1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Reducer Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Today I shot a Beretta 682 with a Gracoil. As far as I am concerned the Gracoil reduced the recoil no differently than the 8 oz. of lead I have on the stock and the barrel of my Beretta 682. I'm still wanting to get rid of the weight and have a reducer installed that will lessen the recoil. I am considering the Rad, the Bumpbuster and the Slick Slide. (Which was formerly the Clyde Slide). I do not want anything that compares to the Gracoil. I compared the Gracoil in identical guns. (My gun had 8 oz. of lead added to the gun and the other had the Gracoil) No difference in my opinion. I can't see paying that kind of money for little or no benefit. Anyone out there have advice as to what I should consider? Thanks a lot. Ed

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Ed,

There are a couple of other considerations. Why do you need the recoil reduced...flinch, pain, etc. Your age and how much shooting you want to do are also critical. I have been up the chain. Gracoil, Rad, added weight, etc...Invest now in a PFS and be done with it. You will get a great fit and recoil reduction that you will not believe. There are plenty of used units available. So, while the RAD may be $425. and the Slick Slide $375. A used PFS for $650 or so will give you a much greater sense of accomplishment. IMHO.

JON

3. Snooky

Snooky Member

I've had a gra-coil on a k80, soft touch on a 391, g-square on a browning 425 (a very good unit), and I presently have a clyde slide on a Perazzi mx-12. For dollar value and excellent recoil reduction, the clyde slide all the way. I have a friend that has a titanium soft touch on a Blaser F3 and he loves it. I guess to each his own, but I have been extremely satisfied with the G-square and the Clyde Slyde.

Snooky

4. esoxhunter

From what I was told Gracoil installed a Kickeez pad when the unit was installed. I was using the same shells I always use. ( 1 oz - 17.5 grains Promo) To me there was absolutely no difference in recoil reduction when I compared the Gracoil against the 8 oz. of lead that I have in my gun. I have given a lot of consideration to the Slick Slide. I just didn't want to "butcher up" the stock on my Beretta. I was hoping the Rad or Bumpbuster would mirror the soft touch or slick slide unit. The PFS unit is great; but I just don't like the cosmetics of it or the price. Maybe I should just "live" with the added weight that I have now. I am 65 years old now and am starting to notice the recoil. Ed

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Did you adjust the gracoil for your particular gun mount? If you just started shooting a buddy's gun and did not adjust it, there is a chance the recoil reduction would be zero.

6. esoxhunter

No I didn't adjust anything; as it was his gun. I did however ask him if he set the Gracoil. He said he just left it as it came from Gracoil, who installed the unit.

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

To maximize the recoil reduction the unit must be adjusted to each individual shooter. Some hold the gun loosely, some really tight. You don't want any compression when you mount the gun. You want to set it right on the edge of compression. This will take a little time since you have to take the buttplate (not pad) off each time to make an adjustment. I tightened it in 1/4 turn increments until I found the "break point" of compression.

Here is my Beretta. I don't think it looks butchered at all. Every gun I shoot will have a gracoil on it. Watch someone shoot with one properly adjusted. It's surprising how much they move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. esoxhunter

I guess when I mentioned "butchered" it pertained more toward the Soft Touch and/or Clyde Slide system. To utilize these systems the comb has to be separated from the stock to allow it to move; unlike the Rad, Gracoil, Bumpbuster system. I understand the Gracoil was probably not set correctly; but it was a disappointment to me that it failed to alleviate the recoil as I expected it to. Ed

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed,

If you get to sample one of Ken's Bumpbusters all your questions will be answered. Very impressive unit and is LOP adjustable.

ss

10. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

If it hasn't been adjusted from the factory it is either as light, which would cause it to bottom out, or as heavy as it will go. Either way it is doing very little, if any to reduce recoil. Mine really works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gracoil
gracoil recoil

gracoil recoil reducer

gracoil recoil reducer review

gracoil recoil reducer reviews

gracoil review
gracoil reviews
slick slide recoil system