1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil reduction system questions/opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I would like to put a recoil reducer on my gun. Gracoil or RAD is what my gunsmith installs, any opinion one way or the other? I would like one that needs minimal adjustment and is to adjust. I like to spend time shooting not fixing or adjusting. Thanks for your help!

2. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

easy to adjust, sorry for the misprint

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have both a Rad II and a Gracoil. The Rad II is a better reducer and is easier to make adjustments. They both work well and serve the purpose.

4. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Thanks for your reply. Any idea on costs? Is one more than the other?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Rad II was more. I don't recall how much though. The guy who did my work is now retired.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My standard reply to this question is, what is the problem. I went from gracoil to RAD to PFS. I am recoil sensitive and needed the best to fix the problem and stop the flinch. Fit is critical and PFS gives the most adjustments. I have a tear in the rotor cuff and my neck was killing me. I tried the high add on ribs, also. Figure out the cause then work on the solution.

JON

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ken Rucker's BumpBuster is a much better unit than either the Gracoil or RAD. Do a little research on the matter and give Ken a call, he makes the better mouse trap!

ss

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a Gracoil reducer with the length of pull adjustment feature. I had it installed before I ever shot my new KX-5 in 2002 primarily so I could play around with the LOP and figured why not add a recoil reduction benefit at the same time. I learned that setting the unit so I could barely compress it with the gun mounted yielded less felt recoil than any softer settings.

Two years later, I had a custom-fitted stock made for the gun with no recoil reduction gadgets at all. Felt recoil was much less than with the Gracoil and that gun was never a hard kicker for me. The message is that gun fit is paramount to shooting comfort. All the gadgets in the world cannot make an ill-fitting gun comfortable to shoot.

Ed

9. pakk

pakk Member

My wife went from the gracoil to the PFS. It is money well spent. Not only is the gun a much softer shooter, I was able to "properly" fit it to her. Her score and confidence has gone up a significant amount.

10. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

I'll second the bumpbuster

11. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

So given the choices and opinions, bumpbuster, gracoil, rad, precion fit stock etc. Would you all agree you like shooting with a recoil reducer apperatice as opposed to none? All have good points and bad thats why there are so many opinions,but would you say it had made shooting more enjoyable? Has it improved anyones shooting?

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Proper gunfit is the most desireable form of recoil reducer that there is, hence the reason why a PFS works so good. It not only slides, but it can be adjusted for a proper fit.

As far as the add-on recoil reducers, there are several things to look at.

1) Quality, what kind of warrenty does the manufacturer include?

2)Ease/ability of adjustment, Can the unit be easily adjusted or is it fixed?

3)Is the unit rebuildable? Can the orings be replaced or do I have to replace the whole thing once it has lost its ability to cope with the recoil?

4)How much weight will be added to the gun? If it adds a lot it will change the balance of the gun.

5)Can you adjust the LOP? Can the LOP be changed, or do I have to change pads in order to change the LOP.

6)How much travel is present? If it has a lot then you stand a chance of bruising your cheek from excessive movement across the comb.

They all require pretty much the same amount of work to install so that really isn't an issue.

The two add-on systems that I've tried and liked the outcome were the Bumpbuster and the G2 Shockmaster. I prefer the Bumpbuster as it does an equal job of redistributing the recoil, you can easily change the LOP without any other parts, 1/2 the price of a G2.

This is just one mans opinion and yours may be quite different.

ss

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I had a RAD II, but believe the adjustment process was rather tedious with the special wrench provided. Sold the gun; new one without any reducer fits fine and no recoil problems. Regards, Ed

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have a counter-coil and it certainly helps with recoil. I have not used the other systems.

15. tincanman

tincanman Member

I wouldn't say the recoil reduction has increased my scores at all but I can shoot a lot more targets with less fatigue. Less headaches, neck/shoulder stiffness at the end of the day for sure.

Just make sure as mentioned already that the stock you have fits you well. If it's an ill fit to begin with, spending money to add a Gracoil or RAD will probably not be your best choice. It's certainly cheaper than custom stock work though.

The PFS seems to be highly adjustable and might allow you to get some idea of what shape/design of custom stock that you might need after you get it dialed in.

I've shot both a Gracoil and RAD II and haven't really noticed much difference. What I have noticed though is that the recoil seems to be intensified if the stock has the butt plate shifted an inch or so downward. It seems to jump more and the recoil absorption isn't nearly as linear as when the butt plate is in line with the stock.

16. pakk

pakk Member

I believe the PFS is lifetime warranty to the original owner. From what I have read so far, PFS guys are really good about taking care of any issues. I really like how the comb does not move on your face. All of the recoil reduction is done in front of the comb.

17. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I believe my stock fits me well, its not really an issue with unbearable recoil, in fact I can run 500 or so shells a day throught it without any problem, but after shooting a gun with a gracoil on it, it was just amazing how nice and comfortable it was to shoot.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The Rad 2a is $305. PFS is about $1300. I would get the RAD, I have a RAD 2. It is hydraulic, Gracoil is just springs. The best gun fit does not eliminate recoil, the shoulder is still pounded the same.

SS, about number four, balance means absolutely nothing in the pre-mounted game of
    Trap. Put the gun on the shoulder and balance disappears.

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

I'm very pleased with Gra-Coil...so much so I have 3 of 'em.

20. cec

cec TS Member

I have a counter coil used on a MX8 Perazzi. Will sell for $195.
    If interested send me an email: staff@fieldandclays.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a test on the dead mule recoil reducer

beretta 391 recoil reducer

pfs recoil reducer

rad 2 hydraulic butt plate

rad 2a recoil reducer tests