1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Reducer opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I was just wondering what you all think about the different recoil reducers? What do you all like, Kick-EEZ, Dead Mule, Gooey Pads, or ???? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

anybody else?

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Aside from a good pad, like a Kick-Eez, I'd pour lead shot into the stock's bolt hole.

Reducing felt recoil is really a function of mass, the more mass, the less felt recoil.

We've had this discussion many, many times in the past, and, in fact, I had several pictures of disassembled recoil reducers to show folks they are really a joke other than weight.

Reducers are like politics, others will swear by them, but little empirical proof in their claims.

Whiz

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

IMO, the most effective recoil reducer is a stock that fits you well.

John C. Saubak

5. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I just had a RAD II put on my son's gun and he loves it. Kick EZZ pad with it.

Corey

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

When I decided I needed to reduce my recoil there is not a single pad that would have been enough for me. I now have a Gracoil with a kick-eze. I can shoot until my arms get tired of holding the gun. Rad systems are also terrific, maybe better by some accounts, but that is what I would do. Shooting 1 oz loads helps also.

all the best,

john

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

686, I think Whiz and Old Cowboy nailed it. If you want a wood stock, get one made that fits you perfectly (and allows you to shoot where you look), put a thick KickEeze pad on it and shoot in a T-shirt or some other non padded apparel.

When I say...'get one made' I mean just that. I definitely do not mean add an adjustable comb, butt plate, etc., or Rad to your existing stock. I spent an embarrassing amount of money on that approach. It was wasted. The adjustable comb and butt plate are only useful to make a minor tweak to a stock that ALREADY fits. When you see someone with their comb all the way over, or the pad shifted way down you can be assured their stocks do not fit them.

Once I had my stock made I no longer needed to shoot wearing a vest with gel pack, or a padded shooting shirt. They all seemed to increase recoil now that the gun fit.

If you decide you want to try something more elaborate then a new pad, but don't want to get a new stock, I would not recommend the Gracoil or Rad. I'd go with the Precision Fit Stock. Then you kill two birds with one stone. You adjust the stock to fit you perfectly, then dial in the amount of recoil reduction you want.

8. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Check with Ken Rucker at Speed Bump Stockworks. He has just released a new recoil reducer that combines the best of everything. His work is beautiful and he's a great guy to work with. He did a Rad 2 for me, but all future guns will get the "Bump Buster." Bob Ramsden - Dallas, TX

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

RAD system is the best and they are adjustable as well. Richard

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PFS, the ony way to go.

11. mt

mt Member

whiz, do you still have the photos that show the different recoil reducers and their content...i'd sure appreciate it. thanks m.tenenhaus@sbcglobal.net

12. teleskier

teleskier Member

Just call Ken Rucker at speedbump stockworks in Texas.

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Sir Izzak wake up I think we need you again. D Winter

14. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

PFS all the way! Matt

15. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

A stock that fits you made of wood or a PFS. Todd

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

686Beretta;

Is recoil causing problems for you? If so, can you describe, as closely as possible, what aspects of recoil are most bothersome?

It is possible that you are more sensitive to recoil than the average shooter. If this is the case, a telescoping recoil-absorbing mechanism might be the best thing.

If you are punished by recoil to your face or shoulder, other things not involving heightened recoil sensitivity could be causing it, some very easily corrected.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.