1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil pad question???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I recently switched from a recoil pad that was flat to one that is slightly concave but the same thickness. Ever since I made the switch, my scores have dropped signifigantly. Unfortunately, I can not go back to my old pad since I had to have the holes redrilled. What are some common problems that people run into when switching pads?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

That alone should not have "dropped" your scores ? I would look back to the basics and see if you changed anything else.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you changed nothing else except the pad, you have changed your LOP (length of pull). How "slight" is the concave of the new pad? You may have shortend your LOP by as much as 3/8", and that is significant. You may have to add a spacer to your pad to return it to where it was.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've been through that. Most likely, your POI has changed, meaning the gun is shooting higher. Shorter stock, gun shoots higher, longer stock, gun shoots flatter. At least that was my experience. Measure the LOP and make sure it is the same. You also may be in a different place on the stock, meaning your face position. If the gun seems to short, use a spacer. Several companies make spacers in black plastic. Start with .125 using the same pitch. Also, the pitch may have changed which can change your POI. It could take some time checking all possibilities. Hope this helps, Roy

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

My first thought is that the different feel of the new pad has resulted in a mental problem that is causing difficulty. Simply losing confidence in part of the gun can be a real problem. If the pads are the same thickness, I don't see how the LOP could have changed. And, I doubt that a small change in LOP would change the POI of the gun.

Also, it is very simple to plug screw holes in the butt and put your old pad back on. Some dowel rod and a small dab of glue will work fine. A wood pencil and a pocket knife can also be used to do a rather nice job plugging an old hole.

Pat Ireland

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Here is a link to a picture of the pad that I have. The pad is just barely skinnier in the concave part than my old one.

Roy, what you described seems to be exactly what is happening to me, whenever I shoot with the new pad it seems like the gun is shooting much higher than it did before. I may have to try out a spacer.

7. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

JBMOU, the other thing I found was curved pads fit no one. Krieghoff sends a 16k gun with a curved pad, why. Most everyone changes them to their preference. I never understood this. If someone wants a curved pad, change it from flat. I know of no other co. that sends a curved pad. I have owned 3 Krieghoff's, changed then all to flat or now, the Trap Dude, shaped like the Kick-Eez. These are the best I have shot. Everyone has their own idea about what pad they should shoot, which is fine. I realize the Trap Dude pads wear faster, makes no difference to me, if I can't afford a 40 dollar pad, I am in the wrong sport. It is still better than owning a boat or Country Club membership. just my opinion, thanks, Roy

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i recently had this happen to me. i took off a flat pad and replaced it with a red remington 870 trap pad. had the same lop. but saw a different sight picture when mounting the gun. i started shooting over the targets. i put my old flat pad on the gun, patterned it, then i put the red pad back on and patterned that. my old flat pad shot 3 inches lower than the red rem pad. the red pad has a toe at the base of the pad, it made my gun have less down pitch, resulting it changed my sight picture. sounds wierd but that is what happened. if you can buy a new pad like your old pad, do so. your scores will probably go back where they use to be. i have patternd a lot of barrels. it doesn't take much to change your poi. i have learned the hard way, leave things alone, once you start smoking targets. wish i could follow my own advice. shooters are known to try anything possible to possibly hit 1 more target.
    good luck,
    steve balistreri

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

jbmOU - As others have mentioned, you may have a POI change. The curved butt pad may not fit into your shoulder socket the same way the flat pad did. It won't take much to change the fit, and you may not have noticed. The new pad may also "grab" a bit more, and you might not bet getting the gun to "slide" into its final shoulder position.

Senior Smoke has some great advice.

Best,
    Dennis

10. washandwear

washandwear Member

POI Vs Recoil Pad Type!!!!

Scary to think each time you mount the gun into the
    shoulder pocket that if you don't get it just right your
    POI may change......

Lucky just to break a target let alone 100 straight.

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for all the help. I think the problem is that the pad is curved and is changing the POI. I will try out a different pad, maybe a gooey pad, and see what happens. Its pretty frustrating to go from shooting 24's and 25's to breaking 20's and 21's.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Go get your gun and properly mount the gun in front of a mirror. Now do that 100 more times and realize that the problem is nothing more than in the head of the person in the mirror ... it aint the gun.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I just do noy liked curved pads, dont even try to shoot with one. like flat well rounded heel and toe. just me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flat vs concave recoil pad