1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RECOIL QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,m shooting a gun that is 8lb. 14oz. in weight and a LOP of 14-1/2 . I added a pad Ajuster and to keep the LOP I went to a 3/4 inch pad in place of the 1 inch pad as not to cut the wood . This gun fits fair and I shoot it well but recoil is to much with handicap loads . I shoot the cheap shells for singles 3dr. 1200 fps fine but last winter bought some Winchester Super Heavy Handicap at a good price . By the time my eyes refocus from the first shot it,s time to shoot again (holy cow). Would cutting the stock and going back to a 1 inch pad help any or is the winchester shell just to much . Also I,m not going to add weight to the gun or any recoil stuff to the stock .

ALF

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

The thicker pad would help but those Winchesters are pretty stout. If the 1200 fps loads don't bother you then that's what I would shoot for hadicap. They are cetainly adequate for handicap.

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

use a thicker pad in your shooting vest or coat

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Just add some lead to the stock bolt hole and shoot 1oz loads. My gun is almost 10 pounds and with 1200 fps 1oz loads I can shoot all day without feeling pounded.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

otnot Very nice . I stated I did not like the idea of adding weight also I have a bunch of these shells (Win Super Handicap) . Your gun is to heavy for me and 1oz. loads are not for shooting Registerd Trap .

But I do Thank You ALF

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ALF-99, other than take Jim's suggestions to weight your gun or switch to a lighter load. Take some pain killers or, trade for some loads you feel comfortable with? A light gun with heavy loads don't mix well no matter how you cut it? Hap

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ditto on trading the loads! Find a shell you can shoot and sell the super handycaps.
    Joe

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well Alf, I shoot a bit of registered targets 7,500 so far this year. I only shoot 1oz loads for singles and doubles. I do shoot 3dram loads for handicap.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have tryed to sell the shells but no one will buy them unless I give them away . As for pain killers I use them now just to standup and shoot .

Otnot It,s no wonder you like heavy loads you don,t shoot much . (only kidding) .

The real question I had is if a 1 inch recoil pad is THAT much better then a 3/4 inch pad . I have 14 flats of the Super Handicaps and need to shoot them .

ALF

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

ALF,

Assuming that your gun fits you well (and that's only an assumption) and you don't want to add weight to your gun, you might want to consider buying books on eliminating a flinch. One is on the way and when it arrives in all its glory, it may not disappear even when you switch to 3-dram or lighter shells.

A thicker recoil pad is likely to help a little but only a little, probably not as much as you would like or need. The shells are probably and simply too heavy for the weight of the gun.

My suggestion would be to consider dumping the heavy shells for whatever you can get for them and save the shooting success you have enjoyed with lighter shells.

Rollin

11. dzeh

dzeh Member

Trade them. I'm sure you should be able to find someone willing to swap. You might have to take a cheaper shell in the trade but I'd take that before I submitted my shoulder to all that abuse.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

ROLLIN Just how did we get to flinching ? I don,t flinch anymore been shooting a release trigger for years . The heavy shell make my shoulder sore after shooting 50 or 75 thats all . Four years ago I had both shoulders rebuilt so now they are a little tender . I have found that now after the shoulder re-do I no longer can get a 10-lb. plus gun up 100 times with out getting real tired and scores go down .

ALF

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF- I would be pleased to trade you any other new AA load for the Super Handicap loads. I know I don't really need them, but I use a lot of them anyway. Ant chance you will be at the Southern Zone in NC next week? Geography might be a problem with my offer.

Pat Ireland

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Pat & AJ That is the problem . I,m not going to the Grand but Ohio the week after . I can shoot the shells I just get sore about half way and it shows.

I tryed putting some weight in the gun and it did,t work for me . I may just shoot some lite stuff for the first 50 and the heavy handicaps for the last 50 and use them up .

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Don't shoot them. Trade them it doesn't matter what you get but I would think you should find some one willing to pay a fair price for them. Save them for the winter when your wearing an extra 1/2 inch of clothing. Don't shoot them they will effect your shooting.
    Joe

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Alf, I sent you a PM. You may also consider trading them for new shells at Marengo. I would think some of the shell vendors will trade straight up or close since their new.

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

ALF.

I again agree with Joe.

You may not be flinching now but as Joe said, the recoil has to be affecting your shooting. Recoil is cumulitive - you WILL flinch eventuallly using the heavy shells.

Rollin

18. thunder

thunder Active Member

Alf, I had the same problem that you have. I went to a PFS stock and never looked back, the only way I am shooting today.

Andy

19. otnot

otnot Active Member

Alf I would just save them for handicap only. If you got a good buy on them they might last you a couple of years. I'm telling you it's not worth catching a flinch from shooting them. One ounce loads will seem like shooting a .22 after those 3 dram loads. The worst thing you can do to yourself is to beat yourself up while shooting. I used to think that 1oz loads were too light, but there is about the same number of #8 shot in a 1oz load as there are 7.5 shot in a 1 1/8th load. And they kick a lot less.

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Thanks I got three flats traded for Win AA lite handicaps . I will like them alot better . I shot hundred of the heavy Handicaps Sunday and I,m still sore .

ALF-99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.