Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

recommendation LOW temp grease

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  MAL-53 
#1 ·
I use the CMD I got from Kolar, but when temps get low, it gets thick and is difficult to apply. For you cold-weather guys, what works in northern climates as the temp heads south... easy flowing, but staying power once the gun heats up...

regards to all,

Jay

#3 ·
Most of the high dollar trap guns in Anchorage are lubed with Tri-flo oil year round. My Perazzi still looks brand new after 3 years and +/- 65,000 shells, so it must be lubing something....

You can usually find it at bicycle shops. I've also ordered it from Gamaliel in the past...

#4 ·
I use and sell an alternative to STOS. It's called Aero. I stumbled upon it years ago when I had a big time drag racer. I used to use Lubriplate's Lithium, but it was too stringy, and I didn't like how thick it was especially when reassembling roller cams and rollers.

It costs the same as STOS, but is a finer grain (for lack of the right word) grease that I use on my Perazzi hinge surface and on all the P/W reloaders I rebuild. It looks like Crisco white, but turns to an oil-like substance in higher temps.

Whiz

#5 ·
You might give Kendal High-Temp Bearing Grease some thought. You can get a 1# tub of it at the NAPA for cheap. It's the same translucent blue grease that Briley puts in their one ounce tubs for $10. I've used it for everything from landing gear to K-80's, in all the NE temps. Good stuff.

Kip

#6 ·
Super Lube is 100% synthetic. It is a colorless grease than remains unchanged regardless of temp (I have used it at over 100, and well below freezing - no change).

Another is Tetra Lube, again synthetic, but white this time - a bit thinner than the Super Lube, but holds up really well. I use this on the hinges, etc. and like it best for this.
I tend to put it on, and wipe it all off (even between cleanings) and then just re-apply.

David D

#8 ·
Jay- In general, synthetic lubricants retain their properties at temperature extremes better than petroleum lubricants. The lubricant you are using will work well at temperatures down to -40 F, it is just hard to squeeze out of the tube. It is a thicker lubricant with a high degree of adhesion. This is good when it is hot but harder to work with at low temperatures.

Pat Ireland

#11 ·
I`ve been using STOS lube for almost 20yrs. just paint it on the hinge pins and extractors with a Q tip. the container or jar is easy to use (no squeezing nothing) if the cap gets loose it won`t leak out and run all over like oils will in your shootin bag. tried Superlube thought it was too thin. Does`nt get much easier.
I shoot at 0 deg. or 100deg. in the norheast, no problems. Its clear color doesn`t stain clothes. You can get this lube at Gamaliels or Shooting Specialties
Its put out by Ponsness/Warren they dont build or sell junk. MHO ML

#15 ·
I'm a long time STOS fan at any temp. I will shoot. I once asked the boys at P&P before they split about whether the Krieghoff grease was better than STOS and the answer from both in unison was that it made not one whit of difference with either.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

#17 ·
Thats right Pat any clean grease, thats why I like STOS lube, its transparent
you can see right away if theres any flecks of dirt(from the truck cap or trunk lid).some of the new greases are dark red, blue or black its harder to see if theres something in there thats not supposed to be there until its too late.now youve might have a expensive repair bill, plus not being able to use the gun for a while could ruin a good days shooting ML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.