1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

- Recoil pad installation Must wood be cut?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

I like the Kickeez sorbathane recoil pads, a lot!

And I like my gunsmith. But everytime he changes a factory pad for a Kickeez he cuts the old one off. And I am tired of that. I am always adding LOP to the stock, that's what I want, not a shortening. So I don't understand why can't he just unscrew the old one and screw-on and shape the new one, one that is the correct length, give or take a 1/4" which I don't really care about.

What happens is he always cuts the pad and a hunk of wood, then he fits on a black spacer thing, and then the new pad, and it is too much plactic and rubber on there.

Is this right? Does it have to be this way?

I am thinking that if he did not cut the wood, when I sell it a new owner could always reinstall the original factory pad if he wanted.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have installed hundreds of pads over the years. I have NEVER cut off the wood, unless a customer required a LOP that necessitated it.

Why would one do that?????

With Perazzi's you have to remove the original pad which is glued on at the factory, but that's a simple task. Others are, of course, screws on.

Are you sure this guy is a GUN smith, and not a cabinet maker?

IMHO.

WW

3. blooch

blooch Member

Unless the pad is glued on or you would like to shorten the stock, I know of no reason that he should be cutting the pad off. Looks like he likes to sell spacers to me.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I take offense at the cabinetmaker response, as I am one and have enough sense to do the right thing as well as any true cabinetmaker. The only reason to cut the wood is if you want the same dimension with a thicker pad or want a shorter stock. No person who knows what he is doing will cut the so short as to have to add a spacer unless the stock maybe had a curved buttplate. Jeff

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Sorry - I do cabinet making myself, so didn't mean to disparage that profession. I guess that popped into my head first, for lack of finding a better example, because I love the wood work.

I cut wood too short too, but not on your gun stock, only on wood for cabinetry.

Whiz

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

You need to find someone else to put on your recoil pads.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The man must not own a screwdriver...unless the pads are epoxied on why WOULD he have to cut the wood???

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Becareful this is the same guy who said his extended chokes were a visual distraction.

Don

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tronspace.com Trons new web page, try him out

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

One of our fellow trapshooters on here ( Tron) recently lost his job and decided to go into business and take a chance. We should all support him. I plan to use him every chance I get. He already had a good reputation for doing good work so I don't see it as a risk. His website is tronspace.com

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Only stocks with a curve in the wood like the older Remington 1100's need to be cut to square up the mounting surface for the pad. It is acceptable to glue spacers to the pad but not to the stock.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cut to shape recoil pad