1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Reducers, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

People, would like your opinions on recoil reducers in the stock. Whether its a "Dead Mule" or a mercury reducer, what have been you experiances? Thanks Scott

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

An in stock may reduce the felt recoild slightly but I don't think its the design of mercury in it. I think its the 8 or so ounces of weight that causes a little less recoil.

I tried a Mercury recoil reducer in a stock and then loaded 3 12 ga. hulls with lead and put them in the stock after removing the more expensive reducer and could not tell the difference.

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

So basically adding weight does the same as mercury in your experiance, anyone else? Scott

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Notice the posts on this site about the old guys dealing with torn up shoulders. Start early with good recoil reduction if you think you may like to do it into old age. I personally prefer the R.A.D set up. Bill

5. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Go for the soft touch system and never look back....it certainly makes a gun shoot soft and the comb doesnt slide on your cheek. $$$well spent.Period.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Adding weight to the gun and reducing your shot loads help a lot. I have spine issues and an artificial shoulder. I opted for the RAD II recoil reducer and it is great. I can shoot all day with full bore loads and feel none worse when I'm done.
    [​IMG]

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned a RAD I I, PFS and added mercury reducers and now own a Soft Touch. There is no recoil reducer better than the Soft Touch. They cost a lot of money but you get what you pay for. There craftsmenship is second to none. I can't believe It took me so long to have one installed. I like mine so well I honestly think shooting the gun is as close to cheating as it gets.

8. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I just sent my BT 99 stock to Rod'ds Custom Stocks for a RAD II it it the third one I've sent to him, got one for my Grandson's BT 99 and one for my XT Trap. I think they are the best. Woody Sullivan

9. MOP

MOP Active Member

G2

10. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

Don't forget to mention this website when you make a reservation for a SoftTouch installation and get a $100 discount off of the service.

Our exclusive oil filled hydraulic cylinder is 2nd to none. After 30 years of quality craftsmanship and consistent performance shooters know they can count on us. And our warranty is above reproach.

Would love to hear from all of you to answer any questions and alleviate any concerns.

Thank you to all our loyal customers who have always been our best advertising.

Beth Hulcy/ Rob Ivens
    SoftTouch Custom Stock

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Slick Slide and never look back One of the top Three. None equals it, none surpasses it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

My BT-99 Golden Clays and XT-Trap Golden Clays both have the Gracoil recoil redactor butt plate. Once you adjust the tension on Gracoil for your load, then the gun acts like a Howitzer and felt recoil is minimized to very tolerable levels even with 3 Dram+ handicap loads.

The Gracoil system appears problem free. I just occasionally clean the rods and lube them once a year at the end of the shooting season.

13. romie

romie Active Member

I have soft touch It helps for sure

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Don't forget about PFS. It is less expensive than the soft touch but does not look as good. An advantage is it is less expensive to move it to another gun.

15. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

Harland Campbell uses 2 mercury recoil reducers in his stock. Any arguments with his shooting success?

16. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

I am just in the process of finishing up a soft shooter. I am having neck and shoulder problems. I bought a remington 1100 and had a slide system put on I was told that it could not be done but a system was built by a friend. No recoil.I am in the process of getting the gun to shoot where I want holding a high gun. Taller rib fixed that part. I know most shooters want a break open gun but if I want to keep shooting I knew I would have to go to an Autoloader. Bill

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I for one feel that the mercury units work very well at reducing felt recoil. The heavy mercury sloshing from back to front work just like one of those Snap-On "Dead Blow" hammers. You can whack a chunk of metal and the damn things have no recoil (bounce) back.

18. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Go with Gracoil. Cannot fail. I had several Hydocoils and they work well, they rebuild them if they fail, but none of that eliminates the hassel.

RW

19. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Harland Campbell uses 2 mercury recoil reducers in his stock. Any arguments with his shooting success?

NONE all someone needs to do is pack on another 200 pounds like Harland and you don't need any reducers. Create a website to show how big guys suck up the recoil.

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I'm using an Edwards Recoil Reducer mounted in my bolt hole in my stock. Works fine for me. BT100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.