1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RECOIL TEST

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was given a box of Nitro Sporting Clays shells, 11/8 @ 1300 FPS. I know they are not legal for ATA events. I shot them in my single barrel trap gun. Recoil was very,very minimal. Does this mean than any legal ATA trap load should have less felt recoil? I been very recoil shy because of my bad back & have limited my shooting loads to 1 oz.

Phil Berkowitz

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Hard to know exactly why those loads had less perceived recoil than a 1200fps trap load. For a full 1 & 1/8oz load with less recoil you go to a 2&3/4 dram load at 1150fps or so.

Eric

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I believe those shells are legal in ATA if they chrono less than 1328.7 fps. Wayne

Edit: Phil you are right, 1290 fps. is ATA max for 1-1/8 loads. I was looking at the 3% of your shot charge you could be over. Wayne

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Phil, Nitro sporting clay loads kick the sh-- out of me even in my beretta auto

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

A reasonably good estimation of the recoil of two different shells can be made by simply multiplying the velocity by the weight of the shot. The one with the smallest product will have the least recoil.

I realize that this method will only give relative recoil data. It does not consider acceleration, wad and powder weight, but it is not a bad way to rank the recoil resulting from different shells.

Pat Ireland

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It clearly states on the box:"not legal for ATA", I think you would most likely be disqualified if you were caught using them in an ATA event. I tried a new recoil pad with a slight angle spacer that Greg Hissem fitted for me & added an Ultra rib on my gun which meant I had to raise the comb 3/8". The comfort level was unreal.

Phil Berkowitz

7. dzeh

dzeh Member

Are you sure that they were not reloads or something? The only time I shoot those are for long sporting clays shots. There is no way a 1300 Nitro is going to have very, very minimal recoil. I shot a few on a really long teal throw yesterday and they smacked me pretty hard. I usually shoot Federals or Gun Club 1oz loads 2 3/4 dram in my Beretta SPIII with a Bumpbuster. The Nitros are harder hitters than AA's going at 1300 in my opinion. A couple weeks ago I shot sc's with a fella who was shooting Fiochi's at 1400. I think he was a masochist.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

These shells were sent to me directly from Remington as replacements for a bad batch of STS shells.

Phil Berkowitz

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Phil, the changes you made to your gun made the differences you noticed. Your normal 1 ounce loads with that set-up will feel more like shooting a BB gun. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.