Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recoil Reducers

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian in Oregon 
#1 ·
I guess this is off-topic since it isn't political, but how about some opinions on the best/cheapest (I know, that's an oxymoron) recoil reducers?

#6 ·
I typically install a reducer in the buttstock of firearms I shoot. More for balance than recoil reduction. An eight ounce reducer works well. I prefer a shotgun balance at or near the hinge pin or trunnion.

Putting the reducer near the front of the stock bolt hole may slow the gun down. Putting it near the recoil pad may make the gun handle faster.

#8 ·
Do like hmb says!! I took the recoil pad off and placed a piece of pipe that was close to the OD of the hole in the stock that was filled with lead shot and cotton balls and replaced the pad.Try more or less lead till you get it where you want it!I used copper tube with caps on each end. PJ

#9 ·
With the loads you shoot I have to wonder if your objection to recoil is not caused by something else rather than the actual recoil of your gun.

As was mentioned, good hearing protection does wonders for reducing felt recoil. So does a good shooting form, particularly the gun mount you use and how well the dimensions of your stock fit your particular size and shape.

Different shooters experience recoil differently but I suspect that there is more to your problem than you are suspecting. The two primary determinants of recoil are the weight of the gun and the weight of the shot load accompanied by its velocity.

You shoot 3/4 ounces of shot but at what velocity? I suggest you keep it around 1100 and no more than 1150 feet per second. If that doesn't eliminate the problem, then one of the above things can be investigated.

Addding weight helps reduce felt recoil but will change the balance of your gun as was mentioned.

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.