1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a good Gun Bag?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murman, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murman

Murman Member

I've got a hard case for my gun, but grow tired of reassembling and unassembling everytime I shoot. I need some recommendations on a good bag that I can put my gun into and take back and forth from my home to the club that offers good protection and doesn't necessarily cost a fortune???
    OR
    Give me feedback on why it is a good idea to keep using my current setup of reassembling and unassesembling (and lubing, etc.)...

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Reguardless of what type of case you use, You should always clean the old grease off of the gun after every use. Those that don't are just inviting trouble on down the road as grease/oil attracts dirt.

A general wipedown is only going to take about 10 minutes. Relubing prior to use is going to maybe take 5 minutes. I don't understand what the problem is.

To each their own, but I like my guns to last longer than I will!

ss

3. hschwartz

hschwartz TS Member

Murman:

I shoot sporting clays most of the time, and I take my gun to the range with my Perazzi hard case. After shooting, I wipe it down with a oily cloth, I keep in the case and then put the gun in one of my Briley soft cases to transport home. I do this only for day shoots. If I am going to be away for more than one day, I will disassemble the gun, wipe it down and put it back into the Perazzi hard case.

Regards,

hschwartz

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I can't get passed the protection of a good hard case. Too much chance of a car accident or even an emergency stop.

5. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

No body has answered the mans question he asked for the name of a good SOFT case not what we like.

6. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

7. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Bakergun, I was just reading and thinking the same thing.

I have a Boyt sleeve and a Boyt case. I also have a Boyt knockoff sold by Cabela that works well.

they are all good construction, thick padding and protect in transit...

ernie

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

bakergun&smith47,

You may want to reread the original post. Murman states he's tired of taking the gun apart, reassembling, and lubing it. He just wants to shove his whatever in a case and forget about it.

In other words he doesn't want to have to clean his gun after everytime he uses it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's how I take the thread.

I mearly suggested that whatever path he takes, it shouldn't preclude the necessity of keeping the gun clean and fresh grease applied to where it needs.

I'd say any case would do if this is all the better he's going to take care of his gun.

ss

9. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

SS

Maybe i misunderstood the question ? internet is lacking in that dept ?? i did not read cleaning & lube into the question ? i thought he meant he did not want to break down the gun for transport to the club and same for return trip ? A good quality soft case works well for travel but i still clean and lube after every trip ...

regards,
    ernie

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

"I've got a hard case for my gun, but grow tired of reassembling and unassembling everytime I shoot."

Does this make it easier?

ss

11. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

No, but this does:

"I need some recommendations on a good bag that I can put my gun into and take back and forth from my home to the club that offers good protection and doesn't necessarily cost a fortune???"

That, along with the title of the post, makes it a no-brainer:

"Recommendations for a good Gun Bag?"

Clearly he is asking for recommendations on a bag. For whatever reason you have an issue with his gun care, which is fine. Do you have a bag recommendation now that he is doing a better job cleaning?

Mike

12. esetter

esetter Active Member

Just a plug here for Orvis cases. I owned one for 15 years and finally the zipper came apart. The case was still in excellent shape so I sent it back to them and told them I wanted to pay them to put a new zipper in the gun. Two weeks later I received a brand new case from them. Now that is service! Their cases have the best, softest, lining I have seen and they are quality top to bottom. I highly recommend them.

13. Murman

Murman Member

Just to clear the air. I do clean my gun after using (dad taught me that way back when). I would just prefer to clean (and lube) my gun at home vs the tailgate of my Yukon. As I do more research I may actually need a bag that is in excess of the standard 52" bag. I shoot a BT99 with a 34" barrel and have recently added a RAD with adjustable LOP and Kick Eze pad, I haven't measured but I'm guessing I'm north of 52" now... Gun hygiene aside what do you guys think especially with the idea that I may have a longer than normal gun?

Thanks,
    Eric

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I sell Orvis and our Battenkill cases are excellent. But if those are out of your budget ($150), consider the Boyt/Bob Allen "hunter" case (BA4400). This was originally a Boyt product carried over to the Bob Allen line and they changed the brass zippering with one of colored, self-healing nylon and it now comes with a one-year Bob Allen warranty in lieu of a lifetime Boyt warranty.

$47 retail, but offers a great canvas cover with typical plush flannel lining, "TOP" zipper - personally would never buy a case with a bottom zipper - a pair of heavy duty canvas handles and leather tip... a great value!

I'm sure you can locate one at less than retail and they come in a 52" length. If you own a gun with an longer overall length in excess of 52", Boyt makes their Alaskan case out to 54" for $108, BUT it has a "bottom" zipper - FYI...

I actually own a couple of the older Boyt cases and can attest to their quality.

regards all,

Jay

montanamark thanked this.
  15. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Ace Case Manufacturing, LLC.

www.acecase.com

I own 4 of them. Made in the USA

Lyle

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hey ... I have tried them all from 50 bucks to 350 bucks and the best one is the Boyt Gun SLIP. The ones with a zipper are trouble and you WILL scratch your gun with the zipper sooner or later. Many of the others are so thin you might as well wrap them in an old sock.

Check these out....no zipper/metal/etc...just slide 'er in and away you go.

http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_43&products_id=148

Just my two cents.

17. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Any soft case with some padding will do, unless you there is a chance of hard stuff falling on it in your vehicle. A gun sleeve that has no padding would be risky for getting pressure dents.

I have a case that has a rubber like covering at the muzzle and in the mid section that I really like. I think it is made by Kolpin. Check out the link above, Cabelas as something similar. Cabelas may even pay Kolpin to make it and put the Cabelas name on it.

Jason

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have hard and soft cases. I have not used a hard case in so long I don't even know where they are stored right off the top of my head. I have a Bob Allen soft case with an extra barrel sleeve and extra thick padding I have had for years ( 1986 ) and it is great. I also have some Boyt soft cases for rifles and one assault case. The Boyt is absolutely superior in ever way but I am not sure if they make a case for a shotgun ?? I like 54" cases. I too gave up on tearing down the gun at the range. I clean it when I get home but for me the soft case is the way to go and Boyt would be 1st choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.