12S3 wad and 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2shot for an 1150 fps load, go to 18.5 700X for 1250 fps. I have loaded that for years and never had a problem. I reload the hulls 3-4 times and pitch em. I use the exact same load in GM Plactic's

ctreay

7. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Guy's,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will pick up some wads this afternoon when I go to our gun club to shoot. and will reload some rounds tonight. You information is really appreciated.

Jim Bradbury

8. mission6222

mission6222 Member

The primers that are larger are Fiocchi, work well, but if you change to another brand, they will fall out of the shell. Only primer that I know of like that.Nice load 20.5 green dot 12s3, 11/6oz 71/2 soft, 1200ft Loyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal paper hull loads

federal paper hulls reloading data

federal paper load
federal paper or sts hulls for reloading
federal paper reloading data
federal paper shells reloading data
load data federal paper hulls
reloading federal paper hulls