1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RECOIL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KL, Jul 24, 2013.

1. KL

KL TS Member

Having problem with a 12 year old grandson. He can handle the Remington 11-87 20 ga auto but tried to upgrade to a Browning Citori Youth Model 20 ga and he can only handle about 50 rounds. Waiting on Winchester to do a manufacturing run on the new 20 ga AA Featherlite/low recoil/low noise shell. Suggestions?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I assume you don't reload 20 gauge. Nobelsport makes a low recoil 20 gauge shell. See link above. Fiocchi also makes a 20 gauge Trainer Load. Mark

3. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

My 13 y.o. grandson recently visited and shot 5 rounds of trap with a Beretta 390 RL using 1150 fps 1oz loads with no ill effects. His high score was 16x25 which I thought was pretty good considering it was the first time he had ever fired a gun. Good luck with your grandson.

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My just turned 12 grandaughter shoots a 12 ga BT 99 with a Gracoil recoil reduction system. She practices with 7/8 oz loads but has shot over 1000 targets this year with a number of 200 target events, full 1 1/8 oz STS and no no problems with recoil. Get rid of the 20 ga and go to a regular trap 12 ga gun with a recoil system.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have you considered reloading? I load my 20 gauge shells with 3/4 oz shot and they are very gentle. JM

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I just set my 9 yr. old granddaughter up with a Browning Micro Midas 20 ga. O/U and a Bump-Buster recoil system a month ago. This is a step up from the cut down 28 ga. 870 she started with 8 months ago. She used the 20 this past weekend in the Texas State 4 H shoot and took 4th in girls jr. Trap and 6th in girls jr. Skeet. Shot 50 skeet targets and 100 sporting clays targets one day and 50 trap targets the next , all with 7/8 oz. loads. She has NO recoil issues and you have to make her quit when she shoots practice. And yes, I'm proud as Hell of her performance this past week end!!!!!! There were 970 shooters at the shoot.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

7. tincanman

tincanman Member

Fatigue can be caused by recoil and muscle failure. Rookie shooters should do at least 50 gun mounts each night to develop the muscle memory to hold the gun up and not fight it each time. It might be wise to invest in a gun pad for him to rest the muzzle on between shots to help eliminate fatigue. Switch to 12 gauge as soon as your wallet allows. 20 g guns are light but that means more perceived recoil for the shooter. He'll get there. With a little practice and plenty of gun mounts (aka gun homework) he'll be there in no time. Beretta 391's, and RL 3901, BT-99 Micro's. All good rookie guns to search for.