1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for 1st .22

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Granddaughter is now 6 and looking to get her into shooting. Looking for a .22 that is not just a starter gun, but something she can keep for a long time. Auto, bolt or one of the AR conversions?

Thanks.

2. jm9x23

jm9x23 Member

Ruger 10-22's can't be beat.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi BDTex...if you do go with a 10-22 which is a great choice btw,..I have a new stock of birch complete with the barrel band that I'll sell you very reasonable so you can hack one off for her while shes a tyke and keep a full size for when shes grown..also have one for a late model Marlin Mod 60 of laminated birch if you go with one of those thats also a great choice

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I would suggest a quality single shot bolt. It will provide a method of making the shot count, intead of spray and pray.

After all this going to be her first 22?

Shooting a rifle means good muscle, breath and trigger control and a single shot might be the best way to learn that.

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

Bigdog, when I was a kid,long ago, I got a Remington 550 semi auto. It shot shorts, longs, and long rifles. Still have it and it was really cheap to shoot growing up. $5.00 for a brick of shorts. Mike

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

S & W M&P15-22

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image

They even make them in pink camo!

SW

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Either of the Rugers.

77/22 if your into teaching them patience,

10/22 if your into burning up ammo fast.

Marlin levers actions are not to bad either.

8. psfive

psfive Member

Ruger 10-22, and teach her muscle control and making each shot count. Paul in GINebraska.

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I guess i am overly careful... depending on the maturity level of your grandchild. I would suggest a single shot bolt action..Easy to teach gun safety and when she hits the target and she jumps up in joy... you know it cant shoot again till reloaded. Then start later on into the semi auto rifle.

I still have my single shot dad gave me.. around that age... and my daughter learn to shoot it also when she started.

The one you buy her now will be the first of many i am sure...
    I just love to watch a childs face light up when they hit their first target with each gun they get thru life.

There is my 2 cents worth..

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

10-22 was my first and a Marlin GOlden 39a was my second. Both are great guns that will last a lifetime. John

11. blaster

blaster Member

12. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I will second the Remington 550. Myself I like Walnut and bluing. I grew up with a Winchester model 74,63,and a 61 and still have them. In bolt actions a nice Winchester model 69 or 72 are very nice. In Remington bolt actions any of the 500 series and 500X series are very good.

But a Remington model 66AP the black and chrome model could be the winner.

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Wesley B ---- SAFETY FIRST. Bill

14. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

My wife gave me a Savage Mark II BSEV a couple of years ago (after a VERY SPECIFIC suggestion for a suitable birthday present). I was REALLY IMPRESSED! It's a tack driver. In the hands of a better shooter than me, I'm sure it's capable of punching single-hole groups. In my clumsy hands, 50 yard 5-shot groups that can be covered with a dime are no sweat.

So I'll throw in a vote for a Savage Rascal. It has the same Accutrigger as the other quality Savages (including mine). It also comes in PINK, which should appeal to a 6 year-old girl.
    jh
    johnhefley_2012_01031.jpg

15. JH

JH Well-Known Member

She is six years old....a single shot....there are many size appropriate single shot .22s for her....

The 10/22 is a wonderful .22, but it is not as manageable as a dedicated youth single shot .22....it is the prudent, reasonable choice!

Buy the 10/22 for yourself...but, good luck finding magazines for it!

16. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

How about older Browning T Bolt.

The old stocks are not worth anything, cut it to fit for right now, your not going to ruin anything because the old saltwood stocks are worthless, except in your case its perfect.

Buy a new stock now so you can take your time finishing it, while she uses old stock. Then later put your new beautiful stock on the gun for her when she is bigger and she will have a gun for the rest of her life.

I bought a 1970 T-2 from a fellow 6 or 7 years ago and it is a tack driver that is easy to shoot.

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now off to the LGS to see if they have anything that I can actually put my hands on. The idea of the bolt action and jumping for joy, makes a lot of sense. May have to get an auto for her to grow into.......;)

18. pfofml

pfofml Member

Aside from the skill of gun safety, the skill of shooting must be taught. A single shot can help in learning to make each shot count. While my dad started me on 22 auto, he also withheld the magazine tube, thus rendering my auto to a single shot. I learned to make every shot count early on.
    Peter

19. drgondog

drgondog Member

I started with Remington 514 at 7. The 10/22 is what I gave my sons, daughters, grandson and granddaughter for their first. I had zero problem teaching make the first one count by simply loading one early on.

I cut both stocks down, am re-gluing my grand daughter's lopped off piece now - already fixed grandson several yers ago.

Whatever you buy, make the stock Fit. Stay with open sights until they can really shoot.

Al of them have kept their 22's

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

10/22. Best way to teach trigger control is repetition. The size and weight of the 10/22 are well suited to the younger shooters and the gun is infinately customizable. As far as jumping around and waving the gun about - you really need to closely supervise and control the situation regardless of the firearm used, it is the one round in the barrel that is of concern. You also don't need to fill the magazine up for a practice session. No reason you can't load one round at a time when you begin.

Kids are very quick studies and if you spend the time on the training they will learn. Girls are especially easy to train on firearm handling and tend to take the lessons more seriously than young boys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.