1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended adhesive for wooden rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jawari2000, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Need a adhesive recommendation for attaching a wooden rib to an O/U. This is a test rib that I have attached with rubber bands but need something more sturdy. Eventually the rib will come off to be replaced by a metal rib. Thanks for any information.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

2 side sticky tape!

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

What I used was black electrical tape for the temporary wood ones I made. You don't need to shoot it long to figure out where you're going with it. Squad mates did laugh at it though.

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

At my club, there are lots of guys who tinker with their ribs, stocks, etc. I shot my 100 straight with a BT-99, topped with a balsa rib secured by black electrical tape. Nobody laughed at me.

LA in MA

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

GOOP works well and can be removed if/when needed.

Don Verna

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gorilla Glue and forget it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Try RTV Silicone. I've had a balsa wood rib on one of my guns for about three years, and that is what I use. Works well, can be removed completely, and when my "rib" needs to be "reblued", I just get out the black Magic Marker and have at it. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

8. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

ive put add-on ribs to just about all guns. I used zip ties to hold the ribin place until i get the desired effect out of it. then i use black silicone to hold it. This will keep your rib rigid, but if you ever need to remove it the black silicone comes off with out any fuss. BYG

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon guys, loosen up. Your supposed to be using the wood to experiment, then you send it to Vicki and get it done right. They can't afford to advertise here if we don't support them. WOW! You guys are tighter than the bark on a tree! No wonder the economy's in the dumper. LOL, Shoot often while we can, Bob

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Glue a strip of magnetic tape to the wood. Most magnetic tapes comes with an adhesive on one side. Wayne

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

3M two sided auto trim tape holds very well, easy to use, is cheap, and is easy to clean when rib is removed. Can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Marc

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Use cyanoacrlate (super glue), and then use Acetone to remove the glue.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

RTV Silicone, Super Glue or the two sided tape used for auto trim will all work well. Magnetic tape might work if the rib is steel and some are not. Balsa wood is very soft, birch is harder and tight grained and would be a better choice for a wood rib. A 1/8 inch taper over 30 inches can easily be cut on a good table saw by fastening the rib-wood at the desired angle to another piece of wood that is straight. The straight piece goes against the fence ant the rib-wood is cut at an angle. In a few minutes it is possible to cut several test ribs at different angles and heights. It takes a long time to figure out which height and angle is best for you.

Pat Ireland

14. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Bob Hawkes has it right--We NEVER laughed at you Bob---I thought it was a great idea-----Dennis.My regards to all at MinuteMan Sportsmans Club.---Hot here in FL.

15. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Another vote for 3M double-faced tape . Works superbly .

Charlie

16. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Thanks for the suggestions - Got the RTV and double-sided tape; I might try the other suggestions if these did not work for me (rib is solid oak).

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have put plenty of ribs on with all sorts of stuff. Silicone is messy along with any other semi liquid adhesive. The best I have found so far is the 3M red backed tape you get at auto parts stores. It is easy to use and will hold. If you want to remove it, it comes off easy too.

If you try the 3M tape, make sure it is the kind that has the "RED" peel off back.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.