1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Reducer - Do or Not Do

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pendennis, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Before getting into the next season, I'm giving some thought to having a recoil reducer added to my gun. Here are the specs:

Remington 90T
    34" bbl, Magnaported, full choke
    Adjustable comb monte carlo stock
    Weight - 10lb 1oz

The gun shoots very well, and recoil seems fairly low relative to BT-99's, Perazzi (I owned a Perazzi MT-6 and a BT-99 Plus earlier this year), etc. My first inclination is to add a Gracoil, RAD, etc., with length-of-pull adjustment. However, considering the weight of the gun at over 10lbs, I'm curious as to the advantage of adding one of these systems. I'll probably have an inch taken off the stock before anything is added. I'd also like to have an adjuster which lowers the recoil pad relative to the comb.

Would adding a recoil reducer, even cutting an inch off the stock, result in the weight of the gun increasing significantly? I realize each gun is different, but I'm dealing in theory now, before I go to the stock fitter. I'd hate to have to tote around the equivalent of a punt gun in the June/July/August heat waves.

Please let me know your experiences, good/bad/indifference, emotional outbursts, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Dennis

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dennis , considering the same for my K-80 (I have shoulder problems). I have been putting it off, as I can't decide what system to use. Rad, Gracoil, Bumpbuster? I hear the Bumpbuster is lighter, and works well, but would like to shoot one before I cut my custom stock, and don't want to create a "stock heavy" feeling. Let me know what you decide.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My wood is custom, fitted, and very tolerable. It can be even better with a
    recoil reduction system. Why not eliminate as much as possible?

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

DA, what about a stocks that fits AND uses the weight of the gun to diminish the felt effects of recoil? If I had to continue using a conventional stock, fitted even, I'd have to give up shooting if not for my sliding comb trap guns. That sir, makes it all good for me. Your statement may hold true for the some, not all. Even Leo Harrison uses one too!

Ken Rucker is about ready to put together one of the slickest operating sliding comb stocks to be had here shortly! One of those for me will allow me to compete a little longer in the game while allowing me to be somewhat competitive. Hap

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

More weight = less recoil. I too have a 90-T and I did put a reducer in the stock. I think I used a "dead mule" reducer. It weights 10&1/4 lb. total.

6. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I myself, think that gun fit will cure most problems with recoil. When a gun doesnt fit me, I feel plenty of recoil. When it is adjusted right, or the stock is fitted to me, I dont feel hardly anything. I would not have believed it to be true, but after switching from a Browning Plus gun, to my present Ljutic, with the stock to my dimensions, I cant feel any difference in recoil. And the gun just plain looks better without any mechanics on the butt. Steve

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Feeling recoil and the presents of recoil are two different things. Recoil is always present and anything you do to reduce it is in my mind a plus.

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

To your question of weight gain, the answer is it will increase the weight, and therefore the balance, some, depending on the system. I agree with Hap that Ken Rucker's new system might be "it." I'd advise calling Ken, and Greg Hissem, & discussing the weight & balance issues. Removal of an inch of wood will help offset the balance & weight issues some, only you can say if you'd be satisfied. The RAD-1 weighs some 6 oz, the RAD-2 some 8-oz. I like them and have both, and to me they are the cat's meow as recoil reducers, but do cause weight & balance issues. In my case they necessitated adding barrel weights. I don't have a PFS, but have used them and feel they're the ultimate. Phil E

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a pic!

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=DSCN0105.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Plus, I started a new thread for others to see in case they don't open this one! Hap

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Had a Soft-Touch(s) installed on my 90Ts and it's made a tremendous difference for me. So much so that when I bought a 682 that's the first thing I had done. By the way, I still have a low rib 90T with Soft Touch and Kolar release if anyone is interested. E-mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you need a sliding comb on recoil reducer