1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil pad has lost its grip

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Old pad has just smoothed out from use. It will no long grip. A new pad is in order, but what's the quick and easy fix?

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Carb cleaner will get it soft again, or just use sandpaper.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Use solvents with care. Carb. cleaner is acetone and that may simply dissolve a thin layer on the surface. A new pad is the best remedy for a worn pad. If you wish, the old surface can be checkered with a hack saw blade. That looks bad but will sometimes work well.

Pat Ireland

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

MrSkeet- Haven't you ever heard of the Wayno/GL solution?? Get yourself a tube of silicone caulk (permatex works well) from wally world. Put a sizable dab on, and smear it all around w/ your finger, giving it maybe a 1mm-2mm thick "skin", let it cure 24 hrs and your good to go. Depending on the pad its going on, the silicone may come off after a half dozen or so shoots, just re-apply. Worked like a charm on my kickeez and pachmayr pads.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Thanks Skeet_man. Any ideas from from Wayno & Geo are worthy of serious consideration.

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

Quit wasting time and just get a new pad put on.

7. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

1 Inch wide emory board works for me. I touch it up when needed! Ask you wife to get you one, next time she is in the drug store.

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.