1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil reduction systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

what are some of the good recoil reduction systems?? What are the differences? Im thinking about getting one for my cynergy but i dont want to spend a buunch of money on something that wont be worth it.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Probably the most popular are the RAD and the Gracoil. (There are a lot of fans of the "Bumpbuster" as well) I have a RAD system on my 682 and feel it is a good system. That being said, I still feel you get the greatest reduction from adding weight to the gun and using lighter loads. (Much cheaper too). I had my RAD installed by Rod's Custom Stocks. See above website. Ed

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have a Bump Buster and a PFS. Although the BB is good, it is a distant second when compared to the PFS. The PFS (fitted to my Mono Gun) offers the ultimate in adjustability and side by side seems softer shooting than a Rem 1100. Now if only it was not so ugly. Marc

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Rod's installed a RAD on my buddy's Kolar T/S gun, he loves it. Estimated installed cost $425.00

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I have a Bump Buster on an A391. I had a Gracoil on a BT 99. A friend shoots a Perazzi with a RAD. They are all able to reduce felt recoil some. But I ended up with G Squared Shockmaster, expensive, but the best in recoil reduction by far. I have arthritis in my shoulders and neck and need the cushioning of the Shockmaster.

Dropping shot charge weight/velocity and adding weight to gun is also very effective if you're used to shooting heavy trap loads, or for that matter, even 2 3/4 dram loads @ 1-1/8 oz of shot.

Yeah, the Shockmaster will be be about 2.5x more expensive than the other alternatives but it works. My 2ยข worth.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

The PFS gives both recoil reduction and gun fit. It will not fit all guns but it will fit most guns used for trap shooting.

If you need a lot of cast off (> 5/8") it will not work. But that is a lot of cast off.

Also, Vern is a very good person to work with. Call him if you have any questions/concerns

Don Verna

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

G Squared - The best there is!

Jim Skeel

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Rad II on my Beretta 682 and i'm very happy with it. It allows you to adjust for LOP, recoil stiffness as well as the built in pad adjuster allows an infinate amount of cant and height adjustments. I'm not gonna say its the best because i only have a Gracoil on a BT99 to compare it too. It blows the Gracoil away. IMHO---Matt

9. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I went with the ISIS system. No regrets.

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

If you are on a budget (aren't we all in this economy) I would try this first.

Install a Gooey recoil pad, they dampen more recoil than any other pad (I have these on all my guns). Then be sure and shoot only 2 3/4 dram shells. Remember, the $100,000.00 that was won at the Grand this year was won shooting Federal paper light 8's. Do you really need more?? Also, they make a lot of really great one ounce loads today that you should try, just be sure to use the best shot in your reloads.

Use a little common sense. Until the "handicap" loads from all the companys were introduced there wasn't a lot of recoil reducing systems made. Now with these handicap loads being shot by a large amount of shooters, you see a least ten recoil reducing systems on the market to lower the felt recoil to the shooter.

Think about it.

Tom Strunk

11. grntitan

Tom---Just because there wasn't a bunch of recoil systems on the market in the past does not mean they were not needed. Technology has played a tremendous part in that area.---Matt

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned 2 RAD II's and have great results with them. I guess that explains why I purchased a second one.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

G Squared - The best there is! I second that notion.

It all comes down to money as far as I am concerned. Each product has it's place and price point. I am not a fan of Soft touch as the hydraullic unit fails and then you are out 150 bucks. There is no rythme or reason to the units failing. The gun can be used or not used and the unit seems to fail anyway. When you can get some systems for less then 500 installed it seems like a bunch to pay for an item that it would seem should not fail in the first place.
    The Rad/ Bumpbuster is also a good system and the price is very fair.

