1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KL, Jun 23, 2013.

1. KL

KL TS Member

Trying to resolve a recoil problem with a 12 year old grandson. Found a AA 12 gauge shell with 26 gram powder & #8 shot. What does that convert to in dram? What would the oz of shot probably be? This info no provided on box and vendor did not know.I understand it will be slow(980FPS).

2. kcp99

kcp99 Member

I tried some of these Winchester low recoil low noise shells for 16 yard targets and loved them . broke targets great and were very pleasant to shoot through my model 12 . wish I had a few more flats of them to use . K.C.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Another real good shell for recoil sensitive shooters are the 12ga. Nobel Sport LR1 or Low Recoil 1oz. We use them alot with certain members of our High School Trap Team.
    [​IMG]

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The link above is an easy to use recoil calculator. I load 3/4 oz 12 gauge shells using the Claybuster 3/4 oz 12 gauge wad. With a little velocity, they will cycle most Semi-autos and are still very soft shooting. Great shell for new shooters and youngsters. Mark

5. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Keller said:

"If you reload, Hodgdon has data for them in their on-line data base. When you are entering the parameters for your data in the chart, select "**26 gr." as shot weight and the database will automatically select the AA hull and WAALite powder. You will have to find a way to modify a 1 oz. shot bush to drop .92 oz of shot."

Maybe not...when I was weighing powder, being worried about lack of uniformity of powder drop with 700X; I also weighed a number of shot drops from my MEC "1 oz." bar. Using 7-1/2 hard shot, the average drop was 0.93 oz. Close enough? -Ed

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dram measurements are for black powder, and have no relevance to smokeless powder. Dram is a holdover from yesteryear.