1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil reduction question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cmmonaco78, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I had a question in regards to all of the recoil reduction gadgets I see on guns and for sale as aftermarket products. If the gun is fit right to you via a custom stock or adjustable equipment (butt Plate, Comb)and correct LOP, shouldn't there be a limited amount of felt recoil? I have no recoil reduction aftermarket products on my gun, other than the pad. I have an adjustable but plate and comb and the LOP is set up for me. I don't notice a signifagant kick nor am I ever sore at the end of the day. Sure there is some kick but nothing substantial. Thoughts?

Regards,

Christopher Monaco

2. beenerer

beenerer TS Member

Depending on the amount of boxes that you shoot at one time.Most get away without a recoil but those of us who have not so muck meat on our bones and love to blast 8-10 boxes every time we go out, it surely make life easier.

3. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I shoot at least 100 singles and 100 caps every time I go out. I'm not what you would describe as slim though.

Regards,

CM

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

How long have you been shooting like that? Usually the complaints of bothersome recoil is later on and it will, for some, lead to serious flinching at just the wrong moment. Point is many beginners succeed well and handle the recoil but it does begin to work on the average joe in time......breakemall

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

As I have aged, I have gone to lighter loads with less velocity. For Example, a 7/8 oz, load at 1185 FPS or a 1 oz. load at 1145 FPS. In addition, I lift light weights to try and keep some tone in my shoulders and upper arms, and a daily walks helps with the legs. In essence, I try to build/maintain stamina. No special recoil reduction on the gun, adjustable comb and a factory butt pad!

6. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

When young and muscular the recoil is usually not a bother but as the 50's hit you the long match starts to wear at you even though I went to the gym 3 times a week worked with weights and stretching.
    Besides sgun competition I also had SS long range rifle. I spent extra money on European gun powder to reduce the recoil but 40 t0 60 rounds a day took its toll.
    The beginning of the end is when you start looking at semi autos and start looking back at pistols again.
    Keep working out is all I can say. Lee

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Recoil is recoil, but you are right, a properly fit gun will make the effects of recoil seem less bothersome.

There are a number of ways to effectively reduce recoil.

- Lower the shot payload<br>
    - Lower the muzzle velocity<br>
    - Add weight to your gun

These are guaranteed to reduce recoil.

Many people who do not want to take the above steps have gone to recoil reduction stocks like Rad, PFS, and a number of others, with varying degrees of success. These do work to damp the recoil, and absorb some of the energy. But they're expensive.

Moving to a gas-operated semi-auto such as a Remington 1100 or 1187, or a Beretta 3XX series gun, while they don't really reduce recoil, they spread it out and move some weight around such that the felt recoil is substantially reduced.

Things like weights and springs, and mercury filled devices can help, but I believe its more attribtable to simply adding the weight of the device, rather than the internals of the mechanism.

In my opinion, lengthening forcing cones, and porting barrels, do not effectively reduce recoil.

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Flincher100 has it correct, drop the velocity and I think you should also go to a smaller load! Lots of good article's on this, and a one Tom Cerrento (spelling?)has written nicely on this subject in TrapshootingUSA magazine. Good Luck

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No you are right

I would guess upward of 90 percent of people have a gun that doesnt fit them

That doesnt mean they cant scunch around a gun to line it up

That 90 percent suffer greatly from recoil, flinch... etc

Gene

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you want to keep shooting 1 1/8th oz loads from 1250 fps down to 1100 fps have a Slick Slide or a Soft Touch put on your gun w/adj comb set up at your stock dimensions, and nothing changes except less felt recoil.

It will let you keep wood on wood shot after shot.

Once you get your stock fit to you, have one of these guys install their system
    on your gun ahd have them keep it to your dimensions.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

When your young and tough a person can shoot an ill fitting gun and heavy loads. But shooting tends to be cummative and the years add up. Then when your in the prime the mind starts to weaken. When both body and mind start to notice, all the little things will help make a difference.LOL

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Anyone notice a reduction of perceived recoil after backboring tight bores, lengthening forcing cones and/or having barrel work by Wilkinson, Allor, et al?

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

In my experience, the effects of recoil are subtle and insidious. They are cumulative and do eventually lead to problems. I am not talking about the obvious effects that are typically seen with a poor-fitting gun, such as face-slapping, cheek-bruising, shoulder-busting, body soreness, etc.

In my case, over the years, recoil has had the effect of simply causing me not to want to experience it...at all. It has taken away some of the desire for shooting 12 gauge guns with moderate loads, or even lighter loads, such as slower 1 oz. loads. I would term it "recoil fatigue". I am just tired of dealing with recoil.

I don't think I have developed a flinch (yet), but the thought of being pounded all day in a 300-target event (or even a 200-target event) has lost its appeal. And then, if you consider most trap tournaments are four day events+...

I have also been spoiled by shooting one of the best trap guns on the planet, so I really don't want to go back to a semi-auto, with hulls flying all over the place, and a mediocre trigger (yeah, I know, the triggers can be improved...).

Finding the right recoil reduction device is not easy. What works for one may not work for another. But, I suppose it is a worthwhile search.

Lately, I have been reduced to shooting .410 skeet. I think handicap trap was easier to do (maybe), but I must say that the lower report and almost zero recoil has a lot going for it.

I know what you're thinking...no, my dress sleeves don't have ruffles..

bluedsteel

14. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Forget all that crap. More pitch will put the recoil pad flat on your shoulder. Recoil goes straight back and much less jump on your face. So very simple.

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

20 years of shooting on regular stocks never bothered me. BUT, one day I tried an ISIS equipped stock, it feels great and I don't want to go back.

I still shoot with my regular stocks sometimes, but let me tell you, I'd love to have that ISIS recoil devise on all my stocks.

If I can have a comfortable chair, why sit on the floor?

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bluedsteel is right on. Then add a flinch and you will end up with a gun that is Back-bored, forcing cone lengthened, Un-gun barrel, Recoil reducer, adjustable pad, Ported, one once loads, and a Release trigger. Did I forget anything? Seems I have it all. Age hurts....................

17. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I am a big, burly young man. 300 targets does nothing to me recoil wise.

That said, I just bought a gun with a gracoil. Why? Why not!

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

slic lee, what's the story on this European gun powder that reduces recoil??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aftermarket recoil reduction

are aftermarket recoil reducing devices allowed in ata competions

does isis recoil reducer also stop face slap from shot gun

how to reduce fatigue in trapshooting

recoil of trap guns

reducing recoil in trapshooting