1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil problem fix?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Someone suggessed ear muffs to assist with less recoil in another thread. For 30 years I've always used moulded ear plugs. Well, even old dogs can learn new tricks. Based on that thread, yesterday I purchased a set of the Browning behind the ear style muffs ($19.00), and used them in conjunction with my regular plugs. They made a real differance. I stayed on the gun much better after the shot. Maybe because of less noise? I don't know. But the gun didn't feel as though it had as much recoil. Does noise in some way make one want to pull his face away from the the orgin of the noise? Maybe it not so much the kick of the gun, but the noise at the end of the barrel making one pull their face away (uncontrolable)? Has anyone ever done any reserch on this issue?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have not done any research, but when I know im shooting more than 100 shots I where both plugs and muffs. I do not get any discomfort when doing so.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The head moving off the stock is a flinch, albeit the best type of flinch but a flinch nevertheless. It would be impossible to determine if it is caused by recoil or noise. Most likely it is a combination of the two.

Virtually all shooters would agree that guns have less felt recoil when good hearing protection is worn. You discovered how much better ear plugs are when coupled with muffs. To my knowledge, no research has been conducted in an attempt to determine just how much relt recoil is reduced with either plugs or muffs because felt recoil is virtually impossible to quantify accurately.

As an aside, muffs are most effective when worn with short hair and glasses with thin or fine bows. Thick hair and thick bows allow sound to leak inside the muffs, reducing their effectiveness.

Rollin

4. dzneff

dzneff Member

In over 40 years of trap and pistol shooting, I have tried many types of ear protection, plugs, muffs, electronic muffs, etc. The most effective hearing protection I have found is the "Sensgard ZEM hearing protection. They are rated 26 db, but are better in noise reduction than any other units I have used; better than units rated 29 db or greater. They are noninvasive, much better and handier than muffs. I bought mine from NRA, but they are also available from Shootin' Accessories, LTD., custsrv@shotgunsportsmagazine.com. Be sure to order extra replacement cuffs (foam hollow cylinders), because they should be replaced every few months to maintain their effectiveness.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.