1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for biting dog

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by magnumshot, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My brother has an obnoxious Austrailian shepherd. It has been a biter since a pup, and even a vet thought the dog would never be a nice dog. It's about three years old now. It's bit them, me, my wife, and my daughter got bit last night. It's bitten his friends and their children. He and his wife are in denial about it, thinking they can somehow cure him. The dog is somewhat intelligent. He's really hyper and unpredictable though. What do I do about this? I won't allow my kids to visit because of this dog. He is away on vacation, and my parents have the dog at their home. I didn't know this. My kid gets bit going to visit her grandparents. Just great.
    Please keep your kill the dog comments to yourself. I would like a serious common sense answer.

2. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Take the dog for a nice long drive and let him escape- accidentally of course.

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I have a border collie that has the same problem. He now bites when I ask him to, due to a lot of training. Hyper dogs need a lot of attention It all has to do with the owner, get some classes for the owner. It is not the dogs fault. Do some internet research for him. If this doesn't work remind him that the insurance company will drop him if the dog is not controllable not to mention you will have to stop letting your kids visit.

A visiting person may well file suit with just cause. The insurance may or may not cover the damage if he knows the dog bites and does nothing. They will for sure drop him and he may not be able to get a new policy due to the negligence.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's pretty serious. Aside from the guy on TV(dog whisperer) which I think is a crock, you need to modify the dog's behavior.

Dogs are not that hard to train. The invisible fence thing proves that.

Negative reinforcement should do it.

Tase the little shit every time he bites. (actually a shock collar would be the first method)

He will learn. If that don't do it send him to the shelter.

HM

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

A spray bottle of diluted ammonia? Even the most obtuse of dogs should be able to associate its behavior with being sprayed.

When I was young there was a golden retriever who chased us on our bicycles; he bit me once, and we were all very much afraid of him. One day my brother took a branch of those round burrs and shoved it in the dog's face and he didn't bother us much after that. An early lesson about bearing arms!

LA

6. Desert Breeze

Desert Breeze TS Member

Try THE DOG WHISPERER on national geographic channel. Good answers always.

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I'll take the dog and have him broke in 3 weeks. Before doing the stupid stuff PM me. If people were as good friends as dogs the world might be a better place.

Cats now that's a different story.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Muzzel the critter.

9. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I know a guy who had the same problem. He got a shock collar and turned the thing all the way up. First time the dog went to bite and he hit that button the dog rolled up in a ball and pissed on himself. He laid on the button too - not just a quick zap. Dog got up and he hit it again. Took 4 days for the dog to figure it out, but it eventually stopped.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dogs need training. Obviously, this dog hasn't been trained properly.

Hate to say it, but it is your brother's fault the dog has bit so many of you.

Hope they get something done before someone gets bit in the face and scarred for life. Both mentally and physically.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

magnumshot you said " I would like a serious common sense answer." I will give you one. You won't like it but hear it is. Tell your brother that if his dog bites another member of your family. You will have him charged with Keeping a Vicious Dog and you will slap him with a law suit. Tell him you will slap him with a suit every time he bites a member of your family after that.

You might also put in a claim for medical bills against his homeowners insurance every time his dog bites a member of your family. If you feel that you can't do this because he is your brother then you are in denial.

BTW if a dog bites the people who feed it there is no cure for that animal and never will be. The only common sense answer for this animal is a permanent sleeping pill.

Bob Lawless

PS Little Dog a perfectly brainy suggestion dump the problem where he can bite unsuspecting people. Absolutely brilliant

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Go with the shock collar and if that doesn't work within a few days go to put it down option. A biter isn't a risk that a family can take. If they live near a ranching operation they may be able to give the dog to them, but generally those people like to raise them from pups.

13. white rattler

white rattler Member

Shoot the SOB. Any dog that bites. Should be put down. Trevor Dawe.

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I totally agree with several of the people on here.

You want common sense?

Common sense says you have a serious problem here and the solution is to put the dog to sleep.

I'm a plastic surgeon and see dog bites all the time. As bad as they can be, as bad as the possibility of a lawsuit, etc. is, dogs can also kill people.

You want to keep exposing your kids to that risk?

Hellooooo, common sense?

15. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

The dog and the owner need training. you say the dog bites does he break the skin or is it just a nibble? Anyway they need training. take the dog and owner to a professional for the help they need. good luck nobody likes to put a friend down. It doesn't matter two or four legged. Fran

16. zinger

zinger Member

The dog was bred to herd cattle! It's job is to bite cattle! These dogs are highly intelligent and are usually "one man dogs", not family house dogs. I had two Aussie's that were beaten before I got them and were very timid. Whenever cornered, they would bite but had to be provoked, not like your brother's dog who has been somehow reinforced that biting is okay. If your brother and his wife aren't responsible enough to own a dog that requires the training and room to run that Aussie's require, then they should be held responsible financially for the dog's actions. Give the dog to someone who KNOWS how to own/train an Austrailian Shepherd...it's not the dog's fault.

17. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

1 1/4 Oz. of #2 lead will cure most biteing dogs!!!!!!!!From one who has been bitten.............Roger

18. jimx200

jimx200 Member

The dog is FIXABLE...son't put it down. Spend a little time and money and have the dog trained. Herder dogs start young by "nipping" at the heels of livestock and it appears the owner has ignored the genetic traits and now the dog bites. I have a border collie who started nipping and with correction, she no longer does it. In my opinion, this dog is totally salvageable...contact someone involved in the Australian dog world and they will help you.
    These dogs are highly intelligent and WANT to work...give this dog a chance to work and if he does not want to spend a little effort to correct the problem, post some ads on agriculture or working dog websites, explain the problem, and hopefully the dog will find a more suitable home on a ranch. My sister took in a similar problem Aussie and he blended in quickly with their 3 other dogs and never again showed aggressive behavior. It's funny to watch the Aussie "herd" the others on a walk...it's all in their gene pool. Dog deserves a chance in my book.

19. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

Are you talking about a nip or a full fledged bite? Big difference as far as I'm concerned. A nip is easy to correct and a biter should be immediately taken to s trainer with knowledge of the breed. If the dog still continues to bite, then IMHO it should be put down before it gets much worse.

Many puppies nip and are mouthy. That's where training is important. There are far too many people that have no clue on basic training for a puppy or dog. In most cases the animals actions are the owners fault. The dog has to know who is boss!

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned a muzzle. It's foolproof. Other than that someone who is always arround the dog must assert them selves as the alpha.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.