1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Load for RIO Hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buster 25, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I am looking for a load for use as a 2d shot in doubles.
    Any suggestions using RIO Hull's, CHEDDITE Primer's, and PROMO Powder?
    Thanks Gents

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The first problem is the Rio case takes a larger primer and the Cheddite's will not stay in the case.

Ajax

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Standard' 209 primers fit and are not undersized for current production RIO, the Tenneessee jobbies,

Use Alliant's data (above) for Cheddite hulls and Red Dot. That is a perfect fit.

Make sure you have the right (8 or 6pt) crimp.

Bob

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too believe you are going to have problems with your primers falling out!!! But try a few and see. Other than that, the Rio's are a Cheddite hull so follow reloading on Alliants website for them. Yes you will need a 6 point pre-crimp and final crimp for proper closing of the hulls. Oh Yeh, do let us know if you can now use a standard primer in those hulls that are supposed to made in USA now, but may still be sized in Metric??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I wouldn't bother loading them. There are much better hulls available for reloading. There are some people that are rabid fans of these hulls and shells. They will likely be along shortly. In the meantime, these hulls have issues. I have personally seen loose and migrated basewads in these hulls. There were too many to just be a one time occurrance. Do a search on Rio and Kemen hulls and you'll find some recent discussions about it. I don't waste good componments on garbage hulls, especially when the hull integrity is questionable. Yes, many people have gotten away with it. I don't wish to tempt fate.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Rio hulls have been shown to have significant problems with the plastic basewad moving around in the hull. I've seen it. Pick up 25 empties and look inside! It's not s good choice to reload a hull that the internals don't stay in the same place from one firing to the next.

MK

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Thanks for the input, I plan to use them one time only, then out the door.

8. Unknown1

They have a large internal capacity; the &#8539 oz., 2¾ DE target loads contain more than 34 grains of powder. You might want to try the new DR Federal clone to see if it takes up enough room in the hull to give you decent crimps.

MK

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Not withstanding Quackers Rant these are excellent hulls for a one time reload provide you use a Mec reloader that supports the hull in the repriming step. I have reloaded many 1000's of these hulls without problems using the Noble Sport Primer.

Tom

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Buster, I agree with TBaber. Use of the Rio, Nobel sport primers in a mec. Data for a Cheddite hull or even a Federal top gun hull has worked for me. I have used 12S3 and 12S0 wads as well as the 6100 series Claybusters for import hulls (straight case/no taper). I load mine on a P/W, but I do so at my own risk. FYI, I have used Fiocchi 616 primers and they stay seated. But I wouldn't bounce them around too much or you might loose a couple primers.

John E.

11. Unknown1

Somehow, I just can't get excited about carrying around reloads that the primers could fall out of if you drop one.

Don't you get soot rings around your firing pins shooting primers that loose? I get them from using Federal primers in AA hulls and I have to clean out my action about 4 times a year to get the garbage out of the firing pin bores.

MK

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

MK, I know guys who use shells with candle wax and tape on them in their Perazzis, Krieghoffs and Ljutics, so what's a loose primer between friends?

One guy told me how much money he saved by buying Eurotrash shells and reloading the empties. We then did the math using $60 as a price after rebate for a flat of STS hulls and reloading them 10 times. When he mumbled something about his hulls not being able to be reloaded that many times, the cost difference over the long run between the two became very narrow. But some people don't look past the inital investment.

Ed

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Follow the reloading data on Federal Gold Medal Hulls but use a Rio Primer, all others tend to fall out, I tried using Cheddite and they fall out.

I use 19-20 Grains Promo or 23-24 Grains of 800-X Rio Primer Windjammer Wad 1 1/8th oz of shot.

I use this same load in Federal Top Gun Hulls.

I use Rio Primers in all my loads.

Try 38.5 Longshot 1 1/8th oz #6s Windjammer wad in Federal Gold Medal or Rio
    1585 fps @ 10,100psi less pressure than a new AA Super Hdcp.

Take em to the parking lot with this load.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

If you use Rios in a single or O/U you won't have an issue with primers falling out, in the gun. I shot a practice round with some I reloaded in my 11-87 and had to fish out the primers from the action. Best to not reload Rios.

Joe

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

We have a saying in the IT an computer fields. GIGO = Garbage In Garbage Out. If you make you shells with junk, you will have junk for shells.

Here's some food for thought. Once a base wad has moved, why would you think just loading it on a Mec is going to fix it? Once it moves, you need to toss the hull. That is, unless you want to fire shells that have questionable hull integrity.

Take a look at the pics. These were different hulls over the course of a year or so. They weren't hard to find. I had five or six target boxes full of hulls that had at least half affected. I wouldn't trust a priming operation on a mec to rebuild the integrity of the base wad. This is flimsy stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Like Tom, I have loaded barrels of these hulls. I use Rio primers exclusively. I load all my shotshells on Mec 9000's.

I use Solo 1000 for everything but Caps, and use Solo 1250 for those loads. 12SO/12S3 clones, the Windjammer I use for Caps, or any proper wad made for Reifenhauser type hulls works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are rio and cheddite hulls the same

reloading rio hulls

reloading using rios hulls

rio hull load data

rio hull reloads
rio loading data

rio reloading data

trap door reload data