1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Pad selection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 47bt99, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

I have A Citori XT combo with a Kick Eez Trap 400 series pad that has a tendency to dig into my shoulder especially at the toe. It does not seem to have full contact with my shoulder pocket. Has anyone had experience with the Kick Eez Rocker 600 series pad correcting this problem? Also does this style pad make it harder to mount the gun consistently in the same position?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The Rocker pad fits into the pocket of your shoulder, which for most people, is at an angle. For many, this causes the gun to cant inward slightly. If you use an adjustable pad device such as the Jones or 100 Straight, you can fine tune the pad for a perfect fit. I get a very consistent fit with the Rocker, but I prefer the Pachmayr XLT pads for Trap. HTH

AndyH ;-)

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

There is a new pad out there, I don't know if Kick-Eez makes it or not, but it has no heel or toe. Both are rounded, so the pad instead of having a center that recedes from the heal and toe, sticks out past both. Perhaps someone else reading this will know the name or maker.

4. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

you need the pitch changed. Jones adapters are great for toe out.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The rocker type pads work well. A consistent gun mount is primarily up to you, not the pad.

sptnclays- Pitch ? I don't understand. Toe in or out is not related to pitch.

Pat Ireland

6. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I think the pad Rick is talking about is a Kick-Eez
    modified trap pad.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob..... The series 400 Modified Trap pad is about as good as it gets when it comes to recoil pads. I have them on all my guns. It sounds like you need a pad adjuster installed on your stock so you can adjust the pad to fit your shoulder pocket correctly. For a consistant mount, every time, the series 400 Kick-eez, with a pad adjuster, is at the top of my list every time.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

Thanks guys for your help. I should have mentioned that I weight 120 pounds and have no excess padding and a small shoulder pocket. I have shot a gun with a pad adjuster only to produce extreme cant where I had none before. I was told that skinny people should not rotate the pad for this reason. I shoot in the summer with only a t-shirt and the mark on the shoulder is only of half the pad closest to the center of my body. I am thinking of trying the modified trap pad to get rid of the toe poking me and maybe the pad will engaged more of the shoulder. If that does not work I could try shortening the length of pull with a pad 3/16” shorter.

Bob

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I had the same trouble with a marked up shoulder. Try a T-shirt with the cotton insert in the shoulder. Bob Allen makes them.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I too am a fan of the Kickeze "Modified Trap Pad". And even when I install another model, I grind off the toe some so as not to caus abrasion in my far right shoulder area. I recently ground off a Pachmayr XLT Trap to look somewhat like a Modified Trap Pad ala Kickeze.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yep have some of the toe ground off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.