1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recomendation for Youth Start Gun????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lbshootin, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Looking forward to getting my 10yr old son started on targets.. I am looking for rcomendations on a starter gun. He currently bangs away for fun with my Mdl42 410, but he wants to hit more targets, and we both know the 410 is not the way to go....he is 5ft 1n, 89lbs, a LOP of around 13in...he has tried my 870 with a 28 barrel/20ga, but it I too heavy for a fulll round...any input will be greatly appreciated...LarryB

2. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

3901 beretta youth model

3. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

I was literally about the same size when I started shooting. I think this conversation begins and ends with a 20ga 1100-LT.

4. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

I agree on Beretta 3901 Target youth...adjustable LOP and will cycle with light 1 oz loads with hardly any recoil...great gun...here is the link...

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-target-rl-12/26/

my step-son is 5-2 and weighs 95...fits him perfect...My wife also shoots it and she is 5-2 and 115...adjustable comb helps get their head in just the right spot

I bought mine from Silver Dollar Firearms...he posts on here often...Gave him a credit card on Wednesday...picked up gun from my FFL on Friday...

you will have no trouble selling it when your child grows out of it...

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That Beretta youth gun looks just right to get a kid going. I saw one at Ben Avery during the AZ state shoot. Doug Gray, of " Gray Shotgun Cache" was selling one to a lady there. I should have bought one. I have several new shooters lined up to get started this spring and I'm sure it would work well for the smaller kids.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1187 youth.

21 inch barrel and a short LOP, both of which can be upgraded to full size as he grows.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I started my son with a Krieghoff Model 32 O/U with 30" barrels. He was 10 1/2 and weighed about the same. 3-weeks later he broke his first 25 and his first 50 wasn't much later. That summer he broke his first registered 100. The late Frank Little once said at 85 lbs. the youngster was ready for a 12 GA. I'd say get him a BT-99 with 32" barrels at the very least. He'll end up wanting one shortly after he learns to hate semi-autos and you'll save yourself one step up!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.