1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Pad Position Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

So whats the best? How many of you shoot with the recoil pad just as it came on the gun, straight up and down? Is there any advantage to canting the top of the pad left or right to better fit in the shoulder area? Flat pad or curved?
    I'm having a heck of a time getting comfortable with a Ljutic I just bought. Thoughts? Gary L.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Gary If your having a problem getting comfortable with it it don,t fit you . Find a shooter that has a butt plate that is adjustable and ask to try it . Mount and see .

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary..... Each of us have a different "sweet spot" in our shoulder where the gun feels the best. This is why the pad adjuster is such a popular addition to your gun. I'm left handed and find that I am most comfortable with the pad rotated to the right a pretty good bit, and a little lower than a stock pad. By doing this, the pad just naturally goes to my shoulder pocket easily and is much more comfortable to shoot. Experiment with the pad, if you have and adjustable unit, and find what is the most comfortable for you... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- Your Ljutic is a fine shotgun but it sound as if it needs a little adjustment to get it just right for you. Rotating the pad can be useful for getting it to fit your body shape without excessive canting of the gun. Not all trap shooters have the same body shape and some of us are very thankful for that.

Pad Shape-- I don't know. I used a convex shaped pad for a few years and thought it was very good. I put on a concave shaped pad two years ago and I think it is good. I really can't tell much difference. I am afraid that no one has designed a recoil pad that will keep me from lifting my head.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Jones adjustable with a thin pad for cold weather and a fat pad for warm weather. If you are right handed cant the top of the pad to the left. Curved or flat is going to be up to you to decide. HMB

6. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Gary you have a PM.
    Carey

7. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Got it Carey. The gun has a Bill's recoil reducer on it so I have plenty of adjustments to play with. I dropped the pad down some and canted it to the left..I'll try it tomorrow. Feels a little better but I think it's a little short on LOP.
    Thanks for all the hints...Im tempted to go for a PFS but we are talking about mega adjustments on that thing.GaryL.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- My method of adjusting the recoil pad position is rather simple. I bring the gun up to my shoulder but keep my head well off of the comb. I move the gun around my shoulder area until it fits into the natural coutures of my shoulder. Then I move the pad to bring the gun up to my face without a cant.

You mentioned considering a PFS. I think they are great.

Pat Ireland

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Well thanks Pat...that worked. Heading for the range, we'll see.......GaryL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.