1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for a carry gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I tried to carry my Sig Mosquito yesterday and it was just to large.What would you recommend to keep in my coat pocket or similar concealment?Thanks,Dennis.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

At the minimum, a Ruger LCP with cor-bon ammo. Way smaller than your skeeter and way more powerful. The LCR would be even better with plus Ps. Now, lets wait for all the people who want you to carry a full house 1911 to weigh in.
    We had a part time cop come in complaining about his "backup" Mosquito not feeding reliably. Why would you want a 22 as a carry gun unless your goal is to irritate someone into stopping whatever it is they're doing. That LCR weighs almost nothing, handles the great 125 grain plus p and has a darn good trigger right out of the box.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

For a pocket gun, S&W 642 Airweight. I prefer a M&P Compact 9mm or a Glock 19. Rides all day under my shirt in a Comp-Tac MTAC holster. Holster is for the Glock and M&P fits fine.

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Just a personal thought, you have to dress for your concealment, not the other way around. I have been told by many trainers that, if you want to carry, it's not just an after thought. You must dress for it. Weather with an IWB (in waist band) or OWB (on waist band ) holster. Most people will tell you to get a Kel Tec P-3AT, those are fine, if you feel comfortable with something like that. I prefer a larger sidearm. My carry is either an XD9sc with 14 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124g +p or XDm 9mm,20 rounds of the same ammo. Depending on what time of year it is. One thing to remember about pocket carry, make sure it's in a pocket holster to cover the trigger.

JMHO.... Good Luck with your choice.

Jerbear

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Kel-tek P-9 or P-11 they are both 9mm and as small as a .380 and if you look hard enough you might find a 40 S&W conversion for the P-11. I usually have one or the other in my pocket.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As I was told dress to the gun. What ever you get make sure its DA. I like and carry a Sig 230. Its a 380. They now make a diff model but the size. Great little gun. I also like the Firestar. But its only a SA.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

S&W 642 revolver. Forget the holster, just stick in your pocket.
    You won't have to worry about the "fail-to-feed", "fail-to-extract",
    "fail-to-eject" issues.

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I like the Glock 19, in an in the waist ban holster, it feels good.

tony

9. wivanr

wivanr Member

I like a glock 23 .40 cal 13rd mag.Compact light weight with lots of poop.

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Kahr PM9 or MK9. Conceals under a golf shirt.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 5 shot .38 Special (+p) J frame revolvers like the S&W 642 are the way to go when you are looking for a very small concealed carry piece. They carry beautifully with or without a holster. But true benefit of these small revolvers is they can be depended on to fire a cylinderful of moderately effective rounds by simply pulling the trigger five times.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Glock 23 [40 S&W]... light weight and stopping power.

13. STOS

STOS Member

I have been packing a Glock 23 40 cal for 10 years.Very easy to carry and gives you plenty of fire power.

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I carry exactly the same piece including the grips that eddiefromoverlook shows in his post. I use a different holster, but it has been my carry gun for longer than Texas has had a CHL law. MOD 38 S&W, 14 Oz, and it just disappears and doesn't drag my trousers down.

In the winter if I know I am going somewhere that may need all I can pack, I carry an XD Compact 45 acp. But, you have to have the clothes (coat) to conceal it.

HBT

15. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

S&W 642 or 638 with Laser grips.

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I don't know of a single professional (not to brag but I know a few), who doesn't have a S&W snubby of some kind to carry on certain occasions when a bigger gun just won't fit and to use as a back up. Especially the light weight versions are just universally recommended.

17. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I do not like Glocks and will likely never own one, however they are combat proven and 100% reliable. I would recommend a Glock 19 for CC.

18. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Nothing is 100% in life and what Army besides the "Austrians" issues the Glock?

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Find an indoor range that rents various firearms and try several.

20. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

First of all CCW1911 combat does not necessarily mean military (though many SF and paramilitary forces have/do use them), a large number of police departments (probably the majority)use Glocks. Second, you are correct nothing is 100% but if you look at reviews (particularly one conducted by the owner of ADCO firearms, i believe its on youtube) you will see that this model has proven itself time and time again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.