1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended guns for a newbie

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KeepFlying, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeepFlying

KeepFlying TS Member

Hello group. My name is Dennis and this is my first post. About 6 weeks ago, I started shooting trap with my twin sons in Littlestown, PA. Its a fantastic lace with lots of friendly folks. We totally enjoy it and would like to move onto sporting clays. Can you recommend a decent O/U, if possible, under $1,500? I am also thinking about a Franchi Sporting I-12. They are a little cheaper than O/Us and less than a Benelli. Thanks for any help.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Look for a used, but clean Browning or Beretta. There are a few listed below for sale in your price range. The one you get depends on what fits you better so try to find someone that has one or find them in a store and see which one you like better.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Lots of very nice clean Browing guns for sale also Beretta . They will hold interest if you are thinking of selling some time down the road .

The Franchi will never be the hot seller the Browning is .

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with the other respondents. Shoot several guns first. Then look for a good USED gun. (Beretta or Browning). These guns will not depreciate much and will be reliable. I would look for one with an adjustable comb, (or you can have one installed), choke tubes and either 30" or 32" barrels. You will be set to shoot all the clay target disciplines. Good Luck. Ed

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

beretta

tony

6. KeepFlying

KeepFlying TS Member

Thanks guys for all your input. I'll forget about the semiauto Franchi or Benelli and go with an O/U Beretta or Browning. If anyone has other ideas, I want to listen and learn. Dennis.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

yeah take your time finding a good deal on a used gun...most are priced too high, but once in a while you will find GREAT deals...got a really nice Beretta 687 SP V 2 weeks ago...just be patient.

8. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

The folks here are giving good advice from shooting trap and sporting clays with 1 gun. Here are some of my thoughts from recently getting started. 1) Don't get anything except a Browning Citori or Beretta 687 or 682 over and under. Kreigoff, Perazzi's, Remington 3200, Winchester 101, Rugers, Huglu's, etc will all be either too expensive or shot to pieces or have crappy triggers.

2) Don't worry too much about back boring, ported barrels, Briley chokes or special front beads, etc. 28 or 30 inch regular barrels will work just fine along with a basic full, mod, imp and skeet choke. With these chokes you can shoot ANY shotgun game effectively.

3) If you can, have somebody who knows what they are doing check gun fit....if not, close your eyes, mount the gun then open your eyes....the one that you look down and the bead sits on top of the rib is the one that fits the best.Naturally, there is tons more to perfect gunfit, but this is a place to start

4) Pay for a couple of lessons for trap or SC....it will cost about as much as 2 flats of shells per lesson but will be worth infinitely more in the long run.

I personally shoot a Browning Citori 525, 30 inch barrels that I bought used for 1100 bucks. It fits me great and will work for anything you want to do with a shotgun .....except running over hell and yonder after Chukar! Good shooting. RICH

9. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Jersey Shooter makes a LOT of good points. I shoot a Browning Citori 525 O/U for sporting clays and trap. I also have a Beretta 391 semi-auto which I use for sporting. You don't address the ages of your sons, so if you or your sons are recoil sensitive, the Beretta may be a good option as they have barely any recoil.

Any of the guns recommended above are great choices but the best gun for you is the ONE THAT FITS. If you are able to, I recommend going to the local gun club and see if you can shoot any of these guns to see how they feel and fit.

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you have a PM-- look at the top for messages wally riebesell 660-744-4115

11. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Hey KeepFlying. I can tell you Wally is a good guy to talk to. He knows Beretta up and down and won't steer you wrong. I should have mentioned that Beretta auto's are a great alternative to an O/U. In auto's, stick with Beretta and avoid the Browning brand. If you go this route, a 28 barrel with a mod choke will hit 90 percent or more of the sporting clay presentations you will ever see and is perfect for 16 yard trap. Wally will do you right.....I got a 303 trap special from him that is a real winner. RICH

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a Browning 325 sporting with adjustable comb for sale $995.00.
    Don

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes the Brownings and Beretta's O/U's are very good guns as are Beretta's 391's and Rem's ll00's. These auto's are gas operated and will reduce the recoil of your gun. This is important in Sporting Clays more than the other 2 types of shooting as the Sporties like to shoot 1300 feet per second shells, or even faster. In Sporting Clays you are shooting not only the standard l08 mm. target shot in both trap and skeet, but a couple of other ones as well. The teal and rabbit targets have very thick edges and are tough to break. Many Sporties will tell you having seen several targets with several holes in them that did not break (even after hitting the ground). So they use large pellets at fast speeds to help break some of these tough targets. Gas guns do need to be cleaned more, and completely taken apart to clean the gas ports, so it does come with a price to pay for this decrease in recoil. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.