1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a top loading washing machine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My Kenmore heavy duty 70 washing machine that I purchased in 1976 is severely leaking water from the bottom of the machine. Due to medical problems I can not take a look underneath the machine. My wife wants a new top loading washing machine, but it's only 34 years old. Any recommendations on what brand to purchase? My wife said if one of my guns broke down, I'd already have a new one to replace it, boy that hurts me, (Not really)
    Steve Balistreri

2. GD

GD TS Member

I repair them for a living. If I am spending my money, it would be for a Whirlpool top load.

3. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Whirlpool!

Regards, Pete

4. senior smoke

GD:
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

We just bought a Sears Kenmore high efficiency top load washer. If I remember correctly its made by Whirlpool. Any which way we realy like it.

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Steve,

We just bought a Kenmore H.E. washer. Runs quite as can be. Uses very little water and when the clothes come out they are very dry so it saves electric on the drying end as well. Very happy so far.

Dennis

7. target 1

target 1 Member

MAYTAG (THEY DO A BETTER JOB ON HULLS)
    [​IMG]

8. porky

porky TS Member

I can't believe that anyone would recommend a Whirlpool. I have one and had to have the rusting tub replaced within the first month after I got it home. Then the bearing on the tub went. I have no lint catcher, so any lint in the water ends up on all the clothes. Whirlpool sucks. I can't wait for it to fail and then I'm getting a front end loader because it uses less than half the water of a top loader.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

ha ha ... there is one in every crowd! Quit washing your rock collection it it!

Our Whirlpool is 3 years old and is quiet and cleans well.

10. likes-to-shoot

We just bought a Sears Kenmore high efficiency top load washer. If I remember correctly its made by Whirlpool. Any which way we realy like it.

11. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Steve,

We just bought a Kenmore H.E. washer. Runs quite as can be. Uses very little water and when the clothes come out they are very dry so it saves electric on the drying end as well. Very happy so far.

Dennis

12. target 1

target 1 Member

MAYTAG (THEY DO A BETTER JOB ON HULLS)
    [​IMG]

13. porky

porky TS Member

I can't believe that anyone would recommend a Whirlpool. I have one and had to have the rusting tub replaced within the first month after I got it home. Then the bearing on the tub went. I have no lint catcher, so any lint in the water ends up on all the clothes. Whirlpool sucks. I can't wait for it to fail and then I'm getting a front end loader because it uses less than half the water of a top loader.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

ha ha ... there is one in every crowd! Quit washing your rock collection it it!

Our Whirlpool is 3 years old and is quiet and cleans well.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whirlpool top load. Kenmore has some whirlpool and some other (maybe GE?) brand also. It would behoove you to know which it is.

The motor finally gave out on my Whilpool last month, after being pounded daily for a long time, at least 10 years. 6/7 people in the house during that time.

There is a nylon/rubber coupling similar to a Lovejoy that gives out (changed it twice), and I had to bypass the lid switch last year. I have had others and they were all garbage and hard to work on.

The above URL is invaluable in understanding this machine, and it is the very simplest of all to work on in the unlikely event of trouble.

HM

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Woolpool/Sears nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

17. likes-to-shoot

GIR-ER-DONE.......The top load HE washer is more efficient than the front load but both need a cleaning cycle once a month.

I have yet to see any brand (of any product) not have a dud or two in the mix of their production run.

18. senior smoke

All of you have been very helpful. I spent 4 hours after work going to different stores, asking questions. Found out that Whirlpool bought out Maytag, but Maytag has some professional grade parts in their machines. We are debating top loading machine with an agitator, or the new type of machine without the agitator. Found out from Kelly Rippa that on the new machines, once you start the wash process you can't open the machine up to add another piece of clothing, as the water will spill out.
    Steve

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My Maytag top-loader is the best I have ever owned but the matching dryer was terrible. It had several "heat settings" but "delicate" was 137 degrees and "cotton" was 141 degrees, that is, they were all the same and it shrank everything to XS after a few passes through.

The "repairman" came out. I put the thermometer in the exhaust line, and showed him that the temperature control didn't work. He explained that water has to be 135 degrees before it will evaporate. I asked him how clothes lines work then.

He responded that if I lost some weight I wouldn't worry about a little shrinkage and sent me a bill since "customer education" was not covered by the warranty.

No, I didn't pay the bill, other than having a two-month old washer hauled away like the junk it was.

I replaced it with a Kenmore and it works great.

Neil

20. likes-to-shoot

Steve, that would be true on a front load but they do have top load HE machines. We just bought a HE top load Kenmore that has a "add garment" button to allow you the add clothes after the start of the cycle.

Either way good luck on your search for a machine.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.