1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a good camper truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by magnumshot, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I am looking for a good used truck for local to and fro lite jobbing, but I also want to find a bed camper for the ocassional jaunt with the better half and to shoots. I was thinking about a Ford F-250 extra cab or crew cab with the 7.3 turbo diesel and 4x4. I'm partial to Fords. Anybody got recommendations and where is the best place to go in the country to get a truck? The dealers around here are barren. Thanks in advance. I'm in Eastern Pa.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Lots of 'em in Texas if ya wanna travel that far.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Texas is truck country for sure.

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Texas huh? Might give me an excuse to visit a friend. I am looking for recommendations from those with experience. I am used to smaller weight trucks, my last three were F-150's, and I just spent a half week tent camping at Assateague Island. I'm getting too old for the ground.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If you want a great all around truck, look for Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton Duramax. Look for an '07 classic without the particulate burner. Look for the six speed Allison and diesel. Damn Fords of the era have headbolt issues and turbo issues. Dodges are great, but had trans issues and the build quality not up there like Ford and Chevy. Overall: Ford best truck; but trans and engine mediocre. Best Ford engine 7.3 diesel. Dodge 6.7: Maybe best engine for towing, the Cummins. Chevy/GMC: Best trans, engine on a par with Cummins save simplicity and low end torque, best all-arounder. I drive one and love it; were I towing huge loads I'd consider Dodge, a late model Dodge with a stick shift six speed.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm not a diesel guy but I was really wondering about those whose opinion of the 6.0 Ford was less than great....my take on it was most people that had problems with head bolts and such were the ones trying to wring a lot of extra ponies out of them with those chips and tuner boxes...for the most part if left alone as Ford intended the Power Stroke was a perfectly reliable engine...am I wrong? fill me in

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

ttt
    Still looking at trucks. Regular xtra and crew cab w/ 4x4 8 foot bed. Best diesel motors these days and trans? Never had a diesel before.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought a 2500HD 4x4 Chevy with the 6 liter gas engine, 6 speed tranny. I'll tow with it some but it's also my winter truck for around town. Comparable diesels were 10-12K more. I can buy a LOT of gas for that along with the extra they get for diesel maintenance. Milage is about the same.
    Now if I was to tow with it 100% of the time then maybe a diesel would be better.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

This is why I need advice. Thanks.

10. warren

warren Member

I bought my Ford diesel on ebay from a dealer in San Antonio flew out from Calif. drove it home and still saved a couple of thousand. Plus had a very nice little trip. I've had it for four years still runs like a top.

warren

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have a 2004 chevy 4x4 2500HD with 6.0 gas motor 8 ft bed,,,have tow 16 ft enclosed full of bikes,,,3500 round trip to sturgis no problems,,,many trips to canada border..tennesse, NC and Elysberg,,,just hit 80,000 miles,,I drive it in NY City every day ,,,so just put in new hub berrings and U-Joints,,,brakes still origanial,,,great truck,,,will be getting a slide in camper as soon as I get a HHR or some other econo box for comuting

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mine's an '01 F250, super cab with the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel. It's accumulated 88,000 miles with much of that towing 5th wheels that were 7500 and 9000 lbs each. It did it's job without flaw in the significant mountains of the far west before I, just in time for the economy, bailed out of the trailer. It has been so trouble free that I'll continue to drive it and enjoy the "highway" 22 MPG without a trailer and the brute strength. I opted for 2WD at the time of purchase and dickered until it was mine for invoice price and included running boards and mud flaps. I've done nothing but lube/oil/filters for maintenance in the 8 years. From what I've seen, the 7.3 PS is a more reliable engine than the later ones. Trust me, towing just one trip a year with a good sized trailer is worth driving a diesel all year......Bob Dodd

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I agree with Bob Dodd; in fact am sitting in my travel trailer in the boonies of Utah after towing the 7000 pound trailer (wet) and about another 1000 lbs of gear in the back of the '07 (diesel) Duramax from L.A. No problems, a demanding pull since so much was uphill up to 8000 feet approx via Vegas etc. Got 12.8 mpg on trip, using Banks Speedbrake and hardly have to use the service brakes of the truck. In campground with AC on and cable show is going on in the background. Ran on cruise at 61 mph most of the time, even up long grinds like the Baker grade etc. Truck just in its "sweet spot" at 2000 rpm when it had to downshift one gear here and there. Did hit 1350 F egt one time, and the Banks tuner, set for tow applications, pulled out some fueling and all settled down. Piece of cake, all well...

14. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Not an expert on it but my dually dodge 3500 has towed my 5th wheel in a cross wind of 50 mph and not wavered an inch. Dan

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Still on the road (since Sept. 10) and now in Estes Park Colorado with aformetnioned rig. Total mpg thus far after 2000 miles plus is 13.8. Spent three days at 9400 feet altitude visiting in laws. Truck pulled better than I at that elevation. Was at speed limit all the way to Estes Park from Golden Colorado and never saw any exhaust gas temp over 1000 degrees, mileage held in there.

But....were I not towing 50% of the time, I'd likely opt for a 1/2 ton sporty short bed short cab 6.0 gas truck..

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought a new 91 Dodge/Cummins and put 480,000 miles on it towing FEMA trailers after hurricane ndrew hit S. Florida. Never a problem with the engine,(other than the loss of a belt tensioner). Burned up a rear end at about 250,000,(my fault for not servicing it often enough). When I sold the truck it was still holding the exact same oil pressure that it did when brand new.

I now own and drive an 01, F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3 engine. LOVE it too. The Ford is a little harder on fuel than the Cummins and doesnt seem to have quite a much low end "grunt", but it does very well over all.

My take on the Chevy/duramax combo is that it burns twice the fuel for equal power to the Ford or Dodge. I have only driven one of them and the darned thing only got 6-7 MPG pulling a 26 foot cargo trailer that was loaded with yard sale stuff. Also---I cant bring myself to trust a diesel engine that has aluminum heads bolted to a cast iron block. Sounds like a reciepe for disaster to me.

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Let me add to my remarks on the '01 F250 with the 7.3 Power Stroke, I took the advice of a trusted Ford dealer early on and had a "Super Chip" installed (superchips Inc.) and it was remarkable in added response and power (questionable any improvement in mileage) and has had no ill effect on the engine/vehicle. I even went to my selling dealer and asked the service manager about any risk in adding a modest - not racing - chip to the engine and he basically said that they had seen excellent results with the SuperChip and also would NOT go out of their way to see that I was denied any warranty work just because if the installation. None ever happened anyway.....Bob Dodd

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The Duramax that shadow drove sounds like it had an issue. Gale Banks Inc. swears by the D'Max as the best all around machine. However, to me, that 6.7 Cummins/Dodge combo also looks really sweet. I imagine it ges more mileage than the 8 cylinder diesels due to less internal friction. I don't see a problem with the aluminium heads/iron block if the engine is maintained correctly...that is to prevent overheating due to poor maintainance.

Ford, by the way, is coming out with a corporate (Not Navistar/International) diesel engine in the future. It will be a 6.7 liter V-8. Sounds promising...

19. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I have a 97 F250HD 7.3 Powerstroke XLT,Supercab,4x4,auto,w/8'slide-in camper for sale. Just what you need. Don't listen to the negs. about diesel maint. I have maint. records to prove it and this model is highly sought after.Give me an e-mail addy and I'll tell you all about it.I live near Pittsburgh.

20. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

magnumshot I just bought a 99 F-350 Superduty V-10 auto 4.30 gear 2WD Crew Cab and its just what I wanted, I found it in Long Beach CA 98700 miles when purchased and drove it back to PA got between 13.30 mpg and 13.78 mpg going between 75 and 82 mph I really love it comfortable truck for 11000 GVW go with the Ford the newer models are even nicer. Pat.k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.