1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil systems with sliding combs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MtnGun, Jul 18, 2013.

1. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

How many different kinds are there?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Only one that is any good - G Squared.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Jim I hope you were kidding.

ProSoft, Stock lock, Soft Touch, and the perfect fit stock from Colorado are what most All Americans use, as well as most top shooters.

Stafford, Kiner, Bonillas, Ohye, Campbell, Hawley, add weight for their recoil reduction.

I can't think of one top shooter that uses a G-Squared. And yes I have owned one. I'm sure you can name one ?

I have owned the Soft Touch, Counter Coil, G-Squared, Stock Lock, and the best of them all the ProSoft by Phil and Nate Simms.

This is not to condemn the G-Squared, its just not popular at all, why I don't know.

Tom

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have the G2 shockmaster, SoftTouch, and Carey Baron's slick slide, and like them all. But for the price I paid for each of them, I can say that the Slick Slide is the one I would go with if I had to do it over. JM

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

G-Squared is the best and most durable. The reason many others are used instead is simply cost. Many are copies of the G-Squared.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Precision Fit Stock

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Soft touch

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've forgotten them all but ProSoft.

HAP

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am with Jim1079: I have the Slick Slide By Carey Baron 208-476-7480

Best price for that system, comb stays stationary, gun moves, soft shooting system.

I have sold at least 5 of them for him. They shot mine and decided they wanted one.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All of them are take-offs or similar copies from the old plastic Hydra-coil from the 1950's. Phil Ross shot one in his Model 12 for 40 years. People are still trying to find parts for them. The only thing really new is the PFS, and it's getting kind of long in the tooth

11. njuliano

njuliano Member

I have a Soft Touch and like it a lot.

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

They all look ugly and hurt resale value.

13. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder but they definately do not hurt resale value if they are quality reducers, I have sold several with Clyde slydes on them and have always got a premium for having the reducer on them and in most cases got my money back.Jerry

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Unless you have some severe physical issues: A properly designed stock will do more for recoil reduction than any sliding system that does not fit you.

Joe Goldberg

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have known two people that shoot the G squared and both are unhappy. They loose there air. One sent his back got it rebuilt (btw the guy is great to deal with) anyway got it back set it up to the right feel for him and did not shoot the gun for a couple months. Picked it up and sure enough low on air and slamming back into him. He has since ordered Carey Barons set up for another gun and loves it.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Joe-- It is a rare thing to see a Mach-one or an Infinity with a recoil device. However: you'll see lots of other high end guns with recoil devices.

Phil Berkowitz

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I always wondered why all mechanical recoil reduction systems, did not include the comb as one piece. I would think that your cheek would get sore from being stretched back all the time.

I think when you put these systems on the gun, you slime down the market for your gun, as to who would be willing to pay extra for them. Because you have to cut the stock so short, taking them off if you don't like, or want them, is really not an option. If you find a buyer that however is looking for a recoil reduction system on a particular model, you may recoup some of the costs.

On a side note, the guy that took high gun in our league was shooting 1090 fps., 391 out of 400. 16 weeks @ 25/week.

18. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have shot a Soft Touch, RAD and ProSoft. Looked hard at a StockLock a few years ago, but the seller was not interested in letting me try one.

By far the best I have tried is the ProSoft. Very adjustable for absorption and when it starts to retract, plus the stock is custom made for you.

You may not like the looks, but the fact is that Force = Mass X Acceleration. That is why people put weight in the gun, to increase the mass.

Custom stocks can reduce felt recoil, but the recoil force is the same unless it is absorbed or the duration of the recoil time is increased.

Don Rackley

19. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Himark -
    Regarding the two shooters you know who've had problems: Geez, I wish people would call me when something goes wrong with one of these... especially if I recently worked on it. I try very hard to respond quickly if anyone has a problem! We've been making these for almost 25 years now, so by now a few of them will need their air units rebuilt. I only charge $50.00 in most cases, and $65.00 if they need a new piston installed with the rebuild. I try to turn around air cylinder rebuilds in 1 working day or less, by the way, and almost always accomplish this. When necessary, and someone gives me a heads up that it's coming, I can even do it the same day. If you're local or in the area, I will do it while you wait. Really, air cylinder rebuilds is about the only maintenance item these need, and for most shooters it will take years to get to this point.

