1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil reducer for mod 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I was reading about the Mercury recoil reducer and had a question that you fellows may be able to help answer. They say in the ad it is easy to install and fits into the hole in the butt stock. Are they easy to install and is that the most efficient way to reduce the recoil with out some other elaborate system. One of my mod 12s had it when I purchased the gun and I like the way it works and was thinking of adding one to one of my other mod 12s.

2. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

If you 're going to add one make sure its the 4inch one Unless you have a 15lop stock. When I first started out I got the wrong one ....Chuck

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The best recoil reducer for a model 12 is to sell it! The second best way is to weight it down. A recoil reducer in the stock and one in the magazine tube.

ec90t

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

The mercury reducers are very easy to install. Someone will surely come along and tell you that just adding some lead weight will have the same effect. I don't know, I do think the mercury reducer does have some added benefit. Besides they're fairly inexpensive, weigh about 8 ounces and are generally about 3.5 inches long. The bolt hole of the Model 12 is fairly deep and the additional weight does not upset the balance of the gun.
    Installation is very easy. Take off the recoil pad. Wrap the end of the reducer with some masking tape to get a fit that's just tight enough so it won't move around in the bolt hole. Cut a wood dowel to take up the space between the reducer and the recoil pad. Also wrap the end of the dowel so its snug in the bolt hole and cut it so its just slightly longer than the end of the butt stock and rests agains the base of the recoil pad. Put the recoil pad back on and you're done. Go shoot and decide if it has helped. Good luck.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Is it the recoil to your shoulder or face that bothers you?

Rollin

6. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I have a 1974 Y model 12 with a monte-carlo stock that used to bite my cheek a bit,so I changed the pitch of the stock(cut about 1/4 inch at the bottom and tapered to the top leaving the top alone.I also added a 3/8 keen rib that added a little weight without affecting the balance of the gun.(I have adj. comb).I would try to make it fit ,because I have never shot any other gun better than my 12 and you might not either.

joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil reducer for model 12