1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recommend on 12gage home defense

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gotbass, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotbass

gotbass Member

Looking for something to compliment the bedside and carry gun. I've heard the discussions between pumps and autos. I'm really asking your preference and why, plus details on stocks v pistol grips, extended capacity, etc. Let the ammo preference wait for another thread. Thanks. Mike plus I thought it would be fun to build another toy. I know gauge.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I vote for the Rem. 870 pump. You can get them from plain to as fancy as you like if you look hard. But there is not a person on this planet how does not know the sound of this pump loading a shell. The perps should run out of the house before you need to use it. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. cowboy82ndway

cowboy82ndway TS Member

i own a mossberg 500 pursuader w pistol grip its a good gun for no more than it gets used fairly inexpensive but reliable and easy to shoot. one sugestion though if you get one w pistol grip buy the reduced recoil buckshot. as for the extended tube mine holds 6+1 and i think if i couldnt hit um with the first 7 i dont need the gun anyways lol hope this helped shane

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have both the Remmy 870 Police and a Mossberg 500A for trainers. They both work. The Remmy is easier to download.

Use the Pump. Some Law Enforcement ammo does not work autos reliably. It is easier to initially load under stress when in Condition Three (empty chamber, hammer down, safety off, loaded magazine) than the auto.

For MY home security, I have my Remmy in the safe and the loaded Mossy close at hand, in Condition Three.

The pistol gripped shotgun is much harder to handle effectively than a shotgun with a shoulder stock.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I also use the Mossberg 500. I added an adjustable stock with pistol grip.

For home defense I use standard game loads - #6 shot. I have some tactical slug loads I bought because they sounded cool but I can't see a use for them - unless I need to shoot through a wall or door to get the BG. If you live a rural area, the slug loads would let you reach out farther - but a rifle is far better for that.

I like the pump for its reliability and ease of use. It is also inexpensive.

I am a very good pistol shot but the Mossberg is the gun I will go to if someone with bad intentions is in the house.

The 870 is a great gun too. I bought the 500 because it was less money and had a good track record. Either gun will make an excellent choice.

Don Verna

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got an 870 Super Mag, black synthetic stock propped up in the corner next to the bed. I've got an open box of Nitro 27 shells 7.5 sitting on the night stand. Thought about getting a few 3" or 3.5" goose loads to go on the night stand also, but damn they wouldn't be nothing left to the perp if they got shot close range with one of those. Too messy. Shoot em with standard trap loads and you can haul em out in one piece.

Remington 870. Nothing better for home defense.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Some years back I read an absolutely hilarious blog on this same subject. The contributors all took a humorous slant on things but the collective thought was this. It's a pump gun because the simple sound of a pump going into battery is worth at least two or three shots: the bad guys have been told how this game is going to be played. As to the load, the preference was for the healthiest dose of #7.5-9 shot as possible because it would do less damage to the interior of the house. It all seemed like good advice.

8. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Remington 870 Factory all the way with 18 or 20 inch bbl.

9. Shooting Coach

Although Sarge is grim, he is 1000% right.

My Mossy was bought needing parts to work ($3.64 mag spring) and cost me a total of $135 including pistol gripped stock.

If used to stop a Home invasion, the Court will have it tied up for who knows how long. I will still have the 870P for training and/or a backup.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Most any short-barreled (18"-20") 12-gauge pump will do. However, your choice of ammunition is what's critical. For inside the home, do not use 00 or 000 buck. They tend to over-penetrate. Use #4 buckshot. The pellets are smaller, and they will not go through the target, and walls, like 00 or 000.

The gun should be kept in condition one (cocked, locked, round in the chamber). DO NOT keep an empty chamber, and rack the slide. The BG may not know what the sound is; you will waste a round with empty space; and you will waste precious time chambering a round. The only thing you want to have to do, is to click off the safety and shoot, if necessary.