Now, regarding the shooter who stored it for a couple of months after I rebuilt it, and it was low on air. The answer may surprise some, but try pumping it up again and see if it loses air in the next week or two. Addition of air to these is very simple, with no dis-assembly required. If it does lose air again that fast, call me and I'll fix it for nothing. I rarely have anything come back a second time, and it bothers me a lot when something does! The fact is, when these sit in a closet or safe for a few months (and we're usually talking at least 6 or 8 months here), some of them will lose air. Regardless, even if they sat for 20 years it wouldn't hurt them a bit, just pump them back up and they should be fine. In the last years of my fathers life he had a number of them in his closet, some would still have air after a number of years, and some would lose all of their air in 6 or 8 months of sitting. Regardless, it never damaged any of them, and none of them ever had any reliability problems as a result. Time flies, and I suspect your friend may have had it sitting for more than a couple of months..... but I'd appreciate a call from the customer in a case like this, particularly if it seems more problematic than that. You really shouldn't ever have to put air in one of these more than once or twice a year, period! If you or someone you know is adding air more often than that, please call me so I can help you fix it. These systems are exremely reliable!

Regarding the other shooter who's system is losing air: Geez, I can't fix it if they won't tell me about it. Often in these cases, and especially if there isn't a lot of rounds run through it since the system was installed, I can simply put a couple of new valve cores in an envelope and send it to them. There is no charge for this, and it very often will fix the problem! These are, by the way, a very special valve core and very often it will leak more if you simply replace it with just anything that the local auto parts store has in stock, so call me and I'll send you the correct one free. (760)788-8888

When you've been doing these as long as we have, there is a lot of air units out there which could probably use a rebuild at some point, and all it takes is one or two shooters who have a problem, or have an aging reducer in need of rebuild, to post something on line and make it look like they always have problems... The honest truth is, they just don't! Let ME ask a question: Would many of you swear off of a particular brand of gun because a couple of people at your club had to have them repaired after some unknown number of rounds had been through them? I'm not knocking you or your post Himark, I'm just asking... How many guns can be shot indefinitely without ever breaking? Is it then always an indicator of the reliability and quality of the gun?

Stl Flyn - You asked why all recoil reduction systems don't include a sliding comb. I think I can answer that: To make something like a Counter Coil or a Gracoil (And I am NOT picking on either one here) is a lot simpler and less expensive to both manufacture and install. It seems to me that you can pretty much pull something like that out of a box, fit it to a stock, and you are good to go (OK, I probably over-simpified that a hair). To install anything with a sliding comb is substantially more complicated, especially when using the original comb, as the stock itself becomes an integral part of the recoil reduction system in order for it to function. It's typically going to be more complicated and more expensive to manufacture. Systems like the Counter Coil and Gracoil offer a different class of recoil reduction which is often good enough for some shooters, particularly if they are on a budget.

Tom Strunk: I won't repeat your entire post here, but you ended with "This is not to condemn the G-Squared, its just not popular at all, why I don't know." Let me take a stab at this: To the best of my knowledge, it's been the practice of most in the gun industry to provide "free" guns or equipment to top shooters so that others would see "the best" using their products. This is hardly a big secret. To the best of my knowledge, most or all of my competitors are no stranger to this practice. My father and I made a decision early on to shun this practice, and this may be the main reason you don't see most of the top shooters shooting a Shockmaster at one time or another(With a notable exception or two). I've litterally given away 3 Shockmasters in my career, and very strongly regret one of them. It's not because I'm cheap, but because my father and I saw this practice as, at least to some small degree, a bit of a dishonest practice. Also, there is always the philosophical problem of with whom do you start and whom do you say no to. We are a small shop, with a limited yearly production, so how would I decide who is and who isn't worthy of a free one without offending a few. I think those of you who decide what equipment to buy based in large part on which top dogs use what, should keep the above in mine.

Mike

20. larryx

larryx Member

You forgot one. Bill Simons billsimons@vtc.net
    .$450+35 for pad 520 508 6129

Search tags for this page

air tech sliding comb

g squared recoil reducer forum

g squared recoil reducer reviews

g squared shockmasters for sale

slidind comb and but platefor shotguns

sliding comb on shotgun