1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Systems: Stock Lock, Prosoft, Soft Touch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Erin Collins, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

Hi All

I am looking to purchase a recoil system that dramatically reduces felt recoil and prevents stock movement on the face. As it stands, I am trying to decide between a stock lock system, a prosoft system and a soft touch system. I am wondering the following:

1. Most importantly, which system is the most effective ie results in the greatest reduction in felt recoil?

2. Which system offers the best value for the price?

3. Do all of the systems have a titanium option to reduce added weight?

4. Do the companies also provide custom stock fitting when you purchase a recoil system?

5. Do any of the systems have problems operating in very cold weather?

6. Generally speaking, what are your experiences dealing with the manufacturers of each of these systems?

7. Am I overlooking any good recoil systems that prevent stock movement on the face?

I would greatly appreciate your advice,

Erin Collins
    Ontario, Canada

2. MOP

MOP Active Member

I have had several SoftTouch's, and recently purchased a G2. Installations of the SoftTouch's were of varing quality. The G2 installation was executed well. Both systems offer good recoil reduction. The G2 adds little, if any, weight, and is mechanically simpler. Cost is comparable. You probably should attempt to try guns with the systems you are interested in.

3. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

Erin, If you want the very best in recoil reduction and stock fit, go to Pro Soft. To date there has never been a break down in the unit, not one!! When you recive one it is garentied for life! If there should be a problem, Phil will over night you the part, you can install it your self,[ because the unit is so simpel] and you are shooting the next day. Other units that I have seen, can take as much as two weeks to get up and working again. Phil, in my opion, is one of the very best stock fiters I have ever seen. That being said, you won't get a better price any were else! Sorry for the spelling, I suck at it! Bob Murray

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Leo started shooting a Stock Lock when he developed back issues. Wouldn't shoot anything else......

5. steele

steele TS Member

There is Pro-soft, & then the rest. I shot two Stock-lock systems & they seemed to grind/bind during movement. The Pro-Soft is as smooth as a baby's butt. Pricing is 1/2 of the Stock-lock.

6. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

The SoftTouch is installed in the back-end of the stock with an exclusive oil filled hydraulic cylinder, and has a 30-year history of quality and high performance. Each SoftTouch system is fabricated and installed based on the specific specs of the stock and the customer's personal preferences and style. The SoftTouch system has a long long long line of happy customers and you get a reliable piece of hardware for your hard-earned money. Plus the SoftTouch can be installed in any shotgun or rifle.

Beth - SoftTouch Custom Stocks

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have had a SoftTouch stock for years and used it in all four seasons with no problems. I have been very happy with it and highly recommend it. Customer service is excellent. JM

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

1. The best recoil reduction I've felt is with air cushion stocks; check out JS aircushion or the G squared. 2. For value PFS, Soft Touch, G2, Prosoft. 3. Soft Touch offers lightweight options; PFS, G2 are very light. 4. Simms at Pro-soft is a highly regarded fitter. 5. All work fine in the cold. 6. They're all nice people. 7. Precision Fit (PFS) makes a nice unit with good resale value, and you keep your wood. Some of these units install in your stock, with the others you pay extra for the walnut. GAP

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Erin,

Is your cheek being abraded by the comb sliding along it to the rear or is the comb impacting your cheek bone from below?

I'm wondering if you really need a recoil system or if you just need your stock fitted.

Rollin

10. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

ive tried them all, we compared the lock stock, soft touch and pfs and although they all work well none of them are as soft as a well setup auto, if you want low recoil do your self a faver and get a auto set up for you by a pro and for the same price of a lock stock, you can have a spare auto !!!! jonnyd.

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

I'll echo Leo's and Karla Harrison opinions, Pat's Stock Lock is the best, even in sub-zero weather, it's flawless incinerate em!

12. St thomas gun club

St thomas gun club TS Member

kevin white said if he had your money erin he would have a k-80 custom fitted.Then losses and pain would be a thing of the past.

13. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

Thank you so much for all of your insights! Rollin - the gun has always bumped my cheek bone a bit, especially in doubles. I have always to remember to keep the cheek very tight to the gun. I know this is likely related to gun fit. I purchased your gun fitting secrets book a couple of years ago and found it quite helpful, especially in terms of educating me in the theory behind gun fit. I've done some trial and error with the adjustments but what I really need now is a professional to put it all together.

I've been shooting this gun (beretta 682x trap combo) for 3 years. This season it started to abrade my cheek. I forgot to apply shaving dust one day, it pulled my cheek open and I've had a big problem with it ever since. Also, my shoulder muscles are really sore after a big shoot ie I can't lift my arm above my head.

I love trapshooting so much and really need something that will help me get seriously back into the game.

14. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

Also, I shoot 1 ounce 2/3 dram 8s for everything. Thats worked pretty well so far since I'm only at 23 yards. As I move farther back I'd like to shoot a heavier shell. As my gun stands, I get pounded in the cheek with anything more.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also get hit in the jaw if a gun doesn't fit me. One thing that helps me is a shorter stock but then there are folks who say short stocks hit them in the jaw.

I had one of the highly-regarded recoil reduction devices fit to my KX-5 before I ever shot it primarily so I could tailor the length of pull. I figured if I was going to have a LOP-adjustable gadget hanging on my gun, it might as well reduce recoil, too. Three years later, I had Wenig's make one of their New American stocks for the gun and the gun shot softer without any extra contraptions added to it!

Fit is everything!

Ed

16. biff

biff Active Member

I haven't tried any of the others except the PFS, but I am very pleased with my Soft Touch system and their customer service is second to none! Biff

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Erin,

Review the part on pitch. Wrong pitch is a common cause of "cheek slap" and can also allow the gun to move to the the rear during recoil abrading the cheek when the bottom toe of the recoil pad sticks out too far.

Rollin

18. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

Hi All - I don't know if you can tell if the pitch looks correct from images, but i've posted a few pics of myself shooting below. You can see the bruised cheek in the last image. I'm going to testdrive the tapered spacers this weekend. Thanks again for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Biff old buddy --

I believe you shot (once) my ProSoft equiped K-80 T/S at Sparta last week. What did you think about the recoil with that system ??

Tom Strunk

20. Bert Blackburn

Bert Blackburn TS Member

Erin,
    I had the same problem with the beretta top single. It was a problem even with a PFS until I added pitch. I have since gotten a custom stock that is working very well. If you would like to try my PFS I will set it up for you. I have a beretta grip. You can see if you like it before you invest in one. I am confident you will be happy.
    Bert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pro soft gun stocks

prosoft shotgun stocks

soft touch recoil
soft touch recoil reducer

soft touch recoil system

soft touch stocks
softtouch stock review
stock lock recoil system reviews