1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil System

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerry Tuten, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Tuten

Jerry Tuten TS Member

Does anyone remenber a recoil system that was called a Carey Comb,not sure if this is the right name, if so do you remenber you made it and if the are still in buiness?

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

You got the name right but they are no longer in business. I do have one of their stocks on my 870. It works just like a SoftTouch or a Shockmaster where the comb is attached to the recoil assembly so that the whole gun moves under the comb. Looking at the literature I have, Carey Combs was in business in 1949 and was issued a patent for his design. JM

3. stockguy

stockguy Member

His name was Don Carey and as far as I know, when Don retired so did the Carey Comb installations. I shot one on an MX8 for 17 years. Decent system but more easily adjustable systems (mainly comb adjustments) are available today. I still see the Carey Closer being sold today for semi-auto shotguns but I don't know if it is Don manufacturing it or if he sold the design to someone else.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Slick Slide is your next best option, made in Idaho made now by Carey Barron
    I just had one installed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I am working on a Carey Comb recoil system in the shop now and it is mechanically simular to my SlickSlide system so since Mr.Carey is no longer building them give me a call if you have any problems with one and I can take care of it for you.
    Thanks, Carey Barron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.