Most states have "castle" laws, that is, you do not have to prove you are in danger in your own home to use deadly force, and you do not have to abandon it. Someone in your home, uninvited, especially at 2:00AM, gets what he/she deserves if shot. Now, once they start running away, and the threat is over, it's a different story...

Best,
    Dennis

11. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

one more idea is that there are some of those handguns that shoot a 410 buckshot round that might work. most 410 buckshot shells have 5 pellets of #0 buck.

12. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

the best round you could use would be to hand load some and use split shot, you know the stuff you put on fishing string for weights. it dose not just put a hole in something it grabs flesh and tears it as it goes through. if you hunt load one and go shoot a rabbit with it and you will see what i mean. there is no way some one could live through it.

13. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

How about a Mossberg 835 with tactical pistol grip?

Thanks,
    Derek

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like walnut stocks.

more control

I don't shoot clays from the hip

delivers a great buttstroke

can use it for a crutch

some after markets are cheap plastic junk,

looks better laying on the table in front of the jury.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

#4's really make a lot of noise when their bouncing off a get-a-way car.

16. jhoward

jhoward Member

I prefer an 870, but then that's what I shoot for trap as well and I'm very familiar with the controls. The biggest difference is the location of the safety, I believe the Mossberg has a tang safety while the 870 has the safety on the trigger guard. Get whichever you are more comfortable with.

As to the rest, any modification to the weapon can be a negative should end up in court. Extended magazines, pistol grips, folding stocks, ect they give the weapon a more military or LE look and can cast a negative light with a jury. If you leave the plug out of a standard 870 you'll still have 5 shots. A light would be a nice accessory but I'd hesitate to add much else.

As for loads, just make sure they are factory loads and that you have more of the same load in the house. With reloads there is no way to prove what you had loaded in the shells and an overzealous prosecutor can use that against you. Stuff like what Landyn posted above might put you behind bars when the prosecutor plays it to jury, "The defendant purposely loaded shells to be more deadly and intended not to defend himself, but to kill." It would not be the first time someone went to prison because of that arguement.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If not in a criminal court, civil court is also something to fear. All reloads are special made mankillers or worse yet, Copkillers.lol,

Shooting coach would probly know more on these cases of law.

Fact or myth?

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

"#4's really make a lot of noise when their bouncing off a get-a-way car."

If you are shooting at the car you have a more serious problem to worry about. Like, why in the World of Sports are you engaging someone who is no longer a threat?

Then, if you miss with a slug - depending where that ounce of lead finally comes to rest, the hot water may be rather uncomfortable.

Don Verna

19. Shooting Coach

I must disagree with having a home defense shotgun in Condition One. Every single Instructor I have taken training under without exception, teaches Condition Three, or in Law Enforcement vernacular, "Vehicle Carry Mode". "Tactical Mode" is Condition One. As soon as the fight or incident is over, shotguns are transitioned back to empty chamber.

Once the gun is transitioned to Condition One (round is chambered), it is ready for immediate use. A Defensive Shotgun shooter should index on the safety, which will be on at all times until ready to fire.

A while back, I spent a delightful week with Brian Hoffner, one of the top Defensive Shotgun trainers in the world. He will totally change the way you look at a Riot Gun!

As far as reloads in defensive situations, the main issue would be if a shooter missed his target and caused injury to an uninvolved bystander. If a case of Excessive Force came up in Civil Court, the ammo you use will be under scrutiny. So will every thing in your life!

Even an experienced professional will miss most shots in a Lethal Confrontation. Do not fool yourself thinking you will do better. Find cover, do not attempt a shot you do not have TOTAL confidence in, and even while in a panic, try to see what is behind your target.

Civil Court is nothing more than shaking the money tree and seeing if money falls off it. You will be the money tree. Your homeowners, etc, Insurance will NOT cover a Defensive Incident. Shooting at an Offender is a deliberate act.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks Coach,

Having no kids I think I like the steel bedroom door locked and barred idea. The can have my big sceen, Anything of real value is in the big safe with me and Smith and Wesson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.