1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil with over/under vs. semi-auto.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Someone told me they thought that recoil is less with an over/under than a semi-auto...... true or not? Jill

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally not. A semi-auto usually has a gas assisted system which lessens perceived recoil. An O/U does not.

jim

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Not true. If both guns are the same weight, the auto (gas gun) will have much less felt recoil. Think of both guns being fired from a scale. The O/U will have one sharp spike of recoil where the auto will have several smaller spikes (that all add up to the larger spike that the O/U has). What changes is the deration of the recoil....it's still there, there's no getting around throwing X mass at Y velocity, but spread out. The result is you are pushhed instead of punched.

There are many ways to reduce felt/perceived recoil such as proper gun fit or even better hearing protection. But there are only 2 ways to actually reduce recoil and that is either go to lighter loads or add weight to your gun.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had an NCP Beretta which is & was most likely the softest shooting gun I will ever own. I would still have owned in, if I was not using a release trigger & will not use an auto-loader for doubles. I did not feel safe uncocking the gun with the trigger set, hitting the trap once was one time,was once too many. My current Infinity is as soft as it can get when combined with 1 oz loads.

Phil Berkowitz

5. yansica1

yansica1 Member

If both weight the same, then as Tron says, the recoil will seem less with a semi auto but and it is a big but, in clay shooting terms you will find that there are more good, heavy O/U guns than there are good, heavy semi`s.
    I shoot both and unless you get a nice heavy semi, the recoil is no better than a decent heavy O/U.
    Another thing worth mentioning is that the O/U seems to have a very crisp recoil as opposed to the semi which can feel quite shaky for obvious reasons.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Along with break opens, I have had a Remington 1100 trap, and 11-87 trap and a 391 trap, and the problems with all of the the semi autos was cleaning and upkeep. I enjoyed shooting every one of them and I never walked off the line with a broken gun, but they just plain require more maintenance. Any design of fire arms that dumps combustion by products and other debris into the trigger mechanism is going to need more cleaning. It is the same with the M-16 rifle vs the M14. The M16 fills its internals with its own exhaust. I could shoot my M14 1/2 the season and never clean lube or adjust the trigger.

You have lots of options. There are so many good, better, best recoil reducers for over and under shotguns, that shooting an automatic only because of reduced recoil should not be a consideration. I had a Clyde-Slide installed on my singles Beretta and it was wonderful. Like the gentleman above posted, a nice heavy over/under does not kick that much anyway, especially with target loads. You just have to choose what pluses and minuses you are most comfortable living with. Good Luck

7. JH

JH Well-Known Member

A nine pound over/under with a recoil attenuating device and light loads will minimize felt recoil. They are easier to clean......one catch: THEY ARE HEAVY!

A light semiauto with or without recoil attenuating device and light loads will minimize felt recoil. They are harder to clean....one catch: THEY ARE LIGHT!

Most older guys eventually go to the semi because lifting heavy over/under guns leads to FATIGUE (particularly in hot weather) which lowers scores.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta -browning over under recoil comparison
how hard do over under kick

low recoil over under shotgun

lowest recoil over under shotgun
over and under with least recoil

over under vs semi auto

recoil reducers for over and under shotguns

what recoils harder semi or over under