1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recommendation LOW temp grease

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use the CMD I got from Kolar, but when temps get low, it gets thick and is difficult to apply. For you cold-weather guys, what works in northern climates as the temp heads south... easy flowing, but staying power once the gun heats up...

regards to all,

Jay

2. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

As a cold weather Kolar shooter in the Northeast, I use nothing but the grease from Krieghoff. Stuff works great in cold temps.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Most of the high dollar trap guns in Anchorage are lubed with Tri-flo oil year round. My Perazzi still looks brand new after 3 years and +/- 65,000 shells, so it must be lubing something....

You can usually find it at bicycle shops. I've also ordered it from Gamaliel in the past...

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use and sell an alternative to STOS. It's called Aero. I stumbled upon it years ago when I had a big time drag racer. I used to use Lubriplate's Lithium, but it was too stringy, and I didn't like how thick it was especially when reassembling roller cams and rollers.

It costs the same as STOS, but is a finer grain (for lack of the right word) grease that I use on my Perazzi hinge surface and on all the P/W reloaders I rebuild. It looks like Crisco white, but turns to an oil-like substance in higher temps.

Whiz

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You might give Kendal High-Temp Bearing Grease some thought. You can get a 1# tub of it at the NAPA for cheap. It's the same translucent blue grease that Briley puts in their one ounce tubs for $10. I've used it for everything from landing gear to K-80's, in all the NE temps. Good stuff.

Kip

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Super Lube is 100% synthetic. It is a colorless grease than remains unchanged regardless of temp (I have used it at over 100, and well below freezing - no change).

Another is Tetra Lube, again synthetic, but white this time - a bit thinner than the Super Lube, but holds up really well. I use this on the hinges, etc. and like it best for this.
    I tend to put it on, and wipe it all off (even between cleanings) and then just re-apply.

David D

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I use Montana Extreme rated for -50F to 600F.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jay- In general, synthetic lubricants retain their properties at temperature extremes better than petroleum lubricants. The lubricant you are using will work well at temperatures down to -40 F, it is just hard to squeeze out of the tube. It is a thicker lubricant with a high degree of adhesion. This is good when it is hot but harder to work with at low temperatures.

Pat Ireland

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This may be a novel idea, but I service and lube my firearm at home before I shoot. The lube is always easy to use, and my goodies and tools are nearby.

My drill, brushes, air compressor, stock wax, etc., are at hand, LOL

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Pro-Shot Pro-Gold works well in high and low temps.

Jim Skeel

11. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I`ve been using STOS lube for almost 20yrs. just paint it on the hinge pins and extractors with a Q tip. the container or jar is easy to use (no squeezing nothing) if the cap gets loose it won`t leak out and run all over like oils will in your shootin bag. tried Superlube thought it was too thin. Does`nt get much easier.
    I shoot at 0 deg. or 100deg. in the norheast, no problems. Its clear color doesn`t stain clothes. You can get this lube at Gamaliels or Shooting Specialties
    Its put out by Ponsness/Warren they dont build or sell junk. MHO ML

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Krieghoff Gun Glide works well and is kinda a standard. Seems to be slightly heavier than STOS and those two seem equal in staying power.

A skeet shooter once suggested K-Y water based grease. I thought that was a bit odd. Maybe it works well in skeet guns.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Guys...

Thanks for all the advice!

regards to all,

Jay

14. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

most any grease will do as shotguns are not critical when compared to things that really need lubrication.

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm a long time STOS fan at any temp. I will shoot. I once asked the boys at P&P before they split about whether the Krieghoff grease was better than STOS and the answer from both in unison was that it made not one whit of difference with either.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

fearlessfain- If I could add but just one word to your post, you and I would be in agreement. "Most any CLEAN grease.....".

If you and I had to make own grinding compound and all we had available was grease and dirt, we would be in good shape.

Pat Ireland

17. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Thats right Pat any clean grease, thats why I like STOS lube, its transparent
    you can see right away if theres any flecks of dirt(from the truck cap or trunk lid).some of the new greases are dark red, blue or black its harder to see if theres something in there thats not supposed to be there until its too late.now youve might have a expensive repair bill, plus not being able to use the gun for a while could ruin a good days shooting ML.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.