1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil reduction for young shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SAKO22, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAKO22

SAKO22 TS Member

I have a son that is 13 yrs. old.This year he is starting to shoot trap.I bought him a used browning bt-100 that had a counter coil reducer already installed but it was too long so i took it off and installed a 1/4 in kik-eeze pad.My question is are the counter coil or similar devices worth the effort of cutting the stock down even further to install or are the mercury reducers effective.I dont really want to cut it down any shorter but if the reducers are worth it I will cut it down.He is a big kid and can handle the rcoil with the 1oz. loads i am loading him but i want him to be as comfortable as possible to avoid him getting into any bad habits from the recoil.Also i shoot a beretta 682 gold-e unsingle and i get alot of face slap with it,what is something i can do to take this out.Sorry for the long thread but need some experienced peoples info and opinions on this subject.Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

a) A 'good-sized' 13yr-old can manage recoil pretty good, normally - just keep is count down for a while and build it up as he gets in 'shooting shape'.

b) Yes, the mercury/dead mule reducers work, but changes balance and weight can be more of a fatigue-building problem than recoil, tho they are additive. It's always a good idea to get a kid-shooter on an upper-body conditioning program.

c) If you suspect recoil is an issue, download his bullets a bit: 7/8oz of 8½ or 9s is pretty potent medicine for skeets from 16-20 yards.

d) Your face-slap ... changing stock pitch helps sometimes. Try a few thicknesses of posterboard under the heel a/o toe and see if that helps, then when you get the size right, cut the stock.

Bob

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

and/or pull your good stock & counter-coil - get one of those $100 Wenig hammer-fit twisted sister stocks ... I'm a BIG fan of them for kids.

Bob

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joel(?),

The three things that reduce felt recoil are light loads, additional gun weight and shooting a stock that fits.

Your son will do much better if his gun fits him. The right stock length is an important factor in successful shooting and a comb at the right height, even more so.

There are several causes of "cheek slap." Correcting the pitch is the most likely to help. It should be changed so the whole recoil pad makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as your gun is mounted.

More possible causes of cheek slap involve other stock dimensions and the way a gun is mounted.

Rollin

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Cast on & cast off can be a factor for face slap. Depends if you are left or right handed. Clyde

6. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

I'm 100% with Rey on this...buy a used PFS for less than $800, and your son will have a custom stock, plus effective recoil reduction for the rest of his life...not a bad investment, and if he doesn't get the bug you will only lose pennies on resale. Sometimes spending a bit more than you think you can justify turns out to be the best investment you ever made. Good luck to you both-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.