1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil pad slick ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Twinbirds, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

recoil pad on a Kolar is very slick and wants to slide around alot. Does anyone know of an easy cure that won't be messy? pad has hole in middle but appears to be a decelerator pad? Thanks in advance

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Get some rosin at a sporting goods store. That will help - though it sounds like you really ought to get a new pad.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

didn't know what was beneath the surface. I guess a gentle roughen up will help for now. I know it needs replaced, but won't be anywhere to get it done right away.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

RTV silicone. Smear it on with your fingers, let it harden, and you're good to go.

5. goldwater64

goldwater64 TS Member

i have had similar issues over the years with all kinds of pads.

what i have found that works for me is a spray can baseball players use that simulates pine tar (but it's not) wont come off on hands or clothes...but is tacky enough not to let it slip on your shoulder.

dicks sporting goods is where i found it.

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Go to a hardware store and get a strip of adhesive stair tread material, made by 3M. Cut it to fit your butt plate/recoil pad, then heat it with a hair dryer as you apply it. The gun stays put, and the material won't tear up your shooting vest. No mess, either.

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

this works for me, wet a clean cloth with std. rubbing alcohol, wioe pad down well, let dry, good to go. incinerate em!

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

great guys lots of good ideals thanks so very much!!

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I occasionally have the opposite problem. I'll mount the gun and it feels like it's planted just a little low (rarely would it be too high). I remount the gun, as it never feels right if I try to just slide it up a bit.

10. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

At the segestion of a golfer, that says some golfers use on the grips of clubs.

Wet a wash cloth, rag, then get a good amout of Comet Cleanser, or similar stuff on the cloth and rub hard.. Sounds odd but I have done it and it does work.

Gary S.

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jimminy christmas just buy a new one for god's sake.

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Simple Green on my golf grips, and it restores the tackiness. That and rough it up a little with a rasp to take the glaze off. Mark

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Shooter R

If you're havong trouble with an inconsistent mount, Rollin Oswald ("Stockfitting Secrets")suggests you try raising your (trigger hand) elbow just a little. It will make the "pocket" in your shoulder more defined and lead to more consistent mounts. This really helped me - as far as I'm concerned, this tip paid for his book. Good luck.

14. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Rubbing alcohol will work and very easy to rub on and off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.