1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations on new gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

What do you mean by rough? I own a guerrini unsingle and love it. Though I can't say anything on durability because I have only fired 2100 shells through the gun. Points great and very quick target acquisition. Great gun for the money. Go for the guerrini.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I don't mean to be rude.. or brutal..BUT..Unless you're lonely.. and just wanted to post something here..to see who would bite.. I'd say first get a coach.. Unless you know why you are changing.. and what you hope to acheive with a change you're moving away from the winners circle.. The concept of shooting another gun does not mean buy it.. It means ask a fellow shooter to shoot a round or two of factory shells thru it..in the game you shoot.. be it trap.. or skeet.. or bunker..or sporting clays.. You'll start to understand dynamics.. barrel speed.. stock fit.. lock time.. trigger position.. weight distribution..(and what works best for you).. A good coach will go a long way to cutting down that learning curve.. You already have a GREAT gun.. It's taken ALOT of people to the top of their game.. why not you??? Along with a coach.. a good stock fitter is your best friend.. next to your hunting dog.. THEN.. it's you.. not the gun..and rarely the shells.. You can't buy the birds..BUT..you can buy the knowledge to break them..

How many pages in your notebook?? How many lessons have you had in trapshooting?? How many and who's clinics did you attend.. If the first answer was more than 1.. second..plenty.. and 3rd more than 2.. You'd already know AND you'd be answering the post the way I just have..

As always.. All Good.. Mike

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Lets see I'm driving a a Ferrari Enzo I wonder what a Ford Focus would be like? Think it would improve my track times? I wonder if it would get me more women?

Don't feed the #$%$%#%^ trolls!!!

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd stick with the gun that put you on the 27... Whatever it is.. you shoot it well.. As I approach your age.. I quit playing with so many guns.. For singles.. I shoot a Seitz for singles.. or the Titanium Cole I built.. for ATA doubles I shoot a MX10RS.. For bunker..I shoot a MX10 with no sideribs and a 3 step adjustable rib. and a Flodman.
    As we get older.. and maybe upper body strength diminishes.. I'd go to a lighter barrel.. or maybe even a shorter barrel.. That seems to be the combination that works for the people I've helped over the years.. Perazzi will make a MX10RS barrel under 1.60KG.. and if it's under 32".. Dan will strip the sideribs.. and get it even lighter..AND adjust your POI if you so wish..
    Each and every gun..and certainly different manufactures have totally different dynamics. It's very clear you have mastered the dynamics of what you already shoot.. I would not change.. or.. at best.. get a lighter barrel..
    I would think if you've shot the guns you asked about..Only the DT-10 would be in the running.. In Italy.. I see many MX/DT owners.. that shoot them both well.. The CG is a great gun.. but totally different dynamics. The Blaser I was not impressed with..

I hope this has been a little helpful..but might I ask why are you changing?? Want to spend a little time in heaven..??? shoot a Titanium Seitz..I'm sure Richie would be glad to set you up correctly..He'll rib it any way you want.. to any POI

All Good.. Mike

5. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL TS Member

Ok as a novice I need all of your help have been actually looking at a MX10RS is it to much gun for a novice like myself ??? and will it last me a long time ? Should one have fixed or removeable chokes and thank you all!!

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While at the GRAND last week.. working for Dan at Giacomo's.. We rebuilt a MX10RS that had logged over 150,000 rounds..and other than a locking bolt and forend adjustment.. it was still like new.. You can never have to good a gun.. only one that might last longer.. shoot straighter,and have a trigger that stays the same longer.. The question is.. HOW DO YOU SHOOT IT.??? Does it fit you..?? Do you feel at home with it..?? OH.. FIXED CHOKES.. not ported. All Good.. Mike

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have an old Stevens field gun. Shoot something like that for a few weeks, and go back to what you have. You old gun will feel so much better, and you will enjoy it so much you'll feel like you bought a new gun. Plus you'll still have $10-14,000 left.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Maybe consider the new TM9.. It really felt good.. and the trigger now mimics the MX style you shoot now.. If your set on a new gun.. Have you considered a MX10 top single on your MX10RS??

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you just want a new toy to shoot, I say get a used DT-10 and you can't go wrong. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

LEO.. this is my Stevens 9478 10 gauge barrel with 12 gauge chamber sleeve..36" .775 bore with .045 choke.. It won me a crisp $100 bill from a young man that was SURE my more expensive gun was the reason I won.. The indian had nothing to do with it.. As you can see.. it's a $40.00 pawnshop gun with a PFS fitted to it from another gun of mine.. I did do a trigger job however.. The cutters I used to make guns cost more than this entire gun cost.. I've since retired it to a 870 pump with a PFS and a 36" Hastings barrel.. LOL... All in good fun.. Mike

11. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Hey Bigbore,
    Who cares about the hermafolite ugly gun. Where did you get the stylin' couch?
    Talk about a chick mag. Woo Hoo. Oh, sorry, off subject. I shoot an XT combo. I'd go with that if it comes with the couch.

12. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

get an Alfermann, they dont come with parts kits for a reason, not trolling just the cold hard truth.

P.S. bigbore there is such a thing as a different type of gun other then perazzi.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I met the Alferman brothers at the GRAND.. Really nice guys.. met them over by Merlyn's.. The Alferman trigger is unique.. fast.. and something I could shoot well..but.. their shotgun is designed for the shooter who perfers a heavy gun.. That is not me.

I own about 15 different makes of shotguns in an assortment of models.(from trash to treasure) As I said earlier..there are other guns I like as far as design.. Having a crushed right arm as a child limits what I can shoot well.. Most of that is trigger related.. The fact I know Perazzi's..and how to fix them goes a long way with me.. The day will come that gunparts will be hard to get.. Despite all of this..if I were down to 1 gun.. it would be a Flodman. While I consider the DT-10 to be an excellent gun.. I've never shot one well.. The quality is certainly on par with a Perazzi..just need a barrel??? That would end its place on my list.. I like to add a barrel now and then.. I know how to change and fit them.. With a Perazzi or Krieghoff.. it's a fairly easy task.. Any shotgun with a crossbolt will be far more complicated as well as more difficult to rebuild.

The green sofa was left to me when my mother died.. It's totally overstuffed with goose down.. That's where I slept when she was dying of cancer..It's really comfortable.. Hope I've answered everyone's questions.. I'll be out of town till the 15th.. Everyone shoot well.. Mike

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Buy American!! Best Regards, Ed

15. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Why not just sell the RS barrel and buy a Perazzi top single barrel? That will be a lot cheaper than buying a new gun. You might also want to sniff around this site for threads on Guerini - lots of positive, but some serious negative. I'm biased, but at best you're going to get a gun that shoots no better than your Perazzi and will wear out a lot faster. Outcomes go down from there. Someone suggested you get lessons. Good advice. I've had an MX-2000 combo and a Guerini Combo and, in hindsight, the Perazzi was the better choice. Finally, if you just gotta have a new gun, the Etchen Beretta combos are first rate, not very sexy, but great shooters, and, big bonus, inexpensive. He still has one or two top singles.

Regards,

Russ Roberts
    LV,NV

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Russ, I'm curious as to the serious negative views or opinions on the Caesar Guerini guns!!!!! I have heard some good things about them. The only negative I know of is how long the company may stay in business, as they are very new!!! Is there something else missing we all should know about. Thanks Break-em all. Jeff

17. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Most shooters allow you to try theit gun a round or two. That's the best way, you know by gun fit and feel of it. Most time all said above you should shoot in the 20's easy. I recommend when try one use new factory ammo.
    Good Luck
    RR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.