If money is not the biggest portion of your choice I would get the G-squared/ shockmaster. I think they are the best but budget is a factor and not everybody can or wants to afford one. I think with G-Squared you really get what you pay for and not so much with Soft Touch. Soft touch is 100 miles from my house so doing business with them would sure be nice but I will not be dinged for another 150.00 Hydraullic cylinder again. Jeff

14. grntitan

If money was no issue i would probably lean towards the Stock Lock system or the PFS. I have not tried either in an actual shooting situation but have shouldered guns with both. I like the Stock Lock's hidden design.----Matt

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I think Stock lock is around 3,000 dollars. Great product if you have the means, I highly reccomend one. Jeff

16. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Here we have a person that shoots a Browning Cynergy shotgun, an excellent, reliable gun that costs around $2,500 to $3,500.00. This person asked about a recoil reducing system that won't cost a bunch of money. I believe I gave him excellent advise.

Matt and Super-X Jeff -- I'm very aware of the the other recoil reducing systems out there, hell I've probably owned most and have a very good idea of what they cost and how reliable they are. It appears some don't, for instance the Stock-Lock STARTS at $4.195.00 not the $3,000.00 Super-X Jeff mentioned. Don't believe me, go to Dawson's web site and see for your self.

Just so you know I have had a Gregory air cushion stock, a Soft-Touch, a Counter-coil, a Stock-Lock and I'm now shooting with the best one made, by far the most reliable, the outstanding ProSoft made by Phil "Walnutmaker" Simms. The ProSoft starts at $3,000.00. and can go up if you choose a higher grade of wood. I am currently shooting a Kreighoff Trap Special, so the investment in the higher priced recoil reducing system is resonable for me. I just don't see the worth of putting a $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 stock on a $3,000.00 gun.

I believe my original advise was good. I was talking to Daro Handy a couple of weeks ago and recoil has been a problem for him in his later years too. He told me he is switching from 3 dram 1 1/8th loads to 1 ounce loads for handicap in the future, and he has been shooting a 1100 Remington as long as I can remember.

Recoil is accumlitive. It gets us all if we shoot a lot. I've been shooting for 32 years and have a collapsed disk in my back. If I want to enjoy this game, and I do, then I have to remove as much recoil as I can from my shotgun.
    On the tourament trail I believe I see more " RAD " recoil systems on shotguns than any other brand.

Tom Strunk
    soon to be 74 years young.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tom has great advice..that only years of shooting can provide.. For me..my PFS stocks have kept me in the game..having 3 bad disc in my neck.. Next on my list is the Bumpbuster..It's nothing more than an improved Rads system..with the sliding comb that vastly helps my neck..
    [​IMG]

18. grntitan

L-3, L-4, L-5 S1 for me. I now have (8)screws and (2)rods keeping everything together. Coupled with severe Osteoprosis i needed something to make the sport fun and not painful. I can relate.---Matt

19. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

yeah im not looking to spend 3k on a recoil reduction system. I dont have that kind of money to spend. Hell the gun just about did that. Im still young (22) and the day i spend that kind of money on a recoil system is when that will make me shoot 500 straight targets. Im not saying anythings wrong with them believe me id love to have one. I shoot good with my gun now but would like to get a recoil system. Ive been leaning towards the G squared, soft touch or gracoil. its going to be a christmas present from my girlfriend. Does anyone have anything bad to say about any of those 3? which one would be best for the money.

20. grntitan

Tom--For what its worth, here is what he originally asked for:

"Im thinking about getting one for my cynergy but i dont want to spend a buunch of money on something that wont be worth it."

Note he didn't say he didn't want to spend alot of money he said he didn't want to spend alot of money on something that won't be worth it. I Recomended the RAD II which i have and is very resonable and perhaps the best in the lower cost systems. I see people all the time spend $2000 on a $1500 gun to acheive their goals. I wouldn't but to each his own. I said IF money was no issue "I" would get the PFS or Stock Lock. Just making sure you read my posts right. Its all good ---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best recoil reduction system
best shotgun recoil reducer system
best shotgun recoil reduction system

recoil reduction systems for shotguns

shotgun recoil reduction system
shotgun recoil reduction system reviews

shotgun recoil reduction systems

trap gun recoil systems