1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation on Trap Shotgun Fitter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ludmilla, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

I am purchasing a new trap shotgun and will need to have it fit to me. I live in New Mexico. Do any of you have a recommendation for a shotgun fitter that knows trap and does a great job?

Nancy

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Dennis devault is one of the best stock makers/fitters in the business. He is located in north east ohio however. BYG

3. doublebird

doublebird Member

Dennis DeVault is the best around. Absolutely worth every penny. He is patient, knowledgable, polite, and will not sell you anything you dont need. Hands down the only guy i will let fit my guns. He did a fantastic job on my 1100 and on my fiance's 391pt.

4. setool

setool Member

Don't waste time... Dennis Devault is simply "THE BEST" !!!

Mark Schneider

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"Fitted" is not as tough as building new wood. I assume you have an adjustable comb?

Ask at your club who others have used. Phil would be good, but there is bound to be someone closer. With the winter shoots starting out West, a lot of capable people will be close.

You may have to add a spacer or new pad, or cut your butt. Other than that you don't really need a "Stock guy". You need a splatter board and a trap machine to do it right.

Either way, your "fit" will only be as good as your consistancy.

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

If you are going to take this sport serious then a trip to Dennis Devualt will save you time,money and fustration in the long run. My wife is perfect example of this. We have tried several different guns and traveling fitters. Spent a large amount of time and money and still she got hit in the face. We finally decided to go to Dennis. He and his crew spent the better part of five hours getting her fit. Then to the range, back to the shop, back to the range.. She now shoots without getting bumped in the face. All the folks we prevoiusly tried are good at what they do but Dennis and his crew are masters at what they do. The cost may seem high but over the long run you will be much happier. Just our opioins, Jake and Sarah.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, Dennis is a great choice; but since you're talking new gun and travel, I suggest Kolar at Racine, WI. Order the gun and set up a fitting with Jeff Mainland, who many of us argue is second to none. Fly to Milwaukee, and your gun is back in your hands in about 6 weeks. Remember all you have in it is the cost of the fitting, since the wood and finish are already paid for when you bought the new gun.... unless you chose to go with wood upgrades....grin

best...mike

mikepoore_2008_27082.jpg

8. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

I have purchased a Blaser Super Trap Combo and want to make sure the gun is not messed up :) It has an adjustable comb. Being a gal, the angle of the pad against the shoulder has to be adjusted and the comb needs to be adjusted so I do not hit my cheek so hard. Right now, I have a big bruise on my cheek. I also want to get the barrels ported - who is best to do that work?

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: get the barrels ported

Pass on that....

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Another approach would be to buy the gun without a stock and install a Precision Fit fully adjustable stock. Work with the adjustments until you get a fit that works for you then get a stock made to those dimensions. I know this sounds like a convoluted process but I think stock fitting is difficult because of the many variables and shooters style and desires.SMOKIT

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ludmilla Sarah Jacobs has the evidence of a poor fitting gun. She was always getting bruised until she went to Dennis. He will make your gun fit you with less recoil & way more comfort.

Phil Berkowitz

12. Hooked

Hooked Member

Having just gone through a fitting session with Dennis, I can genuinely say that the service and expertise that he offers is second to none. He is currently in the process of building a stock for me.

The stock fitting session is $400, but for that price, he spends an unbelievable amount of time with you and unlike most that offer a stock fitting service, you actually go and shoot a few rounds of trap so that he can see the dynamics of the fit, and you can feel if everything is working right. Shooting at a patterning board does not always tell you the whole story when it comes to gun fit.

All that being said, once you factor in travel costs, going to see Dennis is an expensive and time consuming proposition. Dennis is taking his show on the road (in a somewhat simplified format I believe), so he might be coming to a club near you. If that's the case, then that might be your best bet.

One of the other suggestions that has been posted in this thread is to go with a Precision Fit Stock. That in and of itself is only part of a potential solution. With the range of adjustability that the PFS has, you may still need someone who understands gun fitting to help set the stock up so that it fits and works for you. I had and shot with a PFS for two years. My problem with that stock, right out of the box, was that there was not enough downpitch in it and I was getting beat up pretty badly. Since the PFS was supposed to make shooting more comfortable, I was very dissapointed until I installed a downpitch spacer.

Which leads me to my suggestion. Please take this with a grain of salt since I don't know you or have seen you shoot, but a common cause for cheek slap is not enough down pitch in the stock. A quick and easy solution (that is entirely reversible) is to install a downpitch spacer between your recoil pad and the stock. This may not be the ultimate solution to your gun fit problem, but it might be away to get the gun to stop beating you up so that you can at least keep shooting and working on the rest of the gun fit. I think you can order downptich spacers from Brownells for a few dollars each.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Good luck.

Brian

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another vote for Dennis. I think he's the best of the best.

Jb

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have 3 recommendations for you....Devault, Devault and Devault. They are all in Canton OH ironically.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Nancy, Sent you a PM, Sarah Jacobs

16. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

I called Devault's shop and he is on the raod right now. He will spend the winter somewhere down south. I have a mesage for him to call me to see if he will be coming anywhere near (New Mexico) or maybe to Texas or Arizona. I hope I can hook up with him.

Until I can do that, I will try and get the new gund fit the best I can.

What do you all think about porting? Does that decrease muzzle rise and therefore make it easier on the face? I saw one person that said not to do it.

Thanks.

Nancy

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Re porting: Don't.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It does not do enough to make a difference. All porting does is create more problems, with noise, plastic particles blowing in your eyes, even around glasses, hot material hitting you and the people next to you, just to name a few. Not worth the money, in my opinion. Jon

19. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

OK - got it - no porting!!

I called Dennis and he is going to have to have a knee replacement next month and will be out of commission for about 6 weeks he thinks. Very nice fellow!

I have used Jim Botsford in Denver in the past. Anyone know if he is good with trap shotguns?

Nancy

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you want to get your gun ported, I have had great results with Angle Porting. Properly done porting will reduce muzzle flip, keeping the stock out of your face.

Some folks don't like porting, although they may have never shot a properly ported gun. I prefer a ported tournament shotgun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun fitter in northest pa

shotgun stock fitters in central california

stock fitters in central california

trap shotgun stock fitting