1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil reducers...need opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

After shoulder surgery I am quite sensitive to recoil and need to put reducers on 3 very nice trap guns. I have read about numerous models but need the opinions of you who are actually using them. Gracoil, RAD, RAD II etc. What are your personal experiences and what would you recommend?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Money aside ( I too am looking into reducer ) Everyone I have talked to about the PFS stock system loves them. I shot A beretta O/U with one and it was smooth. A few minor adjustments and was shooting great. I have decided on Ken Ruckers Bumpbuster of speedbumpgunworks. If I can put my gun down long enough to send it out. PFS stocks are currently not making a left hand model for my XT yet.

3. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I too am a left handed shooter. The PFS systems are effective for those who use them. I will be doing some serious spending before next spring.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

pfs all the way. The single best investment so far in my shooting career (i even put it ahead of my kolar, b/c I think I could put a PFS on any roughly similar gun and shoot it as well now that i know what gunfit and zero recoil is).

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

another vote for the PFS. My 14 yr old son was shooting a LOT of rounds. We added a Gracoil to his gun. That unit did a good job of reducing recoil but nothing like the PFS. He just changed over to a new gun and given that he is growing like a weed we decided to put a PFS on this one to help deal with the constant adjsutments we need to make to the stock. His shooting instructor shoots a MX8 with a PFS on it and my son loves shooting that gun so when we got the new gun (MX3) we did not hesitate to put a PFS on it. Extremely easy to setup. Within a couple of rounds my son was back crushing birds and with ONE WEEK under his belt with the new gun is shooting better than ever. I had not shot a PFS before so today I tried it.

WOW!

NO recoil. None, nada, zip. I STILL needed to be convined about the effectiveness of the PFS even after shooting it myself so an older gentleman from our club was out there today and I asked him to shoot it, he is recoil sensitive and suffers from shoulder pain. He put 3 rounds down it and couldn't believe how well it shot and how good the PFS performed.

How to make a great gun better?

Add a PFS.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I had a RADII on a Guerini Sport that kicked like a mule. It didn't help that much. Sold it. The PFS on my P-gun works great, and they are not hard to set up like some posters claim.

7. JCS

JCS TS Member

I had the Gracoil put on my new K-80 a few years ago and am very happy with it .It works great , and no problems .

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Longhorn, if your three guns are substantially similar in their stock requirements, consider buying one Precision Fit stock and grip for the remaining two guns. Your can easily change the recoil unit from one to another. Loosen one screw and the entire metal portion of the stock is removed. Removing and fastening to another gun with the grip portion already installed should take all of 45 seconds. Also, consider upgrading to the Ultimate Fit Comb.

The amount of recoil reduction the PFS offers is quite surprising. The setting it leaves the factory with makes it very difficult to tell the difference between 7/8oz and 1 1/8oz loads. The most noticeable difference is in how far the recoil unit compresses. Recoil from any load, even Nitro 27s "feels" less than shooting 7/8oz loads in my gun with the wood stock.

Dixie is correct about the movement of the upper assembly. There is some. It is annoying at first, because it makes you think something is loose. There isn't, and it doesn't affect anything. Even so, I wish it were rock solid.

I bought mine directly from Vern at Apogee Ordinance. He sells it with a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. I sent mine back because I could not get enough offset with it. If I could, I'd definitely have kept it.

9. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Longhorn - there are lots of good words on here about the PFS - I have not shot one - would like to try one day: I have not had a shoulder operation - I have bone spurs and ol'authur sorta real bad in my left shoulder and not as bad in my right - I shoot left handed --- I have a RADII installed by Greg Hissem.......works great for me --- could not consider shooting a gun without one on it --- maybe one day I will try the PFS system - I hear it is light.

10. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

The best recoil reducer I know of is a Beretta 391 with a pound or so of weight added.

With 2-3/4 dram loads its like shooting a 28 gauge. With 3 dram loads its like a 20 gauge.

Hubcap

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My P-gun with a G-squared shockmaster feels like a .22. Jake

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I went the other way and shoot 7/8 oz loads at everything but caps, use one ouncers at 25 yards. I am old and do not like recoil either!

13. capman

capman TS Member

I have a Graycoil on one of my guns and still can only shoot 3/4 and 7/8 loads due to 3 ruptured discs. I shot a PFS last weekend and loved it with 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads. I have now bought and installed one on my Beretta 687 Unsingle. I shot international loads today without any problems. Will have this stock with any gun I shot. Greatest invention since the wheel.

14. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

I was sitting and talking to Ken Rucker about his Bump Buster at the World Skeet Shoot yesterday and while sitting there, one of his customers came in and stated he just shot with his 12ga and it felt like he was using his 28ga. I would say that is pretty good recoil reduction. He brought his buddy over to have one put on his K80. I would give Ken a call.

Chad

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have a PFS and could not be happier with it. I went that direction for ultimate flexibility getting a great gun fit, but the neat extra feature was virtually zero recoil.

That said, I would give serious consideration to the new Bump Buster that Ken Rucker has is gun fit is good now. I think somewhere I saw it could be powder coated, which would be a must for me if available. Just from what I have read, previous opinions of posters on his work, and technology from his real world experience, I would give it a whirl without hesitation.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes Ken is now powder coating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.